Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin Wireless G Router and Wireless G Network card...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin Wireless G Router and Wireless G Network card...

Old 24-10-2005, 03:06   #16
emsee
Inactive

emsee is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Belkin Wireless G Router and Wireless G Network card...

y wud u say that? i need to no coz i might be buying it tomorro.
emsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-10-2005, 08:32   #17
j52c
Inactive

j52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant future

I had this problem with belkin router with the signal only being around the 40 - 50% mark using the usb adapter. Sometimes it wouldn't connect to the net, and I had to reboot, and once connected, sometimes it would drop the connection. I changed to the network card and while it was more stable, signal strength was still low and it stilled dropped.

After many chats with belkin support, they finally said the only thing that would help is have the second pc nearer to the router and if this was not an option, then I could buy a range extender that they now have, except that it would only work with certain models and mine was not one of them. They said the distances acceptable for the wireless to work without problems were achieved under laboratory conditions and so vary as to my setup.

In the end, I ditched wireless and cabled the pc's.
Will go for a different router eventually.
j52c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2005, 14:50   #18
emsee
Inactive

hey thanx for the info whats your speeds now?
Old 24-10-2005, 16:37   #19
j52c
Inactive

j52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant future

Hi.

Because both pc's are connected by ethernet cable from the router am getting as near as full speeds as possible, it's the best way.
Old 25-10-2005, 00:24   #20
emsee
Inactive

but i cant do mine with wires because the second computer is all tha way upstairs and i dont think they make ethernet wires that long!?
Old 25-10-2005, 01:22   #21
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Yes they do, the maximum length is 100m, how do you think they could build networks in big office buildings otherwise?

Here is a link to a 10 m cable for 1.99
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=43770

And another to an Orange 30m cable, highlighting the trip hazard for £14.10
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=20788
Belkin ship direct from their own warehouse for ebuyer so the delivery is really reliable and quick.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 10:05   #22
emsee
Inactive

so with wired i will get 100% signal strenght and i will get 54Mbps of speed? or will it be the same as having the modem directly connected to the computer?
Old 25-10-2005, 10:27   #23
j52c
Inactive

Hi.

I installed a 25m cable. Only time I noticed any difference is if both pc's are downloading large files at the same time, which doesn't happen now because the wife doesn't use hers all that often.

A lot cheaper than buying a range extender as they are not cheap. Linksys do one now for the same reason, signal strenght.

I looked into the ariel extension for the belkin network card but I think it is only a few centimetres long and screws in where the noe that came with it goes, reall designed for desktop pc and not tower.
Old 25-10-2005, 13:42   #24
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsee
so with wired i will get 100% signal strenght and i will get 54Mbps of speed? or will it be the same as having the modem directly connected to the computer?
Wired does not use a radio signal so you will get a permenant connection with no risk of radio interference. Speed, this will be as fast as the wired card on the router and the PC, if both are 10/100 then you will get 100Mb over the path from the PC to the Router, this will be the same (or close to - as there is NAT translation going on - as the same as connecting the CM direct to the PC), from there out you get the speed of your cable connection. If multiple users are downloading on the cable connection then it will slow as it is a shared resource.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2005, 02:00   #25
emsee
Inactive

ok where can i get a 100m+ ethernet cable from then i cant seem to find any in the uk websites, and when i do they are very expensive
Old 26-10-2005, 16:41   #26
Tightscot
Inactive

Tightscot has reached the bronze age
Tightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsee
ok where can i get a 100m+ ethernet cable from then i cant seem to find any in the uk websites, and when i do they are very expensive

Try reading the previous posts......

1. 100m is the MAXIMUM length. so getting a "100m+" cable will just get you a cable that will not work.

2.SMHarman has told you where to get CAT5 cables - even gave you the links. do you really need more than 30m? - this is roughly 90 foot of cable.... think about it and maybe get a tape measure out.

sorry if i sound a bit rude but i just read through this post - good advice given out - but you obviously haven't taken the time toi read it the replies THOROUGHLY!

ta.
Tightscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2005, 17:25   #27
j52c
Inactive

Yeah,

At that length, wireless would not work anyway, mine struggled at 15mtr, that is why I cabled.