Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Police to get tough on internet trolls.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2022, 11:51   #1816
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,804
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
It's still a direct question to you. You seem very vocal on the matter of harassment and the like.
I find harrassment abhorrent and will not tolerate it to myself or others- I am indeed very vocal about it.

It's never wise to ask people who are not legally trained for legal advice/opinions, it's always sensible to consult and pay for a professional if you need advice of a legal nature.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-07-2022, 13:26   #1817
Mythica
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 952
Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I find harrassment abhorrent and will not tolerate it to myself or others- I am indeed very vocal about it.

It's never wise to ask people who are not legally trained for legal advice/opinions, it's always sensible to consult and pay for a professional if you need advice of a legal nature.
You don't get it do you. You've annoyed plenty of people in here and threatened legal action for something that didn't happen, yet you're so vocal on your rights and rights of protected groups. What I want to know from you is where non protected groups stand from such accusations and annoyance from people like you? We're all one aren't we?

I'm not asking for legal advice, I want your opinion.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 14:51   #1818
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare
 
Qtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Probably outside the M25
Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Posts: 3,473
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Anyone coming out and telling somebody that they didn't like them because they were black, disabled, gay etc would be committing an offence.

Some just like to harass/upset/annoy people in protected groups and think that if they stay clear of mentioning certain subjects or using certain terminology that they will get away with it.
Treading carefully...lets throw some autism in to the mix. Some people with autism, through no fault of their own, can rub people up the wrong way. Or they say things that offend without meaning too. Some neurotypicals are able to take onboard the reasons for this, others are unable to or simply don't understand the reasons. Such a person may dislike the autistic person because of how the autism makes them act. Should it be a crime to give that honest opinion that they don't like someone because of the autism instead of just thinking it?

On the other side of the fence, someone with autism might get offended by a joke that was not intended to be malicious and just light hearted banter.

It is very hard on the internet to tell if anyone has any disability, mental health issues or something going on in their life that would cause them to be sensitive to things otherwise seen as benign. Add on top there are always clashes of personalities between people without any notable issues and people often take things the wrong way.

Trying to police that with new laws or legal action is not a good thing.
__________________
Still on Sky broadband, as stable as day 1. Unlike packetloss VM before.
-----
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 16:04   #1819
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,804
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Treading carefully...lets throw some autism in to the mix. Some people with autism, through no fault of their own, can rub people up the wrong way. Or they say things that offend without meaning too. Some neurotypicals are able to take onboard the reasons for this, others are unable to or simply don't understand the reasons. Such a person may dislike the autistic person because of how the autism makes them act. Should it be a crime to give that honest opinion that they don't like someone because of the autism instead of just thinking it?

On the other side of the fence, someone with autism might get offended by a joke that was not intended to be malicious and just light hearted banter.

It is very hard on the internet to tell if anyone has any disability, mental health issues or something going on in their life that would cause them to be sensitive to things otherwise seen as benign. Add on top there are always clashes of personalities between people without any notable issues and people often take things the wrong way.

Trying to police that with new laws or legal action is not a good thing.
You make some very good points. I think the way to deal with this is for people to voluntarily make any issues known, as I have done, so that any difficulties can be acknowledged and taken into account. People cannot make allowances if they are not informed of a person's difficulties/limitations and, once they are, they are legally obliged to take them into account.

I remember one member who had dyslexia became fed up of people picking him up about spelling mistakes, so he explained his difficulties on his tagline.

Some forums disallow posts about spelling mistakes for this very reason.

I once saw a programme about a guy with tourettes syndrome, which resulted in him having verbal ticks. He went into a shop where a black woman worked and started swearing and using racist language.

She knew him and his condition from previous experiences and took it in her stride without becoming offended as she knew he couldn't help it and didn't mean it.

I was very impressed with her professional and understanding attitude and hoped that her employer took note of this.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 27-07-2022 at 16:10. Reason: Spelling. Fa ROR.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 16:14   #1820
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare
 
Qtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Probably outside the M25
Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Posts: 3,473
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I once saw a programme about a guy with tourettes syndrome, which resulted in him having verbal ticks. He went into a shop where a black woman worked and started swearing and using racist language.

She knew him and his condition from previous experiences and took it in her stride without becoming offended as she knew he couldn't help it and didn't mean it.

I was very impressed with her professional and understanding attitude and hoped that her employer took note of this.
That poor guy, if in a discord chat for example, could fall foul of this new internet troll law if someone unaware reported him as racist. Its hard enough for moderators to decide whether to ban someone based on his condition which could be seen as discrimination too. Moderators have it hard enough with those kind of decisions already. They don't need more complications on top imo.
__________________
Still on Sky broadband, as stable as day 1. Unlike packetloss VM before.
-----
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 16:25   #1821
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,804
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
That poor guy, if in a discord chat for example, could fall foul of this new internet troll law if someone unaware reported him as racist. Its hard enough for moderators to decide whether to ban someone based on his condition which could be seen as discrimination too. Moderators have it hard enough with those kind of decisions already. They don't need more complications on top imo.
This is why I think it essential for people to declare any difficulties that they have to prevent any misunderstanding further down the line, though I think it should ultimately be for the disabled person to decide whether to self declare or not.

