Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Edimax router not connecting to the modem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Edimax router not connecting to the modem

Old 07-10-2009, 22:33   #1
PhantomTa2
Inactive

PhantomTa2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Edimax router not connecting to the modem

I bought one of these routers a few months back and had problems with it as it kept dropping connection to the modem. So I exchanged it for another of the same model assuming the first was faulty and the second one is doing it, now, too.
Behind the router is fine, all systems can talk to each other and I can ping the router but not, for example, the DNS that my ISP uses. I've tried deleting and recloning the MAC address, which is what Edimax told me to try, (the first time I tried this about a month ago it worked).
Under the internet status it just says "Attain IP Protocol : Dynamic IP disconnect"
Plugging my PC directly into the modem is fine, everything works as it should do. But, after soft-resetting and hard-resetting the router, the problem still persists. The most recent was today, my wife was on her laptop on the internet playing one of her games, then she rebooted her laptop (not touching the modem or the router) and it wouldn't connect to her game or google. I pinged the router and it was good, pinged the DNS server and says "destination net unreachable"
If any one could help with this, I'd be very grateful. I've googled for quite some time but haven't come across an answer as to why it might be doing it or how to sort it out.

*EDIT* I should add that when I log into the router and go to the internet status it just says "Dynamic IP Disconnect" and once the router is between me and the modem, I can't log into the modem admin page, either
PhantomTa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2009, 01:53   #2
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: Edimax router not connecting to the modem

Try giving all the machines on your network a static IP then switch off DHCP in the router.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 13:30   #3
PhantomTa2
Inactive

Already done that. That's how I like to set up my LANs straight away, as some machines need ports forwarding, but it worked one minute and now not at all. I've even reset back to factory defaults and it won't connect to the modem then, either
Old 09-10-2009, 00:18   #4
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Damn thats me out of suggestions
Old 09-10-2009, 00:25   #5
PhantomTa2
Inactive

I found a fix for it today, but I'm confused as to how and why it worked. I only noticed it because I'd been working on it for hours.
I tried it with the RJ45 cable directly into the router, wouldn't work. I disabled that and tried the wireless card, that didn't work. I reset to factory default and went into the router using the cable, could get into the router, but not to the modem, so I changed again, only I left the cable plugged in to my system and the router. It worked. Figuring I'd sorted it, I unplugged the cable from the system and the router, didn't work. Tried it plugged in, but disabled, it worked. I couldn't believe what I was seeing here, especially as the RJ45 socket was disabled, so I tried it 5 times more, and it seems to have fixed the problem.
Can't understand why or how, but it works with it plugged in, even when disabled. *shrugs*
Old 09-10-2009, 06:56   #6
Mick Fisher
Inactive

So long as it works.
Old 18-10-2009, 17:15   #7
PhantomTa2
Inactive

It's done it again. Won't connect to the modem at all.

Behind the router everything is fine. All systems can connect to each other and communicate, but the router keeps dropping the connection to the modem. I've even reset the router to factory defaults and that won't work, either. I've tried with TTL enabled and disabled but neither work. I've done the "Quick Setup" with the same result. I just can't connect to the modem with my router. At the moment I'm connected by my PC into the modem, which is annoying the hell out of my wife right now as she can't do her internet things that she needs to do. I've tried with the MAC address as all 0s and as a cloned MAC address. I think I've honestly tried everything I can think of and nothing is working.

Here are the screenshots showing how it is set up
http://www.phantomta2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/1.JPG
http://www.phantomta2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/2.JPG
http://www.phantomta2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/3.JPG
http://www.phantomta2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/4.JPG
http://www.phantomta2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/5.JPG

*EDIT* Now it's working again, but I'd still like to know why it was doing it and why it works again now
Old 23-10-2009, 15:42   #8
bomber_g
Inactive

Services: Lots
bomber_g will become famous soon enoughbomber_g will become famous soon enoughbomber_g will become famous soon enough

here's an idea - unplug the coax from your modem - it'll work like a dhcp server and dish out IP's in the 192.168.100 range. see if your router is able to maintain it's lease and refresh IP's etc.

if this is fine, their may be some issue with getting IP leases from the Virgin DHCP - although this isn't very likely.

if the problem continues, I'd say their is a bug in the firmware for your router - I had a similar issue with a cheapy wireless router and found that I had to factory reset it if I tried to use some of the settings on it (QOS and stuff) firmware update fixed it =)
bomber_g is offline   Reply With Quote