Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The boat people

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The boat people

Old 12-05-2023, 16:34   #31
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: The boat people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
”taking back control" was sold as allowing our Parliament to make our laws - they are not being allowed to take the time to scrutinise what is proposed.

Quick unsuitably scrutinised Laws are usually bad laws.

"Just Get It Done" usually means "I don’t care what the problems are, just do it", and unfortunately later down the road someone else has to sort it out.
I've scrutinised the Bill and it looks perfectly reasonable to me, covering all the necessary bases.

Is there anything in the Bill to which you object?

---------- Post added at 16:34 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I was listening to French radio yesterday. Whilst we have "the boat people" they have the "border hoppers" coming in from Italy. And many people are really upset at this flow of "economic migrants who flout our laws".
We have a Bill before Parliament that the French could copy.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2023, 16:36   #32
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]I've scrutinised the Bill and it looks perfectly reasonable to me, covering all the necessary bases.
Ah well that’s fine then. Why don’t we scrap the committee system and just have the Commons run everything by you. What could possibly go wrong …
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 16:40   #33
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Ah well that’s fine then. Why don’t we scrap the committee system and just have the Commons run everything by you. What could possibly go wrong …
Don't be silly. We can all scrutinise the Bill and comment or indeed tell our MPs what we think.

Old 12-05-2023, 16:49   #34
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Don't be silly. We can all scrutinise the Bill and comment or indeed tell our MPs what we think.
We can, and it would still be less useful in terms of well-drafted law than public hearings and written reports by experts who can be questioned by MPs who are not taking the government shilling.

I’m not sure why you’re so down on the committee system - even Margaret Thatcher grudgingly accepted its value (even though she sacked the minister who implemented them after her victory in 1979).
Old 12-05-2023, 16:53   #35
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
We can, and it would still be less useful in terms of well-drafted law than public hearings and written reports by experts who can be questioned by MPs who are not taking the government shilling.

I’m not sure why you’re so down on the committee system - even Margaret Thatcher grudgingly accepted its value (even though she sacked the minister who implemented them after her victory in 1979).

I'm not "down on the Committee system" at all. I was asking Hugh what was wrong with the Bill as drafted rather than commenting on the process. Indeed it has gone through Parliament (Commons) so it can't all be bad.

My question to Hugh arose because I thought that if Labour is going to whinge abut migrant numbers they should not oppose a Bill that finishes the job that Boris failed to do.

Old 12-05-2023, 17:02   #36
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

I'm not "down on the Committee system" at all. I was asking Hugh what was wrong with the Bill as drafted rather than commenting on the process. Indeed it has gone through Parliament (Commons) so it can't all be bad.

My question to Hugh arose because I thought that if Labour is going to whinge abut migrant numbers they should not oppose a Bill that finishes the job that Boris failed to do.

What’s wrong with the Bill as drafted is that it has not had adequate scrutiny. At this stage the lack of process *is* the problem. The ‘Committee of the Whole House’ is a process used deliberately to shorten time set aside for scrutiny and the fact that it has happened that way rather than through a full select committee process gives us every right to be concerned that it could be all bad.

Unintended consequences can be disastrous, and we ought to expect thorough process from the sovereign law-making institution of the land.
Old 12-05-2023, 17:12   #37
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
What’s wrong with the Bill as drafted is that it has not had adequate scrutiny. At this stage the lack of process *is* the problem. The ‘Committee of the Whole House’ is a process used deliberately to shorten time set aside for scrutiny and the fact that it has happened that way rather than through a full select committee process gives us every right to be concerned that it could be all bad.

Unintended consequences can be disastrous, and we ought to expect thorough process from the sovereign law-making institution of the land.
How do you know there's anything wrong with the Bill?
It's the process to which you seem to be objecting. Nothing wrong with scrutiny in Parliament, but it would be a fight between those who want t stop the boat people and those who side with the Arch Kent of Cant.

Old 12-05-2023, 17:27   #38
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
How do you know there's anything wrong with the Bill?
It's the process to which you seem to be objecting. Nothing wrong with scrutiny in Parliament, but it would be a fight between those who want t stop the boat people and those who side with the Arch Kent of Cant.
How do you know you can trust anything? If it is safety critical or liable to have other serious consequences then it is subject to regulations, tests and certifications. Through these, we may reasonably trust the product/service/whatever.

Your problem is you are asking the wrong question. It’s not whether I *know* there’s anything wrong with it; I am not an expert in legislation any more than I am an expert in food safety or medicines production. The question is whether I can *trust* that there’s nothing wrong with it. As it has not been subjected to the usual tests, I cannot trust it.
Old 12-05-2023, 23:11   #39
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

You should read it for yourself and then decide if you like it. The MPs aren't any more qualified than you - they're just political players.

Old 16-05-2023, 23:06   #40
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
UK and EU agree to collaborate over cross-Channel migration

The EU and the UK have agreed to collaborate on curbing irregular migration across the English Channel in a further sign of warming relations after years of post-Brexit tension.

Brussels and London will negotiate a deal to exchange intelligence, expertise and personnel to combat smugglers after six months of deadlock over the plan.

UK prime minister Rishi Sunak and Ursula von der Leyen, European Commission president, endorsed the idea of London working with Frontex, the EU border agency, at a meeting on the sidelines of the Council of Europe summit in Reykjavik.

“We need to do more to co-operate across borders and across jurisdictions to end illegal migration and stop the boats,” Sunak said.

Sunak has come under growing pressure from cabinet ministers and senior Tory MPs to tackle migrant crossings on the English Channel after bruising local election results when the party lost 1,000 council seats.
https://www.ft.com/content/4971f9be-...3-7f245266c1d3
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 09:20   #41
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Didn't they already do that a few times then France did nowt?
Old 17-05-2023, 09:30   #42
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Didn't they already do that a few times then France did nowt?
No…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 09:33   #43
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
No…
Well France did in March and nothing changed and seeing as they come from France mainly I see nothing changing ...
Old 17-05-2023, 09:37   #44
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Link?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 09:40   #45
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Link?
How many you want?

Agreement March 10th

https://www.asil.org/ILIB/uk-and-fra...itish%20Summit.

Agreement last November

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...ossing-channel

July 2021

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-p...g-the-channel/

Each time costing us millions. Each time resulting in nothing