Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Vodafone 3G Dongle - Need Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Vodafone 3G Dongle - Need Router

Old 26-12-2008, 21:50   #1
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one
Vodafone 3G Dongle - Need Router

I have a Vodafone 3G Dongle (USB Modem mobile broadband) - The small E172 model that can do 7.2Mbps (ha ha ha! not)

Anyway I am fed up of moving this between my MacBook and MacMini so looking for a router/Access point that can create the connection therefore giving me a wireless network.

I already have a Apple Time-Capsule with Wireless Router capability so looking to extend my network onto the T'Internet with another device to allow my network to see the big world without having equivalent of Internet Connection Sharing running from either Mac - this was I can come home and check mails using iTouch without having to power up a MacBook or Mini.

Anyone actually using anything to use a 3G mobile USB stick on a wireless network?

Thanks
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-12-2008, 21:55   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Vodafone 3G Dongle - Need Router

Can you not get any sort of fixed line Internet service?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 21:59   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Have a look here http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...CategoryID=604
Old 26-12-2008, 22:01   #4
Tricky
Inactive

Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Can you not get any sort of fixed line Internet service?
Yes but that would mean paying BT for a Line as I am the first into my flat (rented) I am not prepared to do this. So unfortunately I am stuck with a Dongle on a 24 month contract!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yes looked at them, they have the Billion Range highlighted and looking at their website they are not compatible with the Huawei E172 that I have
Old 26-12-2008, 23:40   #5
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

A few more from BroadbandBuyer are:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=5266 and http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=5269 or this one: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=3193

---------- Post added at 23:40 ---------- Previous post was at 23:38 ----------

The first two are quite a good investment because what ever type of connection you have you are sorted for a router
Old 26-12-2008, 23:53   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Yes looked at them, they have the Billion Range highlighted and looking at their website they are not compatible with the Huawei E172 that I have
Try this one http://planetprices.co.uk/c-71/p-109...UMR-3G/details

It apparently works with the E170 (And I assume the E172 is just the Vodafone version) http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4eNbBmlpARc
Old 26-12-2008, 23:57   #7
zing_deleted

you do realise that 100 quid almosts covers a years line rental? llu areas offer cheap BB with line rental which would cost not a lot more than you have to play for a dongle. The only times ive seen the dongle as cost effective if main use is at home is in none LLU or cable areas
Old 27-12-2008, 10:22   #8
Tricky
Inactive

Yeah but at the time of signing up for it I was working away quite a bit and was planning on renting for 6 months max, but thanks to the worlds economy and a house to sell before I can buy I am a little stuck