Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | No FTTC Available

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

Best free or cheap mobile data services.

Old 14-05-2023, 10:38   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Best free or cheap mobile data services.

I will be going into care shortly and i'm not sure if they will have WiFi that I can use.

To begin with I can access mobile data using the credit that i've built up with 1pmobile.

After that runs out, which are the cheapest mobile data providers?

Are there any free ones? I have some free sims that Spiderplant kindly put me onto, but these are limited and you can only have a maximum of five accounts
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-05-2023, 10:47   #2
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Best free or cheap mobile data services.

I use ASDA, cheapest bundle is £5 a month for 3gb, unlimited calls texts, more than enough for me.
Out of bundle charge are cheap too.

Various options here:-
https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/pay-as-you-go-deals
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2023, 10:58   #3
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Smarty on the 3 network gives large data for low cost
Care home should have WiFi surely it is 2023
Old 14-05-2023, 11:36   #4
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Thanks guys.

You'd have thought that care homes would have WiFi, but there again mist of the residents will be very elderly and how many would be using the internet?? Ivreally don't know.

It's something I will be asking about when I go to inspect the ones that I'm interested in, but want to be prepared just in case I have to make my arrangements for internet access.

I'd rather have one with excellent care without WiFi than the other way round!

Hugh may know if it's the norm or not as he used to regularly visit a lady in a care home.
Old 14-05-2023, 12:14   #5
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

You should also check what the reception is like as this could restrict your choices.

My friend is in a lovely care home but when she went to live there last year she found that she had to change away from O2 as reception was so poor inside the home. She swapped to EE to try it out using a 1p mobile PAYG sim and as far as i remember she then swapped to a PAYG (?) EE sim for about £10 a month due of the amount of data she needs. Certainly not the cheapest network.
Old 14-05-2023, 14:00   #6
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Thanks guys.

You'd have thought that care homes would have WiFi, but there again mist of the residents will be very elderly and how many would be using the internet?? Ivreally don't know.

It's something I will be asking about when I go to inspect the ones that I'm interested in, but want to be prepared just in case I have to make my arrangements for internet access.

I'd rather have one with excellent care without WiFi than the other way round!

Hugh may know if it's the norm or not as he used to regularly visit a lady in a care home.
My (sadly departed) mum-in-law’s Care Home (part of Avery Healthcare) had very good wifi, as did most of the others we looked around - that was quite important as she had family all over the world, and we always video called various family members when we went on our visits.

We looked very carefully at the CQC reports, and also took personal recommendations into account in choosing the Care Home (not the wifi ) - unfortunately, it’s like most things in life - you get what you pay for… (around North Leeds, a good quality Care Home will charge over £1,000 per week.

Probably best to get the wifi info confirmed before you spend unnecessarily.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 14-05-2023 at 14:21.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2023, 14:01   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
You should also check what the reception is like as this could restrict your choices.

My friend is in a lovely care home but when she went to live there last year she found that she had to change away from O2 as reception was so poor inside the home. She swapped to EE to try it out using a 1p mobile PAYG sim and as far as i remember she then swapped to a PAYG (?) EE sim for about £10 a month due of the amount of data she needs. Certainly not the cheapest network.
Thanks, that's a good point that I need to consider.

To further complicate matters, i'll be initially staying there for a month to see if it suits me and then either moving to another care home or even back home if it doesn't work out.
Old 14-05-2023, 14:20   #8
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I’d be surprised if there wasn’t WiFi given during the pandemic video calling would have been the norm for residents communicating with families.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2023, 14:30   #9
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I’d be surprised if there wasn’t WiFi given during the pandemic video calling would have been the norm for residents communicating with families.
Some homes may have wifi which they used to forvideo calling during covid lock downs but a basic connection may not be suitable to be able offer the full service to their residents. This is what happened at the care home my friend now lives in. I understand that the owners are weighing up their options which is why my friends family have opted for a PAYG sim in the mean time.
Old 15-05-2023, 13:03   #10
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I pay just over £30 pm with a O2 Som only deal for unlimited text, calls and 5G data
Old 15-05-2023, 18:42   #11
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I pay just over £30 pm with a O2 Som only deal for unlimited text, calls and 5G data
That's expensive if you're not paying for a phone with it, consider changing.

I pay £10 a month for unlimited calls and texts(who still uses text alot) and 60gb data bur unlimited is £20, should be able to get cheaper though.
Old 16-05-2023, 13:39   #12
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
My (sadly departed) mum-in-law’s Care Home (part of Avery Healthcare) had very good wifi, as did most of the others we looked around - that was quite important as she had family all over the world, and we always video called various family members when we went on our visits.

We looked very carefully at the CQC reports, and also took personal recommendations into account in choosing the Care Home (not the wifi ) - unfortunately, it’s like most things in life - you get what you pay for… (around North Leeds, a good quality Care Home will charge over £1,000 per week.

Probably best to get the wifi info confirmed before you spend unnecessarily.
I'm sorry to hear about your loss Hugh.

Thanks to you & everyone else for the advice.

I think I might get a rolling monthly SIM until I know what i'm doing.long term as my phone is able to have two SIMS in it.

1p mobile do extra data bundles start at £5 a month for 1GB:

https://www.1pmobile.com/index.taf?cprefs=agree

You can get monthly SAM'S for £3.84 for 3GB according to this if i've understood it properly:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ch...nder/sim-only/

I'm not sure how much data I'll need though. How much would a few hours a day of doing emails, surfing the Internet and watching the odd short video use

Is there a way to check how much data I use via Virgin broadband?

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 16-05-2023 at 13:48. Reason: Completed Fac MHA
Old 16-05-2023, 13:43   #13
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your loss Hugh.

Thanks to you & everyone else for the advice.

I think I might get a rolling monthly SIM until I know what i'm doing.long term as my phone is able to have two SIMS in it.

1p mobile do extra data bundles

You can get monthly SAM'S for £

I'm not sure how much data I'll need though. How much would a few hours a day of doing emails, surfing the Internet and watching the odd short video use

Is there a way to check how much data I use via Virgin broadband?
you can prob ask them for an average. They normally use it when I ask to downgrade my service. They always say well you use such and such you really should not downgrade haha
Old 16-05-2023, 13:49   #14
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
you can prob ask them for an average. They normally use it when I ask to downgrade my service. They always say well you use such and such you really should not downgrade haha
Good idea! I'll pluck up courage and wait until I'm in a very good mood before I ring them though
Old 16-05-2023, 16:39   #15
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
That's expensive if you're not paying for a phone with it, consider changing.

I pay £10 a month for unlimited calls and texts(who still uses text alot) and 60gb data bur unlimited is £20, should be able to get cheaper though.
My personal usage was 67 GB download & 5 GB upload last month, so £2.50 a week sounds fine. Wheres is this from please?

The cheapest unlimited data SIM I could find was Smarty at £16, though Talkmobile do a 100GB SIM for £11.95 a month.

What happens if you go over your allowance? Do they cut you off or add a surcharge?

If I initially want to only try it for one month, should I give my month's notice on the same day that I set it up? Is that even allowed?

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 16-05-2023 at 17:09. Reason: Spelling Fac HTH