Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media customers risk football blackout

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media customers risk football blackout

Old 22-06-2024, 16:40   #1
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Virgin Media customers risk football blackout

Quote:
Virgin Media customers risk losing access to Premier League football matches amid a row with TNT Sports over broadcasting fees.

Executives at Virgin Media O2 are locked in negotiations with TNT, which is jointly owned by BT and Warner Bros Discovery (WBD), about renewal terms for their contract.

One source said the companies were in “hot dispute” as Virgin Media was seeking a significant price reduction for the new three-year deal, while TNT is trying to maintain the existing terms. Virgin Media is understood to have argued that its cost per subscriber has risen sharply due to declining viewing figures on the channel.

If the two sides fail to strike a deal, Virgin Media customers will lose access to TNT Sports when the current deal expires at the end of July.

TNT, which rebranded from BT Sport last year, owns the rights to Premier League and Champions League football matches, as well as Premiership Rugby games. The channel, which combines BT’s sport offering with WBD’s Eurosport, also offers a host of other sports, including MotoGP, WWE, French Open tennis and this year’s Olympic Games in Paris.

It is understood that access to Eurosport is not affected by the negotiations, meaning the Olympics will still be available to viewers regardless of the outcome.

Virgin Media customers can watch TNT thanks to a so-called carriage deal between the two companies, which sees the pay-TV provider pay a fee to offer the channel to subscribers.

However, Virgin sparked anger last year when it removed the channel from its TV bundles, meaning it is now a paid add-on.

If the companies fail to renew the contract, Virgin could risk losing customers, although sources insisted that TNT could still be accessed through other subscriptions.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...remier-league/

Numbers have fallen as they've taken BT sports out of the main tv pack. This is a cock up of VMs making again.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-06-2024, 16:48   #2
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one
Re: Virgin Media customers risk football blackout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...remier-league/

Numbers have fallen as they've taken BT sports out of the main tv pack. This is a cock up of VMs making again.
The removal from the top pack was Discovery's request
Old 22-06-2024, 17:21   #3
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Indeed, Discovery are just paving the way to the low cost streaming future.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 20:17   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

The trouble is Paramount, Di$covery & Di$ney all pulled their channels from VM, Sky etc, and put them on their own premium platform.

I used to watch NCIS on Fox, but no it was put on Di$ney, and now they are wondering why the viewing figures have dropped.

I once actually worked out how much it would cost if you bough all these premium channels and excluding VM, Sky etc it was about £120 per month

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 23:43   #5
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered stars

Hardly a football blackout, TNT are a small fraction of the premiership games.
Sky have the majority - I dont have TNT at all, and still manage to watch tons of football every week.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2024, 02:06   #6
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Im glad your not affected Paul......

All these stupid disputes dont have to be if the networks werent so bloody greedy!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2024, 02:33   #7
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Paramount+ costs me nothing as I get it free with Sky Movies on Sky.

We pay for TNT Sport but mainly the wife that wanted it. I don't like watching Football on TV. Just not the same as being there.
Old 23-06-2024, 08:08   #8
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Discovery+ is free too from Sky and BTtv/EEtv. You get the sports channels included if they are in your Sky/BT/EE pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Paramount+ costs me nothing as I get it free with Sky Movies on Sky.

We pay for TNT Sport but mainly the wife that wanted it. I don't like watching Football on TV. Just not the same as being there.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2024, 10:21   #9
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

It's difficult from that article to work out exactly what the arguments are. But, perhaps, Virgin pay a cost per subscriber but subject to a minimum annual fee/collar paid by Virgin built into the terms. So the cost per subsciber would have worked out cheaper when more customers had XL. But now VM are still paying the minimum annual fee to TNT, but with far fewer customers subscribing to the channels?
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2024, 14:02   #10
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Virgin media never learn from their past mistakes.
Old 23-06-2024, 14:11   #11
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Tbh I'm not that bothered about the Premiership. It was nice for National League football and Aussie cricket in winter, but I can live without it. Most of these things are free to stream anyway if you know the right places.

However it could be great leverage to get VM bills lowered come contract negotiations. I will of course tell them I'm devastated to lose TNT and mention the SKY word . Worked with the similar UKtv dispute a few years ago, discounts/compensation aplenty.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2024, 15:19   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Thats a pretty vague statement, what do you mean exactly ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2024, 17:55   #13
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
What are they supposed to do?

Discovery as a content provider want to extract top dollar and are charging Sky customers £25 a month. Wholesaling it to Virgin at any price undermines their own model.

The rationale why Setanta, ESPN and BT at first were keen to wholesale because they’d fledgeling models. Fixed, guaranteed income was helpful.

Last edited by jfman; 23-06-2024 at 18:02.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 13:58   #14
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Thats a pretty vague statement, what do you mean exactly ?
SKY, UKTV but on reflection Jfman does have a very good point in his reply to me too, maybe i was to harsh on vm.
Old 24-06-2024, 14:18   #15
Media Boy UK
My post info may change

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
SKY, UKTV but on reflection Jfman does have a very good point in his reply to me too, maybe i was to harsh on vm.
Also BT Sports did launch on Virgin - two week later then launch date.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote