Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The boat people

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Missing Titanic Sub

Old 22-06-2023, 08:43   #1
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
Missing Titanic Sub

It's not looking good for the 5 people on board the missing sub. This was a tragic accident waiting to happen. This has been stated by many that has done the expedition and from those that have cancelled due to safety concerns of the actual sub.

I'm not sure what to think about it all. The less I think about it the better for what they must be going through or gone through. But they all sign waivers / disclaimers that mention death 3 times on the first page. They knew what they were getting themselves in for. As for a father letting his son to accept this risk I find it a bit hard to take.

I'm sure there will be an investigation into the owners / company (OceanGate) but if they knew what they were signing up for then I'm not sure how it'll go.
Old 22-06-2023, 09:20   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Missing Titanic Sub

This is what the waiver is for. It is obviously dangerous by its very nature and things can go wrong with pretty much everything. This would never happen to me the same as I would never die from mountain climbing or bungie jumping or parachuting out of a plane.

Horrid way to go though
Old 22-06-2023, 09:22   #3
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Waivers don’t stop people being sued or prosecuted for negligence or things not being "fit for purpose".
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 09:30   #4
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

I find it almost impossible to believe what is going on.

Even though most of the people on board made a choice to go, their friends and relatives didn't but they still have to deal with imagining the fear and desperation of the people they love trapped in what may end up being their coffin. I don't think I could deal with what is happening if it were my husband or son.

Quote:
Titanic sub search: Hunt for missing vessel turns critical with oxygen supply due to run out just after midday
https://news.sky.com/story/titanic-s...idday-12907371
Old 22-06-2023, 09:41   #5
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Waivers don’t stop people being sued or prosecuted for negligence or things not being "fit for purpose".
I have not really kept up. I guess there is reason to believe the vessel was not fit?
Old 22-06-2023, 10:08   #6
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

It’s launched from international waters to avoid US regulations for a start.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 10:24   #7
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I'm afraid they'll only be recovering bodies. I'd be interested to know what contingencies where in place to cover this situation.

They say they lost communications after two hours, I believe it takes longer than that to reach the site, which would suggest a failure with the sub as opposed to the sub being snagged on wreckage.

I would have thought such a sub/ operation would have:

1. Redundant power systems should one fail.
2. An independent battery powered transponder.
3. An umbilical to the surface vessel.
4. A duplicate sub on the surface vessel capable of retrieving the sister sub.

and I'm sure there are other mitigations that could have been in place. I know it's a risk doing this kind of thing but you have to cover off as many what ifs as possible, and a power failure must be the No.1 on the what if list.
Old 22-06-2023, 10:53   #8
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
The task was huge: Finding a craft the size of a minivan in an area twice the size of the state of Connecticut and up to 2½ miles deep.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...g-submersible/

It's the depth that the submersible reaches just to see something through a window rather than on a TV screen that makes the whole trip seem a stupid to me.
Old 22-06-2023, 11:12   #9
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I can only assume everyone on the search is seeing the dollar signs as a reward for finding it.
Old 22-06-2023, 11:27   #10
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I can only assume everyone on the search is seeing the dollar signs as a reward for finding it.
I can only assume you forgot to take your anti-"world-beating cynic" medication today…

From the Washington Post

Quote:
An operation of this magnitude could run into the millions of dollars between costs for fuel, personnel and maintenance. But the company involved will not be responsible for reimbursing the government, Zukunft said.
“It’s no different,” he said, “than if a private citizen goes out and his boat sinks. We go out and recover him. We don’t stick them with the bill after the fact.”
https://wapo.st/46ha4Lm
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 11:46   #11
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I can only assume you forgot to take your anti-"world-beating cynic" medication today…

From the Washington Post

https://wapo.st/46ha4Lm
I’m sure billionaires facing certain death would be eternally grateful upon their return. Invoice or no invoice.

Don’t see many folk fishing for survivors in the Med.
Old 22-06-2023, 11:47   #12
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It’s launched from international waters to avoid US regulations for a start.
It’s launched from international waters because that’s where the Titanic is, though I don’t doubt lack of regulation at that location is also highly convenient to their business model.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 14:33   #13
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I think the thrill for adventure must have overtook any doubts over safety concerns.

Something of this magnitude (when you consider how far deep the Titanic is located) should have had much higher safety systems in place. Whether it was the excitement of exploration or the proffit making potential of this business, there should have been much more safety systems and legislation / certifications of equipment in place to ensure these subs could cope.

Even if all comms failed you'd think there would be some sort of manual deployment of an air baloon or something that could rise to the suface and catch peoples attention.

If a plane goes down in the ocean they all have an Underwater location Becacon. These should work in ideal conditions upto 5km underwater and upto 1.5km in worst case situaitons.
Why didnt they have that?!

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 17:00   #14
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

'Debris field' discovered within search area near Titanic, US Coast Guard says

https://news.sky.com/story/debris-fi...-says-12906735
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 19:15   #15
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
'Debris field' discovered within search area near Titanic, US Coast Guard says

https://news.sky.com/story/debris-fi...-says-12906735
Well, it won’t be much of a field, things don’t tend to explode at that depth.