Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Britain outside the EU

Old 09-09-2021, 07:47   #2371
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Trust relies on nations living up to the agreements they signed up to, old chap...

Just because the Express and the Spectator say Macron hates the Brits, doesnt make it true...
And honouring agreements means acting in the spirit of those agreements, not interpreting them in such a way that you deliberately put up barriers that puts the other side at a disadvantage.

---------- Post added at 07:47 ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Macron's annoying and I don't like him atall but I'm not sure he hates our guts.
No, he hates our guts. Just wait for the energy shortage we will probably face this coming winter and watch what he does with the interconnectors on which we rely.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:39   #2372
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Just wait for the energy shortage we will probably face this coming winter and watch what he does with the interconnectors on which we rely.
Even I'm not that pessimistic about Brexit, Old Boy!
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:05   #2373
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
And honouring agreements means acting in the spirit of those agreements, not interpreting them in such a way that you deliberately put up barriers that puts the other side at a disadvantage.

---------- Post added at 07:47 ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 ----------

[/COLOR]

No, he hates our guts. Just wait for the energy shortage we will probably face this coming winter and watch what he does with the interconnectors on which we rely.
And you don’t think this could be equally applied to British ‘acting in the spirit"?

"Acting in the spirit" is just an excuse used by people trying to weasel out of their responsibilities - contracts/agreements/treaties are worded to be clear and precise, and to avoid ambiguity, and if things are unambiguous, you can’t say "well, I want it to mean something different because that suits me"…

"Acting in the spirit of the agreement" does not mean taking unilateral action which breaches the Agreement.

---------- Post added at 09:05 ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 ----------

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Even I'm not that pessimistic about Brexit, Old Boy!
It’s "projection" - it’s what he would do, so he assumes others would act in the same "spirit"…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:36   #2374
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

I don't think I've ever seen, signed, or ripped up a contract that was 'worded to be clear and precise' . . . they usually have some strange legally worded bollox in there to get you with later
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 13:44   #2375
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
And honouring agreements means acting in the spirit of those agreements, not interpreting them in such a way that you deliberately put up barriers that puts the other side at a disadvantage.[COLOR="Silver"]
<snip>
Really ?? Where's that legally defined then?

Like i said, this isn't a game of cricket.
Old 09-09-2021, 14:21   #2376
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
I don't think I've ever seen, signed, or ripped up a contract that was 'worded to be clear and precise' . . . they usually have some strange legally worded bollox in there to get you with later
words like protocol
Old 09-09-2021, 16:26   #2377
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Looks like Barnier has learned something from Brexit.

Quote:
We must regain our legal sovereignty to no longer be subject to the judgments of the CJEU or the ECHR. We will propose a referendum in September on the question of immigration.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 16:34   #2378
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
A fuller quote:

Quote:
t seems Michel Barnier has undergone something of a transformation in recent months. Gone is the starry-eyed Eurocrat who decried the 'cherry picking' of Perfidious Albion and insisted that 'the single market and its four freedoms are indivisible'. In his place stands the defender of national sovereignty, a patriotic champion of French self-interest against Big Brussels.

This new-found Euroscepticism is of course due to Barnier's decision to run for the French presidency. The former Brexit negotiator clearly thinks he can succeed where David Cameron failed, judging by his pronouncements today on the need for France to renegotiate its relationship with the EU. Barnier told members of his Republican party today that:

“We must regain our legal sovereignty in order to no longer be subject to the judgments of the CJEU or the ECHR. We will propose a referendum in September on the question of immigration.

A manifesto which, er, curiously resembles Cameron's own demands that the EU rejected in early 2016. 'Legal sovereignty' if enacted would of course mean ignoring the EU's court rulings and the Council of Europe – a proposal that prompted paroxysms of outrage when Brandon Lewis suggested similar.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...xity-manifesto

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 17:01   #2379
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Barnier is after the Le Pen votes by the look of it. France has always been a more 'union of nations' kind of country compared to others within the EU
jonbxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 17:14   #2380
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Just because you didn’t understand it, doesn’t mean it wasn’t clear & precise (in legal terms).

The challenge most lay-people (myself included) have with contract wording is that certain words have very precise agreed legal definitions, defined through many court cases and precedence, which is why they are used.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:33   #2381
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Barnier is after the Le Pen votes by the look of it. France has always been a more 'union of nations' kind of country compared to others within the EU
Can you imagine a politician completely changing his viewpoint on something just to be elected Leader of his country?

It couldn't happen here...
Old 10-09-2021, 20:48   #2382
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
And you don’t think this could be equally applied to British ‘acting in the spirit"?

"Acting in the spirit" is just an excuse used by people trying to weasel out of their responsibilities - contracts/agreements/treaties are worded to be clear and precise, and to avoid ambiguity, and if things are unambiguous, you can’t say "well, I want it to mean something different because that suits me"…

"Acting in the spirit of the agreement" does not mean taking unilateral action which breaches the Agreement.
Why are you continually batting for the other side, Hugh?

I believe that if one party is deliberately construing a contract in a way that was not a reasonable interpretation of what it meant, the other side is perfectly entitled to call foul.

I have already cited the example of the EU insistence that each sandwich must be separately labelled on a consignment, instead of having one label for each batch of like sandwiches. Are you trying to defend that infantile interpretation of what was supposed to have been agreed?

Too much bureaucracy kills off private enterprise. That’s why the EU is doing this.
Old 10-09-2021, 20:53   #2383
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:

I believe that if one party is deliberately construing a contract in a way that was not a reasonable interpretation of what it meant, the other side is perfectly entitled to call foul.

I have already cited the example of the EU insistence that each sandwich must be separately labelled on a consignment, instead of having one label for each batch of like sandwiches. Are you trying to defend that infantile interpretation of what was supposed to have been agreed?

Too much bureaucracy kills off private enterprise. That’s why the EU is doing this
I'm looking forward to Hugh's answer.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 21:41   #2384
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

Too much bureaucracy kills off private enterprise. That’s why the EU is doing this.
I’m straight…

Re sandwiches - I can’t find any link to sandwich-related post from you in this, or any other, thread, so I can neither confirm or deny the veracity of your statement.

However, it’s strange - when I buy a sandwich from Sainsbury’s (other supermarkets & fast food shops are available), the individual sandwich packaging contains information like

Quote:
INGREDIENTS: Malted Bread (Fortified Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Water, Malted Wheat Flakes, Wheat Bran, Yeast, Salt, Malted Barley Flour, Emulsifiers: Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Mono- and Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids; Wheat Gluten, Malted Wheat Flour, Rapeseed Oil, Flour Treatment Agent: Ascorbic Acid; Wheat Flour, Wheat Starch), Maple Cured Smoked Bacon (18%) (Pork Belly, Maple Syrup, Sugar, Salt, Antioxidant: Sodium Ascorbate; Preservative:Sodium Nitrite), Tomatoes (17%), Lettuce (8%), Water, Rapeseed Oil, Cornflour, Pasteurised Free Range Egg Yolk, Spirit Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, Pasteurised Free Range Egg, Concentrated Lemon Juice, Black Mustard Seeds.
and

So they’re asking for what we already do in the U.K.?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 16A5C313-DF7D-4698-85FC-5A047F078762.jpeg (53.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-09-2021, 21:42   #2385
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I'm looking forward to Hugh's answer.
Please see above - hth…