Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin Router drops internet connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin Router drops internet connection

Old 14-11-2008, 08:39   #1
priceey
Inactive

priceey is an unknown quantity at this point
Belkin Router drops internet connection

Hello there

This is my first post here, so hi.

I have question i am hoping someone can solve, as its really starting to make my teeth itch.

I have a 4 port wireless belkin router connected up to my virgin media cable modem. I think the version of modem is F5D7230-4 or something similar (with 2 rf antenna) and its a v2000 version. Its running the latest firmware according to the belkin website.

My problem is that when using the internet, sometimes a page refuses to load, and then all internet activity is lost. The only way to get it back is to restart the router.

What I dont understand is that while the internet is not working, I am still able to ping websites, but http access is blocked.

As you can imagine this is very annoying, and at the moment it seems to be getting worse.

I have read a few similar posts on here, but i cannot find an answer.

Does anyone know why my router keeps doing this? and more importantly is there a fix for it??

any help is appriciated, as i don't want to fork out on a new router.

Thanks in advance

P.
priceey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-11-2008, 16:00   #2
Axegrinder
Inactive

Services: Virgin BB M 10Mb Freeview
Axegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really nice
Re: Belkin Router drops internet connection

Some belkin routers cause issues with VM's UBRS, in that is renews an IP every 22seconds causing the UBRS to crash.
Axegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 17:15   #3
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aura

Hi priceey to the forum.

I really hope someone can come up with a solution to this problem as I have them same router with the same intermittent problem. I can go for days with no problems then the router will refuse to accept that it has an internet connection and I know I will have to reboot it 2 or 3 times before it becomes stable again. My laptop will show that it has an excellent connection and the modem lights are steady but the router just won't play ball.

As you say it's very annoying.
Old 14-11-2008, 17:46   #4
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axegrinder View Post
Some belkin routers cause issues with VM's UBRS, in that is renews an IP every 22seconds causing the UBRS to crash.
That was the version 7 of this same router and I have had a few calls with this router behaving as you describe.

I would bite the bullet and replace it.

Here is the Belkin support page for your actual router as I do not have one of them, so this should help. http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/pro...pid=F5D7230uk4
Old 14-11-2008, 18:15   #5
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Cheers whydoIneedatech.

When this started I saw the problems with Version 7 and contacted Belkin to see if version 4 had similar problems. I was assured that version 4 had not had similar problems reported and when I posted a thread in August no one else had a similar issue.

Looks like I may have to bite the bullet and get rid of my old friend.
Old 14-11-2008, 18:27   #6
fudge
Inactive

fudge is on a distinguished roadfudge is on a distinguished road

I dont know if this is the same thing but i have a belkin router and now and again my internet kept dropping but then a message came up and automatically found the connection again, last week this happened then a new massage came up telling me the cause of this was my flash player and a new updated version of this would correct the problem and it gave the web site to go on and get this . I updated the new version and touch wood it has not done it since.
fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 18:42   #7
joglynne
Born again teenager.

I have never had any hint that it's a compatibility issue. Once the connection is lost it has never come back without the router being rebooted. I have even shut down both my machines and the next day I have still not had a connection on either my wired main computer or my wifi laptop until I reboot the router.

Guess my next step is to investigate what new router to buy then throw myself at the mercy of you guys on how to get it all set up again.
Old 14-11-2008, 19:01   #8
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I have never had any hint that it's a compatibility issue. Once the connection is lost it has never come back without the router being rebooted. I have even shut down both my machines and the next day I have still not had a connection on either my wired main computer or my wifi laptop until I reboot the router.

Guess my next step is to investigate what new router to buy then throw myself at the mercy of you guys on how to get it all set up again.
Try the link above Jo and see if the is a firmware update for your router before buying a new one.
Old 14-11-2008, 19:10   #9
joglynne
Born again teenager.

OK. But if my modem rolls over and dies I will never forgive you.............
Old 14-11-2008, 19:15   #10
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
OK. But if my modem rolls over and dies I will never forgive you.............
It is Belkins own official firmware so it should be OK, and it may solve the problem rather than having to replace it.
Old 14-11-2008, 19:26   #11
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Ah well, nice idea but on checking the link I have already have the 6.00.21 Firmware Download. My son made a note of doing it in my download diary when he set my laptop up for wifi. I thought you may have cracked it for me for a minute there.

There are times when I would like to give my computers and all their bits a slap round the knees.
Old 18-11-2008, 18:36   #12
priceey
Inactive

priceey is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all the responses.

I had a nice long chap with an guy in India on the Belkin help line.

He told me to do the following:

1. change the router channel to 6
2. changed the wireless control software from the intel controller to windows controller
3. open up services.msc from the run dialog and started the "wireless zero configuration"
4. click on network connections from the my network places window thingy
5. right click on the wireless connection and select properties
6. click on the wireless connections tab
7. click on advanced
8. select "Access point infrastructure networks only"

on friday i was ready to f**k off to PC world to get a new router, as my connection was dying every 20 mins or so

after doing the above set up procedures, the lap top is much better. As to being fixed, I am not 100%, but its a damn sight better.

good luck out there!
priceey is offline   Reply With Quote