Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The energy crisis

Old 29-09-2021, 18:09   #61
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: Avro and Green Cease Trading

Might open up the fireplace and get the chimney swept . . . I either get affordable heat & light or the environment gets it
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-09-2021, 19:20   #62
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Well it's a lot more than inflation, then they've got the 20% increase in their carbon tax to look forward to next year.
The rates you should be comparing are the increases in the UK and the increases in Germany. That helps in deciding if 90 days' gas storage is helpful in keeping price rises lower or not.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Might open up the fireplace and get the chimney swept . . . I either get affordable heat & light or the environment gets it
Wood can be free but getting the chimney swept is pricey since that pesky law about not using kids was implemented by our woke MPs.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 12:41   #63
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Energy companies collapse

I got an email from Bulb this week trying to increase my direct debit by about £25 a month and waffling on about protecting my account credit against higher winter energy bills. This despite my account already being about £250 in credit, which is more than twice what I actually spend on electricity per month.

For any house that is lit by LED bulbs and heated by anything other than electricity the old adage that you spend a lot more on electricity in the winter no longer holds true. You certainly do spend more, but the difference is not as big, and the stuff that draws power in your house is likely to be in equal use all year round (your router, your games console, your multi-USB charger station, etc). If you have electric showers and an electric cooker then these are the real biggies and their usage will be the same year round. Actually in our house, running a B&B, those things were more used in the summer than winter.

Anyhoo … I went into my account online and reduced the direct debit back to the minimum they would allow, which is now a mere £10 per month more. I will be keeping a close eye on my credit level with them and if it goes up over the next 2 months I will have to contact them directly and insist they reduce the direct debit further. At the moment I can’t shake the feeling that they are more interested in improving their cash flow than in the health of my account.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 12:46   #64
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Agreed - that's why I left them (I was in credit by £100+ as well).

Went to Shell for the same amount I was on at Bulb (£122 per month, which Bulb had wanted to increase by around £20), and since then, Shell have reduced my DD by £15 (and I get 3% off the price of up to 60 litres of petrol per month).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 12:51   #65
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
The rates you should be comparing are the increases in the UK and the increases in Germany. That helps in deciding if 90 days' gas storage is helpful in keeping price rises lower or not.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:18 ----------

Wood can be free but getting the chimney swept is pricey since that pesky law about not using kids was implemented by our woke MPs.
But they don't have 90 days worth stored, and what if they did?
Quote:
While prices are rising fast in Germany, the government has so far no intention to intervene in the market, author Jakob Schlandt writes. Gas storage operator association Ines said that while storage levels are currently unusually low for this time of the year after a cold start to 2021, filling levels could attain 90 percent again before the end of the year from a technical point of view.
Fast-rising gas prices are a matter of concern in many countries across Europe and beyond.
Did you think I made up the reference to their 20% carbon tax hike?
Quote:
higher market prices would fuel the “gas price wave” but also the next stage in national carbon pricing, which is due to go up from 25 to 30 euros per tonne of CO2 in 2022.
MOD EDIT - Please provide links to any quotes, as this helps protect CableForum under the "Fair Usage" Policy...

https://www.cleanenergywire.org/news...t-media-report

Last edited by Hugh; 30-09-2021 at 13:19.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 12:53   #66
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

When I logged into my Bulb account the other day a message popped up saying they suggest i increase my direct debit from £73 to £93 but I won't as I am around £160 in credit.
Old 30-09-2021, 21:48   #67
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

There is no fee to leave bulb.
Shell were another option I looked at.

You can move supplier every 28 days if you want.
So if bulb start getting silly, or expensive, I'll move.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 21:54   #68
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

Bulb are rumoured to be the next ones going under so their DDs might be irrelevant. Octopus are said to have their tentacles on it....
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 22:04   #69
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Rumours are just that.

As it stands, Bulb disagree

Quote:
A spokesperson from Bulb told Express.co.uk: "The reports are not true. We're not in talks with Government or Ofgem about nationalisation and we haven’t asked for a bailout.

"We buy our energy in advance and this means we're protected from the current wholesale costs that some smaller companies have struggled to manage."

With regards to ongoing conversations with investment banks and other suppliers, a spokesperson for Bulb said: “From time to time we explore various opportunities to fund our business plans and further our mission to lower bills and CO2.

“Like everyone in the industry, we’re monitoring wholesale prices and their impact on business.”
Also, even if they did, and someone [like Octopus] took over, I could still just move afterwards if necessary.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 22:05   #70
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

I’m being moved to Shell. But I’ll wait until we’ve moved before I look elsewhere.

Luckily I was with GOTO until a few weeks ago and left them to go to Green. I was £1200 in credit with GOTO and got it all back. I was only with Green for 4 weeks before they went under.
Old 30-09-2021, 22:21   #71
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Also, even if they did, and someone [like Octopus] took over, I could still just move afterwards if necessary.
Your choice might be increasingly limited and prices all very similar and sky high. God bless the free market !
Old 30-09-2021, 22:33   #72
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Your choice might be increasingly limited and prices all very similar and sky high. God bless the free market !
Well, it’s not ideal but it could just be one price with no recourse or options at all.

If you’re happy with that proposition, then why not just have one price for every commodity?

Forget brands, just tins with white labels that simply say “soup” on them, no need for Heinz, Baxter’s or Batchelors or Tesco’s own.

Let’s just have make and model of car………and call it a Lada for old times sake.

Choice is overrated, we just need one of everything, that’ll be much simpler.

Drink vodka, be happy.
Old 30-09-2021, 22:45   #73
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Well, it’s not ideal but it could just be one price with no recourse or options at all.

If you’re happy with that proposition, then why not just have one price for every commodity?

Forget brands, just tins with white labels that simply say “soup” on them, no need for Heinz, Baxter’s or Batchelors or Tesco’s own.

Drink vodka, be happy.
Because some products are genuinely best to the free market. But there has to be attributes of an actually free market with a large number of suppliers and genuine choice throughout the supply chains. Low barriers to entry for new suppliers and little consequences if one fails.

The same isn’t true of the energy market and they’re all relying on the taxpayer to underwrite failure. Unlike a distillery making a diverse range of Vodka brands.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 22:46   #74
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:

Drink vodka, be happy.
I think you may be over simplifying/drinking too much vodka But as far as electric/gas is concerned it's all very similar out of the pipes/wires. Why you pay different depending on which area of the country you're in or which company is bizarre. The OFGEM price cap does effectively mean most will now pay paying very similar high prices, with choice getting restricted by the day.

Go on I'll say it. Nationalise it, with the same price for everyone rich or poor, Shetlands or Cornwall, paying the same rates. The railways are going that way so why not energy? Tragedy of the current system is that the poorest with pre-payment meters pay most. Dickens would have had a field day...
Old 30-09-2021, 22:48   #75
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

Drink vodka, be happy.
I think you’re expecting a bit too much in the way of reasoning and logical thought here. Slogans are as much as some people can cope with.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote