Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless router ADSL -> DSL

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless router ADSL -> DSL

Old 01-08-2005, 21:34   #1
benpollinger
Inactive

benpollinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless router ADSL -> DSL

Hello folks,

I am currently on BT, using an ADSL wireless router/modem, the US Robotics 9106: http://www.usr-emea.com/support/s-pr...unkg&prod=9106

I will soon be moving to a house with NTL, and will get DSL broadband. Would I be able to connect the (wired) NTL supplied router to my current wireless router, so it can serve as a wireless AP? Or would I need to buy a new DSL wireless router?

cheers,
Ben
benpollinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2005, 21:40   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Wireless router ADSL -> DSL

to Cable Forum

Unfortunately combined ADSL modem with routers do not operate on cable systems. There is no provision on such combined kit to output the router only function to a WAN connection that would attach to a cable modem or Set Top Box. ADSL and cable are different technologies so ADSL modems are incompatible with cable.

best suggestion, if you opt for cable is to ebay your existing kit, and buy a new router. If you then ever return to ADSL the router standalone could be used on ADSL simply by adding an ADSL modem.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 22:15   #3
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by benpollinger
Hello folks,

I am currently on BT, using an ADSL wireless router/modem, the US Robotics 9106: http://www.usr-emea.com/support/s-pr...unkg&prod=9106

I will soon be moving to a house with NTL, and will get DSL broadband. Would I be able to connect the (wired) NTL supplied router to my current wireless router, so it can serve as a wireless AP? Or would I need to buy a new DSL wireless router?

cheers,
Ben

you say your getting DSL broadband does this mean its not a NTL cabled area and your gonna use the Freedom package and a BT line????

and also
Old 02-08-2005, 01:33   #4
benpollinger
Inactive

Thanks for the welcomes.

To clarify, I'm currently not in a cabled area (hence ADSL), but am moving to an NTL area, so plan to get their cable BB package:
http://www.home.ntl.com/page/broadband2

I know ADSL and DSL are different, but just hoped to be able to use whatever NTL supply to connect to the net, then use the router functions of my current wireless box to share the connection (obviously not the ADSL modem functions)

Ah well, looks like it's ebay...

cheers,
Ben
Old 02-08-2005, 01:36   #5
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by benpollinger
Thanks for the welcomes.

To clarify, I'm currently not in a cabled area (hence ADSL), but am moving to an NTL area, so plan to get DSL.

I know ADSL and DSL are different, but just hoped to be able to use whatever NTL supply to connect via DSL, then use the router functions of my current wireless box to share the connection (obviously not the ADSL modem functions)

Ah well, looks like it's ebay...

cheers,
Ben
DSL = family of digital telecommunications protocols designed to allow high speed data communication over the existing copper telephone lines between end-users and telephone companies

stolen from here http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&q=defineSL

the A in ADSL just means that upload and download are different speeds (asymetrical )

Cable isnt DSL and will use a different modem so you will need to purchase a new router
Old 02-08-2005, 06:42   #6
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

Ben to save all the hassle you are likely to have I would get BT reinstalled and I think they will even do it for free but I am not 100% on that. Some of the other members of here will agree with me in saying that NTL are not the best and if you are unlucky you can go from problem to problem. If that was me I would have BT reinstalled but then again thats me, it's up to you.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:21   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

NTLl "may not be the best", but neither are a number of BT based suppliers. Look at the issues a lot of LLU ISPs are having like Bulldog. While I am not a member of the ntl fan club, I feel it is harsh to make such a sweeping statement. Bear in mind that by the very nature of this site we will have many who come here to expresss dissatisfaction with their cable setup. Equally however if you go to ADSL based fourms, you willl see many expressing disspointment with their ISP.

It can depend on where you are, how far you are from an exchange as to whether ADSL or Cable is likely to be the better option. Headline speeds of up to 8meg on ADSL frequently prove impractical due to distance.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 13:15   #8
benpollinger
Inactive

Thanks folks. In terms of the whole home package (broadband, phone, TV), NTL seems a good deal. I can live with buying a new router and flogging my current one if I must.

I'd agree that 'customer experience' of any provider seems rather variable - I've had no problems with BT and FireNet (ADSL reseller), but seen plenty of complaints about both. In a previous home, Telewest were a nightmare, but a friend has had good service from them.

I am on 512kbps for now, and am just starting to find it slow for a few things, so any NTL package will be an upgrade.

cheers one again,
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb
Cable isnt DSL and will use a different modem so you will need to purchase a new router
Ach, my bad, thanks for that.
Old 02-08-2005, 14:44   #9
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C
NTLl "may not be the best", but neither are a number of BT based suppliers. Look at the issues a lot of LLU ISPs are having like Bulldog. While I am not a member of the ntl fan club, I feel it is harsh to make such a sweeping statement. Bear in mind that by the very nature of this site we will have many who come here to expresss dissatisfaction with their cable setup. Equally however if you go to ADSL based fourms, you willl see many expressing disspointment with their ISP.

It can depend on where you are, how far you are from an exchange as to whether ADSL or Cable is likely to be the better option. Headline speeds of up to 8meg on ADSL frequently prove impractical due to distance.

Dont start me on LLU etc etc etc