Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Elon Musk $44 Billion Twitter deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Elon Musk $44 Billion Twitter deal

Old 05-12-2022, 13:17   #196
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: [Updated] Elon Musk $44 Billion Twitter deal back on

Elon Musk is someone who bet lots of money on big gambles that paid off. He certainly had a knack for identifying investment opportunities and then for throwing everything at those investments to ensure they paid off.

I think after SpaceX the subsequent fame has gone to his head a bit and we're seeing a very public midlife crisis. He started to enjoy provoking reactions on Twitter, he tries to position himself as an 'alpha male' tech bro, he would always be seen with celebrities at Hollywood shows and I believe that this Twitter acquisition was a stunt that went wrong. He let the notoriety that surrounded his public persona run away from him and ended up making a $40 billion deal that he tried, then failed, to get out of.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2022, 13:35   #197
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Don't worry he isn't. He may think he is but that's what being an arrogant, over-entitlement billionaire does for you. The man is a petulant bully: he sacks anyone who stands up to him and tells him thinks he does not want to hear and, at the same, time pretends he is the saviour of "free speech".

Don't worry, the only "free speech" he is interested in is what suits his personal and, now conservative, agenda. His definition of free speech is to allow back allow back neo-Nazis and white supremacist nut jobs to allow them to vent their bile.
Utter lefty typical nonsense.

While it was a mistake, to allow “Ye” aka Kanye West back on Twitter, he’s now banned again, & he is black btw so how he can be a “White supremacist”, is beyond me.

Elon Musk had not allowed back White supremacists on, under old regime at Twitter HQ, Trump should never have been banned, he was a sitting president, the same stupid lefty pricks at Twitter, now fired and rightly so, given their inability to be impartial and only targeting Conservative/Republican accounts, allowed Putin and leaders of other dubious Human rights record to post their propaganda bullshit, but I didn’t and still don’t see you whinging about their accounts Being allowed on.

But he’s not unbanned Alex Jones, who I agree is a nut job.

Musk previously voted Democrat, but because of their stupid woke policies, stupidity during covid responses (that are still ongoing in some states) and the fact every city they run, turns to shit with high crime and high homelessness, he’s switched sides, serves the pathetic Democrats right, they have senile dementia ridden president, that if they cared much about, they would 25th Amendment him.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 13:45   #198
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Elon Musk is someone who bet lots of money on big gambles that paid off. He certainly had a knack for identifying investment opportunities and then for throwing everything at those investments to ensure they paid off.

I think after SpaceX the subsequent fame has gone to his head a bit and we're seeing a very public midlife crisis. He started to enjoy provoking reactions on Twitter, he tries to position himself as an 'alpha male' tech bro, he would always be seen with celebrities at Hollywood shows and I believe that this Twitter acquisition was a stunt that went wrong. He let the notoriety that surrounded his public persona run away from him and ended up making a $40 billion deal that he tried, then failed, to get out of.
Yes, though I don’t think it’s correct to characterise him as simply the money man. At SpaceX, in particular, he consciously backed a particular approach to rocket development (and continues to do so), and was willing to back it to the limit of his available funds. The original Falcon One rocket was proven more or less at the last gasp. Obviously he’s not a rocket scientist himself but he clearly grasps enough of the history and potential of rocket design to make useful leadership decisions at SpaceX.

Then he leaves it to the likes of Jessie Anderson to actually build the things* and tell us all how clever they are. At least I think that’s what she’s saying, I get a bit distracted.

* She’s a bona-fide Falcon 9 production engineer as well as front-person for SpaceX launch day webcasts
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CA9E1F71-9304-4FB0-BAF4-FCE735970155.jpeg (80.9 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Chris; 05-12-2022 at 13:49.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 14:06   #199
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Don't worry he isn't. He may think he is but that's what being an arrogant, over-entitlement billionaire does for you. The man is a petulant bully: he sacks anyone who stands up to him and tells him thinks he does not want to hear and, at the same, time pretends he is the saviour of "free speech".

Don't worry, the only "free speech" he is interested in is what suits his personal and, now conservative, agenda. His definition of free speech is to allow back allow back neo-Nazis and white supremacist nut jobs to allow them to vent their bile.
This post will be filed under "I don't really know the facts and just follow the narrative"

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 13:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The ‘good work’ Ramrod is talking about is described in the links he provided. Something to do with publishing censored tweets about Joe Biden’s son. Whether or not that’s good work I can’t be bothered to decide.
Well he has exposed that Twitter withheld a legitimate news story in an election cycle at the behest of the DNC that may have harmed Biden's campaign. I'm sure that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Twitter is not the centre of the universe, but it does exert more influence than it probably deserves and "Big Tech" should not be in the business of deciding what is fit for our consumption.
Old 05-12-2022, 14:06   #200
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
This post will be filed under "I don't really know the facts and just follow the narrative"
Spot on.

What’s really going on, is that the left now hate the fact they don’t control the narrative. Twitter was their breeding ground for promoting woke policies, anyone who previously argued with them, ultimately got banned, they felt an extra sense of protection, but not any more and the left don’t like it.

It’s why all these pathetic lefty echo chambers are popping up all over the place, as an “alternative”. Makes me want to puke.
Old 05-12-2022, 16:03   #201
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Yes, though I don’t think it’s correct to characterise him as simply the money man. At SpaceX, in particular, he consciously backed a particular approach to rocket development (and continues to do so), and was willing to back it to the limit of his available funds. The original Falcon One rocket was proven more or less at the last gasp. Obviously he’s not a rocket scientist himself but he clearly grasps enough of the history and potential of rocket design to make useful leadership decisions at SpaceX.
Well, I assume this is because he had smart people to help him make such decisions which is what makes his antics with Twitter so bizarre. He seems to be playing to the gallery as opposed to what's best for the company.

---------- Post added at 16:03 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
It’s why all these pathetic lefty echo chambers are popping up all over the place, as an “alternative”. Makes me want to puke.
That's internet 101. Plenty of right-wing echo chambers as well: Rumble, Truth Social and Parler for a bit. Facebook Groups, right-wing YouTubers and Subreddits.

People love their echo chambers whatever they are on the political divide.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 16:17   #202
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Utter lefty typical nonsense.

While it was a mistake, to allow “Ye” aka Kanye West back on Twitter, he’s now banned again, & he is black btw so how he can be a “White supremacist”, is beyond me.

Elon Musk had not allowed back White supremacists on, under old regime at Twitter HQ, Trump should never have been banned, he was a sitting president, the same stupid lefty pricks at Twitter, now fired and rightly so, given their inability to be impartial and only targeting Conservative/Republican accounts, allowed Putin and leaders of other dubious Human rights record to post their propaganda bullshit, but I didn’t and still don’t see you whinging about their accounts Being allowed on.

But he’s not unbanned Alex Jones, who I agree is a nut job.

Musk previously voted Democrat, but because of their stupid woke policies, stupidity during covid responses (that are still ongoing in some states) and the fact every city they run, turns to shit with high crime and high homelessness, he’s switched sides, serves the pathetic Democrats right, they have senile dementia ridden president, that if they cared much about, they would 25th Amendment him.
Let's put aside the lazy "lefty" tropes for a minute and examine who Musk "unbanned" recently, and yes he did unban Kanye West who did not then play nice and is banned again. Too much Hitler loving it seems. Other notable unbanned are Andrew Anglin, one of America’s most notorious neo-Nazis. The creator of the white supremacist website The Daily Stormer who had been banned from the social media platform for nearly a decade.

The notorious "lefty rag" Daily Mail is reporting:

From Donald Trump's adviser Steve Bannon to rapper Wiley: The banned accounts that could soon return to Twitter under Elon Musk's suspension 'amnesty'

People like Katie Hopkins, Tommy Robinson and Steve Bannon may be posting again ..

The arrogance of Musk is that his opinion is the only one that counts here and it seems his love of himself will eventually poison Twitter and turn it in to cesspool of hate.

---------- Post added at 16:17 ---------- Previous post was at 16:14 ----------

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint but I know the facts. Never knew neo-nazis were your thing, takes all sorts I guess.
Old 05-12-2022, 16:30   #203
Mick
Cable Forum Team

You do not know the facts at all ianch99, you stated in an earlier post they had already been unbanned and are now saying they may be unbanned, which is it?

He also unbanned far left Kathy Griffin.

---------- Post added at 16:30 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Well, I assume this is because he had smart people to help him make such decisions which is what makes his antics with Twitter so bizarre. He seems to be playing to the gallery as opposed to what's best for the company.

---------- Post added at 16:03 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

That's internet 101. Plenty of right-wing echo chambers as well: Rumble, Truth Social and Parler for a bit. Facebook Groups, right-wing YouTubers and Subreddits.

People love their echo chambers whatever they are on the political divide.
The left are not being persecuted and banned like the right have been, under prior regime, too right, alternatives for conservatives voices were created to stop the heavy censorship coming from the left. I’m only a member on Twitter. Truth Social is a disaster, GettR is no better, Parler got banned by Apple App Store, tells you all need to know how much power the left was holding over the right, it had to end.
Old 05-12-2022, 16:35   #204
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
You do not know the facts at all ianch99, you stated in an earlier post they had already been unbanned and are now saying they may be unbanned, which is it?

He also unbanned far left Kathy Griffin.
Don't twist my words.

I don't really care on what side of the political divide they are, what I care about is their ability to spew hate & bile in order to mislead.

Twitter, or any mainstream social media platform, has no place for neo-Nazi's, white supremacists, insurrectionists, left-wing violent anarchists, antisemites, etc.
Old 05-12-2022, 16:58   #205
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Don't twist my words.

I don't really care on what side of the political divide they are, what I care about is their ability to spew hate & bile in order to mislead.

Twitter, or any mainstream social media platform, has no place for neo-Nazi's, white supremacists, insurrectionists, left-wing violent anarchists, antisemites, etc.
Is why such accounts are banned, Kanye West posted the Swastika, was also said to have given praise for Adolf Hitler, he is now banned, quite rightly too. So no Neo-Nazism claptrap are/is allowed as you profess. If it gets seen or reported, it will be banned, free speech doesn’t mean free reach, Musk’s own words.
Old 05-12-2022, 17:13   #206
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint but I know the facts. Never knew neo-nazis were your thing, takes all sorts I guess.
I refer you Damiens post. There are far left commentators on and far right commentators.

On a platform like Twitter there should be space for both.

Unless you equate far left = good & far right = bad, but I already know the answer to that. Any one that equates Katie Hopkins to a neo-Nazi is already too far gone.

before you ask, I think extremes in either direction are bad.
Old 05-12-2022, 17:33   #207
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I refer you Damiens post. There are far left commentators on and far right commentators.

On a platform like Twitter there should be space for both.

Unless you equate far left = good & far right = bad, but I already know the answer to that. Any one that equates Katie Hopkins to a neo-Nazi is already too far gone.

before you ask, I think extremes in either direction are bad.
You literally do not read posts do you? I certainly did not equate "Katie Hopkins to a neo-Nazi" and I also said:

Quote:
I would actually say, using your simplistic equivalence: "far left = bad & far right = bad" but you may not read this statement ..
Old 05-12-2022, 17:45   #208
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Just to say, I also consider far left and far right to be bad, I haven’t seen anywhere where Musk is creating a platform for them. If content is illegal & racist attacks are in most civilised countries, such accounts will be dealt with. Accounts already banned, not all will be granted amnesty.
Old 05-12-2022, 17:59   #209
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Why don't you read the links?
Becasue I cant be arsed with more sites that want me to make cookie choices.

Just posting links with no explanation at all is just lazy posting.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 18:28   #210
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Becasue I cant be arsed with more sites that want me to make cookie choices.

Just posting links with no explanation at all is just lazy posting.
*sigh*....here:

Quote:
How Twitter suppressed the Hunter Biden laptop story

Musk, has released a long Twitter ‘thread’ citing company emails which show how the website colluded with political actors to censor sensitive information in the run up to the 2020 election. The most shocking document is this one:

What that message suggests is that Joe Biden’s campaign would flag content it didn’t approve of and Twitter would simply ‘handle’ — i.e. suppress — it.

On October 14, 2020, less than a month before election day, the Post published ‘BIDEN’S SECRET EMAILS’: an exposé that used files obtained from Hunter Biden’s laptop and which suggested that ‘the big guy’ — possibly Joe Biden, the man running to be president — may have been involved in his son’s business dealings.

Perhaps the most disturbing part of Taibbi’s revelations is that they aren’t that surprising. Everybody knew that Twitter covered up a story that may have harmed Joe Biden. It’s just now we can see the evidence — and for that we should thank Twitter’s unorthodox new owner.