Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus

Old 01-12-2021, 22:56   #46
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Why? What evidence do you have this course of action is required at this stage?

What is the risk? Has it been measured and quantified?
Just do as you are asked or not it is up to you . Moaning on a forum like this will make absolutely no difference.

I see you have been here since 2003. In the years since have you ever known anything you have said ( or anyone for that matter ) made any difference to any policy anywhere ever???
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2021, 22:59   #47
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
What is the risk? Has it been measured and quantified?
So you want to see deaths and the NHS overwhelmed first? Seems sensible to take precautions until we know how serious this variant is. We just don't know atm.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 23:02   #48
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
The war I was referring to was WWI. The reparations were what Germany had to pay the allies and the charismatic leader was Hitler. I know the history well enough ta

The differences between then and now are obvious. We have not lost a war we are not paying reparations and well Boris innit
Ok apologies, I misinterpreted your reply.

But there are parallels, the anti-vaxxers (of which I am not) are being vilified by the “good” people. Same with face masks. It’s wholly performative so you can look down on those that don’t want to comply, because you’re a “good” citizen.

When in reality, if you’re vaccinated then it shouldn’t be an issue for you what anyone else does.
Old 01-12-2021, 23:02   #49
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

The difference between shops and pubs is that most people can wear a mask in a shop.

In a pub you have to take the mask off for eating and drinking which is likely to be at least the majority if not all the time you are in there. So there is not really any point wearing a mask at any point whilst in there, since the previous silliness of wearing a mask when you're moving around but not when seated presumably was of little or none effect.

Also, people with underlying conditions can choose not to go to the pub but can't necessarily choose not to go to Tesco for their shopping, or wherever.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 23:03   #50
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
So you want to see deaths and the NHS overwhelmed first? Seems sensible to take precautions until we know how serious this variant is. We just don't know atm.
I have not changed. I still wore a mask even when they said I did not have to. I care about others and want to do what I can to help slow it down. I am frustrated by those who I see as selfish but at least if ever I stand for judgement before my God I will do so with a relatively clear conscience
Old 01-12-2021, 23:06   #51
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Just do as you are asked or not it is up to you . Moaning on a forum like this will make absolutely no difference.
An there was I just about to give you the benefit of the doubt.

It’s a discussion forum, we’re discussing it. If I want to discuss it, it’s not up to you. Just do as you’re asked ( by me) and leave the discussion then.

Quote:
I see you have been here since 2003. In the years since have you ever known anything you have said ( or anyone for that matter ) made any difference to any policy anywhere ever???
You fail to understand the dynamics of a discussion forum.
Old 01-12-2021, 23:08   #52
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Ok

When in reality, if you’re vaccinated then it shouldn’t be an issue for you what anyone else does.
unfortunately I do not believe that is true. The vaccine as has been said slows the spread and stops most people getting seriously ill. We do agree on that I assume? Those who are not vaccinated will carry the virus for a longer period of time and giving it more of a chance to mutate.

SA for example has a 42% vaccination rate and that is now so dunno what it was pre the new variant and look what spawned there.

As far as I am aware the more people vaccinated the less chance of mutations and it only takes one to be as bad as delta dodge the vaccines and kill more and a lot of us will be stuffed then
Old 01-12-2021, 23:09   #53
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
You can’t run the world or your life on the pre-cautionary principle, I mean you can try. I don’t think it’ll work out for you though.
Old 01-12-2021, 23:09   #54
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
An there was I just about to give you the benefit of the doubt.

It’s a discussion forum, we’re discussing it. If I want to discuss it, it’s not up to you. Just do as you’re asked ( by me) and leave the discussion then.

You fail to understand the dynamics of a discussion forum.
I said it was up to you what you do. I do understand the dynamics. We all waste some of our spare time discussing things and make absolutely no difference.

Unless of course you sometimes offer support and then it is not all a waste I guess
Old 01-12-2021, 23:10   #55
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc View Post
The difference between shops and pubs is that most people can wear a mask in a shop.
The difference is it’ll transmit much easier in a pub, club
Old 01-12-2021, 23:10   #56
nffc
cf.mega poster

nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I have not changed. I still wore a mask even when they said I did not have to. I care about others and want to do what I can to help slow it down. I am frustrated by those who I see as selfish but at least if ever I stand for judgement before my God I will do so with a relatively clear conscience
Not singling you out.

But it seems to me that this latest variant has just polarised people.

Those who wanted masks all along still want them, those who didn't, still don't and either refuse or accept them under sufferance.

Though it does make sense to be cautious whilst we're looking at the facts, the indications are that the variant is milder, though there still presumably isn't enough time to be sure about this.

But in the situation where it is personal choice, the important thing is that people need to respect that personal choice. If it isn't mandatory to wear masks, people who choose to should equally not be vilified by those who choose to, as people who choose not to should not be by those who choose to.

After all, they only offer protection if someone who has the virus but doesn't know it spreads it to others. And they do cause some people issues, which is why not everyone has to wear one.

Old 01-12-2021, 23:11   #57
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Because you’re a good citizen, well yay for you.

But not everybody wants to be you.
Old 01-12-2021, 23:11   #58
nffc
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The difference is it’ll transmit much easier in a pub, club
and being totally brutal you have a choice to avoid those

Old 01-12-2021, 23:14   #59
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

I personally think the back to normal was a mistake. I believe they shoudl not have lifted mask rules and to a degree some from of social distancing should have been left in place. I am of ill health and will not go into a pub or a busy market and tbh I avoid shopping as much as I can. A week ago Monday I went to Aldi and it quite busy and I was the only one without a mask. It was like covid did not exist. Well it has not gone anywhere and it is still killing people a hell of a lot more than the flu

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

Quote:
Because you’re a good citizen, well yay for you.

But not everybody wants to be you.
no some people do not give a toss about others. Why should I give a toss about them so make em wear a mask and fine em if they refuse I am all for it
Old 01-12-2021, 23:23   #60
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
unfortunately I do not believe that is true. The vaccine as has been said slows the spread and stops most people getting seriously ill. We do agree on that I assume?
Prevents serious illness, yes. Slows transmission……well does it? By how much? The government have been very sure to advise us that vaccinated people can still catch and transmit the virus.

Quote:
Those who are not vaccinated will carry the virus for a longer period of time and giving it more of a chance to mutate.
Why will they carry it for longer?

Quote:
SA for example has a 42% vaccination rate and that is now so dunno what it was pre the new variant and look what spawned there.
What appears to be fairly high (I don’t have any data) transmissible strain, that results in a “mild” infection.

Quote:
As far as I am aware the more people vaccinated the less chance of mutations
Again, I would have agreed but all I’ve been told by U.K. Gov and by pundits on the tv is that the vaccines are very good at preventing serious illness but you can still catch and transmit.

Quote:
and it only takes one to be as bad as delta dodge the vaccines and kill more and a lot of us will be stuffed then
According to the vaccine manufacturer’s it’s unlikely a strain will evolve that can’t edit a vaccine for.

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc View Post
and being totally brutal you have a choice to avoid those
I won’t be avoiding them, and nor will many many people, therefore they remain a transmission hotbed, but not as bad as shops.