Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Customer Service- Your Personal Experience

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media Customer Service- Your Personal Experience
View Poll Results: My personal experience of Virgin Media customer service has been:
Excellent- I've never had any problems with them 249 18.91%
Generally OK 315 23.92%
Hit 'n' Miss - about 50/50 273 20.73%
Poor- they normally mess it up 239 18.15%
Awful - never had a useful phonecall to them 241 18.30%
Voters: 1317. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-12-2010, 09:36   #316
TazFTO
Inactive

Services: XXL Broadband, XL TV, Phone
TazFTO is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Customer Service- Your Personal Experience

The engineer turned up Saturday morning. He couldn't see anything wrong with it, we ran some tests & I was getting between 35Mbps & 47Mbps. He was helpful & friendly.
Unfortunately, last night, I was back down to 500Kbps for the majority of the evening.
It would appear that at 08:30 on a Saturday morning, I get a 50Mbit link, but on peak times I get 1/100th of that.
It's almost as if there's contention on the connection, but with a cable broadband, that shouldn't be the case.
TazFTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-12-2010, 11:39   #317
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTO View Post
The engineer turned up Saturday morning. He couldn't see anything wrong with it, we ran some tests & I was getting between 35Mbps & 47Mbps. He was helpful & friendly.
Unfortunately, last night, I was back down to 500Kbps for the majority of the evening.
It would appear that at 08:30 on a Saturday morning, I get a 50Mbit link, but on peak times I get 1/100th of that.
It's almost as if there's contention on the connection, but with a cable broadband, that shouldn't be the case.
Has Support checked for utilisation on your uBR?
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 12:09   #318
TazFTO
Inactive

Not sure whether it was checked or not, is it something you can check if I pass you my details privately? Or is this something I have to phone customer services about again?
Old 14-12-2010, 12:20   #319
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Not sure whether it was checked or not, is it something you can check if I pass you my details privately? Or is this something I have to phone customer services about again?
I'm not in work at the moment, so would be unable to check for you. Broadband Support would be able to check for you on 151.
Old 14-12-2010, 12:25   #320
TazFTO
Inactive

OK, cheers, I'll phone them tonight & let you know in the morning.
Old 14-12-2010, 12:42   #321
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
OK, cheers, I'll phone them tonight & let you know in the morning.
Cool
Old 14-12-2010, 19:34   #322
TazFTO
Inactive

UBR all ok. Bob suggested I ran speedtest.net which said I have an 82Mbit connection - impressive....
linked to the VM news server, got between 5 & 10 Mbit.
D/L 2 files from the "gamefiles" server, got almost 40Mbit.

I guess there wasn't a problem after all....?? Going to keep an eye on it & run the same tests when it starts plodding like Pavlov's proverbial.
Old 28-01-2011, 11:50   #323
LveK
Inactive

Services: Broadband M Tv XL ,Tivo, V Box, X3 Freeview Phone
LveK is an unknown quantity at this point

Just come off the phone to Virgin. Discussed my present bill compared to a new customer and reviewed my options. I now pay £13.25 a month less and have an Telephone package which suits me better.
Thanks Dave :-)
LveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 15:49   #324
rgeast
Inactive

Services: Broadband (dial-up as back-up), phone, TV
rgeast is an unknown quantity at this point

Email service failed last night - but only selectively. Could not send group emails with an attachment. Rang Tech Support and the first lady tried to help but call cut off whilst I was talking. Rang again, got another lady who said she couldn't help and cut me off whilst I was talking to her (politely). Rang again today and after first call failed at the 'put you through to an adviser' stage got man who tried to help but couldn't find any fault. I can send some emails with attachments to up to around five email addresses but still can't send to, say, 17, with a small (pdf file) attachment. Am having to use Webmail at present but it's not convenient and it doesn't work well on IE8/XP Pro. Normally use Outlook Express which has worked well for the last five years but it seems VM don't like it any more.
rgeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 19:34   #325
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeast View Post
Email service failed last night - but only selectively. Could not send group emails with an attachment. Rang Tech Support and the first lady tried to help but call cut off whilst I was talking. Rang again, got another lady who said she couldn't help and cut me off whilst I was talking to her (politely). Rang again today and after first call failed at the 'put you through to an adviser' stage got man who tried to help but couldn't find any fault. I can send some emails with attachments to up to around five email addresses but still can't send to, say, 17, with a small (pdf file) attachment. Am having to use Webmail at present but it's not convenient and it doesn't work well on IE8/XP Pro. Normally use Outlook Express which has worked well for the last five years but it seems VM don't like it any more.
If you click this link it has setup instructions for Outlook Express.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/s...MEZONE_OFFSET=

Also if you click the blue writing in my signature below it will show a list of supported email clients including Outlook Express.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 19:44   #326
auldyin
Inactive

Services: Amended VIP Package
auldyin is an unknown quantity at this point

Virgin Media have been absolutely fine in technical matter so thumbs up!!
Downside is when enquiring about pricing and billing which is a bit of a joke.
auldyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 21:35   #327
rgeast
Inactive

Services: Broadband (dial-up as back-up), phone, TV
rgeast is an unknown quantity at this point

As my Outlook Express settings had been set automatically using the tool supplied by Virgin Media, I had thought it unlikely that this would be the cause of the problem, especially as it had been working OK up to the previous weekend (6 Feb). However, on investigation I found the server setting was pop.ntlworld.com for each account, not pop3.ntlworld.com as in the article you referred me to. Whilst this seems to relate to receipt of emails rather than sending I was sceptical but having changed all account settings to pop3 a trial email to 17 addresses with a 131kb pdf file attached has worked. I shall have more to send on wednesday so let's hope it keeps working.
rgeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 01:15   #328
hedgie
cf.geek

Services: Phone, 360 + two mini boxes, Hub 5.
hedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of light

I voted 50/50. If you get offshore anything can happen, if you get UK then it seems much better than is used to be with Nynex, Cable & Wireless and NTL.

My last experience was great. They called me to say that I qualified for a free second room install and a relocation of my V+ folloing the TiVO installation. When I booked the TiVO I was quoted £10.month to keep V+. To be then told it's free... well done VM
hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 12:54   #329
Dave9946
Inactive

Dave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the rough

Voted 50/50 to. For all the moaning a lot of us do I still think they are pretty much ok if it's a standard issue your calling about. When we once called up to change our package a few years ago the indian call centre person we dealt with were fine and understood everything. But in my experience if you get a call centre in india that your calling over a non standard issue or dispute over a service and situation then it's a different matter. It's like they dont understand the issue called about and quote the same standadised answers off there screen without being able to deal with the issue at all simply because they dont seem to be trained on how to deal and solve issues that dont get covered in training.
Dave9946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 12:58   #330
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

My customer experiences are 50/ 50 as when my call gets answered by one of these foreign call centres l think oh no not again and generally when my call gets answered by a British call centre worker they usually sort things out.
denphone is online now   Reply With Quote