Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Xbox help needed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Xbox help needed

Old 07-09-2010, 19:20   #1
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Xbox help needed

I've just bought a new xbox 360 and am having trouble getting it online.

I've connected it to my computer with the ethernet cable but there's some problem going on somewhere. On my computer (Win7) in network and sharing and 'unidentified network' is there (I'm guessing that's it).

When the xbox runs the connection setup it can't seem to see past the ethernet cable.

Help...

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2010, 19:22   #2
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
Re: Xbox help needed

Why connect to your computer?

you should connect direct to your modem, or your router.

Or did i misunderstand?
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 19:30   #3
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post

I've connected it to my computer with the ethernet cable but there's some problem going on somewhere. On my computer (Win7) in network and sharing and 'unidentified network' is there (I'm guessing that's it).

When the xbox runs the connection setup it can't seem to see past the ethernet cable.

Help...
To get the Xbox online you need to do as Colin has already said and either connect directly to the modem and reboot it in order for it to see the Xbox or if you have a router just connect it into one of the spare ports on the back and the will be no need to reboot..
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 19:32   #4
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

The router is in a different room and I can't get to it. I want to be able to share media with my computer, that's why I want to hook it up to the computer.

I have a usb wireless antenna, should I just plug that in to the xbox to get online?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 07-09-2010, 19:36   #5
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7589_102...hreadID=148107

never done it, but try this link for help. I know ps3 works wirelessly, but I think xbox doesn't have it inbuilt.

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2007/10/...your-xbox-360/
this link seems to be what you want, too lazy to read all
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 19:38   #6
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
The router is in a different room and I can't get to it. I want to be able to share media with my computer, that's why I want to hook it up to the computer.

I have a usb wireless antenna, should I just plug that in to the xbox to get online?
I think that you have to buy the rather expensive Xbox wifi adaptor to get online wirelessly which is why we use a long ethernet cable.

One of the Xbox officianados may be able to give more information about getting wireless.
Old 07-09-2010, 19:42   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
I think that you have to buy the rather expensive Xbox wifi adaptor to get online wirelessly which is why we use a long ethernet cable.

One of the Xbox officianados may be able to give more information about getting wireless.
If it's the NEW Xbox slim then it's got wireless built in, which means you need to connect it to your router Russ and probably putting in your security key in the Xbox.
Old 07-09-2010, 19:47   #8
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post

Depends if he bought the new 'S' model, which has wireless N built in, otherwise hunt around ebay or gamstation for one of the old G adapters. You should be able to get them for about £20 now

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 19:48   #9
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
Depends if he bought the new 'S' model, which has wireless N built in
Snap. you and Snoopz
Old 07-09-2010, 19:49   #10
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Which version Xbox 360?

The new "S" (Slim) one, or an older Core/Arcade/Premium/Pro/Elite?

The Xbox 360 S (250GB & 4GB) has WiFi b/g/n built-in, the older versions do not.

If it's an S, you're sorted. Just connect it to your wireless router.

If it's older, and you want to take it wireless, you need an official Wireless Adapter (£££), or you need some sort of Wireless Bridge. Can't just use a USB WiFi dongle thing.

If you end up being stuck with going via the PC, you should be able to get it online using Windows 7's internet connection sharing. I've not used ICS since the XP days though, & can't remember how to set it up.

MS have instructions here however: http://support.xbox.com/support/en/u...onsharing.aspx

Once connected, sharing media from the PC to the 360 is easy using Win 7's built-in facility (WMP12 and/or WMC), or using free 3rd party software such as TVersity or PS3 Media Server (despite the name it does a good job for the 360 too).
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 19:59   #11
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Once you get all connect you'll also might need the Optional Media Update
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/ga...07df?cid=SLink

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 20:24   #12
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Help...
I cant be sure but I think you have to bridge the two connections for it to work connected to your computer
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 20:26   #13
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Seems like my crappy old computer can't bridge the connections which is what I need to do. It keeps telling me I have to use 2 connections that aren't set up by internet connection sharing or something

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 07-09-2010, 20:30   #14
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Also worth a mention that the new xbox slim wont work on 5Ghz wireless N just 2.4Ghz, as I found out.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 20:32   #15
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Seems like my crappy old computer can't bridge the connections which is what I need to do. It keeps telling me I have to use 2 connections that aren't set up by internet connection sharing or something
Have you got the latest model of xbox? If you have you don't need to connect to your computer, only the router. You can still stream stuff from the computer too.