I think that there will need to be a lot of training/retraining if moderators are to stay on the right side of the law and act appropriately, particularly as they could be personally fined as a result (and some don't even get paid to do it).

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 27-07-2022 at 16:30. Reason: Spelling Fac ROR.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 16:45   #1822
Mythica
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 952
Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Totally ignoring the question now, brilliant.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 16:53   #1823
peanut
NUTS !!
 
peanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,654
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
This is why I think it essential for people to declare any difficulties that they have to prevent any misunderstanding further down the line, though I think it should ultimately be for the disabled person to decide whether to self declare or not.

I think that there will need to be a lot of training/retraining if moderators are to stay on the right side of the law and act appropriately, particularly as they could be personally fined as a result (and some don't even get paid to do it).
So let me get this straight. All the years I've been here there's only been one person as far as I know that this site 'could' possibly be a problem if these new laws come into effect and that is you.

I'm sure you're hoping the new laws will come into effect as you'll be on the phone every 5 minutes with a new complaint.
__________________
Oh what fun it is

Last edited by peanut; 27-07-2022 at 17:09.
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 17:29   #1824
OLD BOY
Rise above the players
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
Posts: 14,332
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

If Liz Truss becomes PM, judging what she has been saying, she may well take out these particular provisions of the Online Safety Bill.

We all know there is a problem with trolls and the bad attitudes of some people, but this is not the way to deal with it. Freedom of speech is precious and we should not allow anyone to interfere with that.
__________________
Forumbox.co.uk
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 18:10   #1825
TheDaddy
cf.mega pornstar
 
TheDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 18,463
TheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden aura
TheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden aura
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
If Liz Truss becomes PM, judging what she has been saying, she may well take out these particular provisions of the Online Safety Bill.

We all know there is a problem with trolls and the bad attitudes of some people, but this is not the way to deal with it. Freedom of speech is precious and we should not allow anyone to interfere with that.
Doubt it, nadine is one of her biggest cheer leaders
__________________
Sports Babble
TheDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 19:19   #1826
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Up North - Where It's Grim
Age: 56
Posts: 2,231
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
If Liz Truss becomes PM, judging what she has been saying, she may well take out these particular provisions of the Online Safety Bill.

We all know there is a problem with trolls and the bad attitudes of some people, but this is not the way to deal with it. Freedom of speech is precious and we should not allow anyone to interfere with that.
We'd all get bored pretty quickly if you had to moderate all that crap you spout!! Being serious though, I find myself agreeing with you again and I'm quite worried .
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 19:28   #1827
OLD BOY
Rise above the players
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
Posts: 14,332
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
Doubt it, nadine is one of her biggest cheer leaders
Well, Liz Truss wants the police to get on with catching criminals instead of being arbitrators of internet posters whoíve had the feelings hurt. She said so.

I donít seriously think that Nadine would argue with Liz over that, do you?

Iím not advocating the Bill be scrapped, just that these provisions about these delicate flowers being offended are taken out.

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
We'd all get bored pretty quickly if you had to moderate all that crap you spout!! Being serious though, I find myself agreeing with you again and I'm quite worried .
There are bound to be differences between those on the left of politics and those on the right, but the reasonable ones always manage to agree a lot on matters in between!
__________________
Forumbox.co.uk
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 22:26   #1828
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,804
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, Liz Truss wants the police to get on with catching criminals instead of being arbitrators of internet posters who’ve had the feelings hurt. She said so.

I don’t seriously think that Nadine would argue with Liz over that, do you?

I’m not advocating the Bill be scrapped, just that these provisions about these delicate flowers being offended are taken out.

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------



There are bound to be differences between those on the left of politics and those on the right, but the reasonable ones always manage to agree a lot on matters in between!
The police are unlikely to become involved except in the most serious of cases, such as the prolonged campaign of discriminatory harrassment in breach of an anti harrassment notice under the Harrassment Act & libellous comments made by someone to me on facebook or the racist comments made to the three black footballers, child sex abuse, serious scammers etc.

This is precisely why Ofcom have had their remit widened to include those making a nuisance of themselves on the internet.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 27-07-2022 at 22:33. Reason: Spelling, removed duplicate words. Fa RDA.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 23:18   #1829
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Up North - Where It's Grim
Age: 56
Posts: 2,231
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The police are unlikely to become involved except in the most serious of cases, such as the prolonged campaign of discriminatory harrassment in breach of an anti harrassment notice under the Harrassment Act & libellous comments made by someone to me on facebook or the racist comments made to the three black footballers, child sex abuse, serious scammers etc.

This is precisely why Ofcom have had their remit widened to include those making a nuisance of themselves on the internet.
Defamation of character is a civil matter so the police don't have any jurisdiction to get involved. If you feel someone has made libelous comments about you and your legal team have lead you to believe the police will get involved then maybe you should be worried about any other advice they've given you too.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2022, 00:15   #1830
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,804
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Defamation of character is a civil matter so the police don't have any jurisdiction to get involved. If you feel someone has made libelous comments about you and your legal team have lead you to believe the police will get involved then maybe you should be worried about any other advice they've given you too.
It's the harassment that the police are dealing with after my legal representative referred it to them (the comments designed to damage my reputation are an integral part of the harassment complaint).

The libel in itself, as you say, is a civil matter and being dealt with by my solicitor.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:47.


Server: osmium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.