Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Home network for media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Home network for media

Old 17-12-2013, 22:23   #1
yazza34
Inactive

Services: XL Tivo with Sky Sports and Sky Movies HD, 30mb Broadband.
yazza34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Home network for media

Good evening all!

Now I may be being a complete numpty but could do with a bit of help if possible. When I used to have the time, I was quite clued up with home networking, but have been left behind as work has taken over!

I have today bought a new laptop. What I would like to do is be able to access all of content on my external hard drive (connected directly via cable to my PC). I currently connect all my devices wirelessly for internet to the VM superhub. Can I use this same hub as a network router? If so, please could someone walk me through.

Thanks,

Ben.
yazza34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-12-2013, 01:29   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Home network for media

The Superhub is already a network router. That's the whole point of it.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 08:21   #3
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
The Superhub is already a network router. That's the whole point of it.
I think the OP was actually looking for something a bit more helpful and not a stupid response.

Yes the Superhub is a network router, you would need to set up network sharing I think. However the easiest was to get network media sharing is to get a NAS drive and plug that in to the router. Put all your media on there and you can access it via any device on your home network.
Old 18-12-2013, 19:15   #4
yazza34
Inactive

Services: XL Tivo with Sky Sports and Sky Movies HD, 30mb Broadband.
yazza34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help Stephen, sounds easy enough, even for a dim wit like me.

Oh by the way gasdfdsaq................. if only there were fewer people like you around. One of the reasons people come onto these forums is to find help............. shame you couldn't be a little more responsive.......... have a very merry christmas
yazza34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 21:34   #5
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Make the external drive attached to desktop a shared drive - then access it wherever?
Also I use Hamachi to access said drive remotely when out and about on vacation
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 23:55   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

You asked a question. I gave you an answer.

I directly answered the exact question you asked clearly and concisely.

I don't know what else you expect. It's not like I can read your mind if the question you ask isn't the one you want answered.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote