Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 20mph is just the start.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

20mph is just the start.

Old 27-09-2023, 13:47   #46
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: 20mph is just the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Teachers and parents who were confused that whilst promoting walking and cycling, there was little or no input about road safety. They thought they were going to get a modern version of The Tufty Club or Green Cross Code.
Which it isn’t…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-09-2023, 12:47   #47
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Think I'd rather be hit at 20mph than 30mph. Strange, I know.
Fair enough. But if we reduce the speed limit to 10mph, there would be even fewer fatalities. Ban them altogether and you will have none.

The whole blanket 20mph idea is a nonsense. It is appropriate only in specified circumstances, for example for short stretches near schools an opening and closing times and in areas where there are a lot of pedestrians milling about.

Have these people not heard of a happy medium? Clearly, not.
Old 28-09-2023, 18:49   #48
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Within the reams of reports from the Arsembly is a wish to have signs that flash when pupils are arriving or leaving schools. As most of the schools already had 20mph limits set by TROs, that seems to be a "backwards step". So obviously they have no idea how to do joined-up thinking.

There are also many schools that have restricted access on roads during arrival and leaving times. Cameras are there and they dish out fines regularly.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 18:56   #49
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Sounds like they are trying to get the attention of those who aren’t taking any notice of the limits (those getting fined).

Prevention is better for everyone involved (the school kids at increased risk from the speeding drivers, and the drivers in not getting fined/points).
Old 28-09-2023, 19:33   #50
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I've just had to drive up to the local hospital. And it had started raining. I drove off the 20mph estate, onto the rare bit of 30mph arterial, and was being passed by vehicles driving at 40mph+. Then onto the 20mph roundabout, and they were appearing around the tree-obscured bend at 30mph+. Not fun. Those that always drove too fast are still driving too fast even in heavy rain.
Old 28-09-2023, 19:56   #51
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Average speeds on the affected roads are 2.9mph lower since the change:
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...rking-27779212
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 19:58   #52
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I've just had to drive up to the local hospital. And it had started raining. I drove off the 20mph estate, onto the rare bit of 30mph arterial, and was being passed by vehicles driving at 40mph+. Then onto the 20mph roundabout, and they were appearing around the tree-obscured bend at 30mph+. Not fun. Those that always drove too fast are still driving too fast even in heavy rain.
Exactly why speed limits are needed. A lot of drivers are f*wits. Best case they'll get caught at some point, worst case an accident causes them to think again. Things have got worse l. I blame lockdown , where anything went.

After dark when the police have gone home speed limits are totally disregarded where I am. 20 mph wouldn't be needed if there weren't so many behind the wheel, who see nobody outside their metal bubble. It's an increasingly selfish society and this is just one of the symptoms.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 20:46   #53
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It's an increasingly selfish society, and this is just one of the symptoms.

I've just been back to the hospital. It's still chucking it down, and the idiots are still ignoring the speed limits. It's 15mph in the hospital grounds, but due to the dark and rain, I slowed to below 10mph. And I had a van behind me leaning on his horn!!! When I turned off to get to the pickup point, he zoomed ahead at 40mph+!!!
Old 29-09-2023, 13:25   #54
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Yes, because motorists are stuck behind vehicles doing 20mph. Lower speed limits = increased congestion, more frustration, and increased emissions.

Seems to make sense to the greenies and anti-car morons.

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

Quote:
Exactly why speed limits are needed. A lot of drivers are f*wits. Best case they'll get caught at some point, worst case an accident causes them to think again. Things have got worse l. I blame lockdown , where anything went.

After dark when the police have gone home speed limits are totally disregarded where I am. 20 mph wouldn't be needed if there weren't so many behind the wheel, who see nobody outside their metal bubble. It's an increasingly selfish society and this is just one of the symptoms.
So how do you think the 20mph limits will slow down the speeders when 30mph doesn’t?

A bit of muddled thinking there!

---------- Post added at 13:25 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

Quote:

I've just been back to the hospital. It's still chucking it down, and the idiots are still ignoring the speed limits. It's 15mph in the hospital grounds, but due to the dark and rain, I slowed to below 10mph. And I had a van behind me leaning on his horn!!! When I turned off to get to the pickup point, he zoomed ahead at 40mph+!!!
Of course they are! Adjusting speed limit signs downwards will not change that behaviour - in fact it will increase the number of motorists viewing the signs as being irrelevant.
Old 29-09-2023, 14:13   #55
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Speaking of muddled thinking…

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Quote:
Yes, because motorists are stuck behind vehicles doing 20mph. Lower speed limits = increased congestion, more frustration, and increased emissions.

Seems to make sense to the greenies and anti-car morons.

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

So how do you think the 20mph limits will slow down the speeders when 30mph doesn’t?

A bit of muddled thinking there!

---------- Post added at 13:25 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

Of course they are! Adjusting speed limit signs downwards will not change that behaviour - in fact it will increase the number of motorists viewing the signs as being irrelevant.
Old 29-09-2023, 14:15   #56
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Lower speed limits = increased congestion
Care to explain how that works?
Old 29-09-2023, 14:40   #57
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Had in my area for a number of months, used to see spaces in road big enough to walk across. Now it's one long trail of vehicles, the main road in the village looks like a car park. Really quicker to walk it's length, noted car at the start still only half way be the time I am at the other end.
Old 29-09-2023, 15:30   #58
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Because as cars slow down they get closer together. Look what a reduction in the speed limit for road works does to traffic that was previously well spaced between vehicles. You get the same effect when vehicles reduce from 30 to 20.

---------- Post added at 15:30 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Speaking of muddled thinking…
As I said it makes sense to the greenies…..
Old 29-09-2023, 15:40   #59
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Because as cars slow down they get closer together
Bingo! That's exactly why it reduces congestion.

It's the same reason they impose 40, 50 or 60mph limits on congested motorways. You can pack more cars into the same space if they go slower.
Old 29-09-2023, 15:46   #60
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
You can pack more cars into the same space if they go slower.
Isnt that the definition of congestion ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote