Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

[GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Old 27-07-2010, 23:58   #136
rastaboy
Inactive

rastaboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Thanks, but I did initially try it without a MAC clone. I have just tried it again, and rebooted everything.

The cable modem has lights flashing for send/recieve and ethernet and the D-Link router has a light flashing for internet (the world symbol) and illuminated for LAN and wireless.

Yet Windows networking tells me I have a problem with the DNS server and I can't connect to it either in the command prompt:

C:\Users\Administrator>nslookup
Default Server: DD-WRT
Address: 192.168.1.1

> google.com
Server: DD-WRT
Address: 192.168.1.1

*** DD-WRT can't find google.com: Query refused

I should have internet but I don't. (I'm plugging to LAN directly into the cable modem to come here and write these posts).

Is there perhaps a log which might help me to pin down the problem? And I definitely don't have to put in anything for Gateway and Local DNS for the Network setup in dd-wrt?

Thanks for all your help!

RM
rastaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-07-2010, 00:05   #137
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age

Can you access your cable modem pages at 192.168.100.1
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 00:15   #138
rastaboy
Inactive

I can when connected directly to the cable modem via the LAN, but not when connected to the router (with the router connected to the cable modem). I definitely have the router and cable modem connected (the world symbol is illuminated).
Old 28-07-2010, 13:30   #139
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I dont reccomend cloning the pc mac, when I did it I had an outage on every dhcp renewal.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 14:00   #140
chambohambo
cf.addict

chambohambo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, whats the latest firmware for this router?
chambohambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 15:05   #141
rastaboy
Inactive

I have put the 4.11 firmware back on it as per instructions here: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=10285.0

Everything is back how it was and I can access the cable modem page at http://192.168.100.1/. So absolutely no idea why it didn't work with dd-wrt.

Thanks for your help nonetheless.
Old 28-07-2010, 20:55   #142
mjpartyboy
Inactive

mjpartyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambohambo View Post
Hi all, whats the latest firmware for this router?
At the time of this post DD-WRT build 14815 is the latest, with 14311 being the recommended one in the router database. Personally I'm getting much better results with 14815.
mjpartyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 21:27   #143
browney
cf.addict

Services: VM Retail Rates deal
browney is on a distinguished roadbrowney is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to browney

New firmware out today Here

r14896
browney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 22:07   #144
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by browney View Post

r14896
is there no changelog so we know what has changed between the builds?
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 13:01   #145
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymallory View Post
is there no changelog so we know what has changed between the builds?
seems not, I asked the same question some time ago and the answer was check the cvs logs. Of course cvs logs are messy and very technical rather than info about what features have been changed, whether its stability improvements etc.

What I will say is the original firmware posted on this site was not beta, all the 14xxxx ones are beta pre-release.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 00:19   #146
KBHammer
Inactive

Services: VIP 50
KBHammer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by browney View Post

r14896
Been running 14896 for 48 hours now and both wired and wireless connections are fine (so far).
KBHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 19:30   #147
chambohambo
cf.addict

chambohambo is an unknown quantity at this point

New firmware got released earlier this week.

08-12-10-r14929

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSla...-12-10-r14929/
chambohambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 20:30   #148
wrastling
Inactive

wrastling is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys im having a bit of trouble with dd-wrt. basically i have installed it all fine (build 14929) and my lan is working perfectly. my wifi is also working but not very well. the major problem i have is with my iphone and ipod touch. i can access webpages through safari but i fail to download apps or stream videos. in fact accessing webpages can be difficult at times too. i havent changed any major settings to dd-wrt and im wondering if i should have done so? i am with virgin broadband 10mb.

also if all else fails how can i downgrade back to my original 4.11 firmware? i tried doing that through the dd-wrt page but i keep getting an upgrade failed notice (in both IE and firefox)

thanks
wrastling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 00:08   #149
mjpartyboy
Inactive

mjpartyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrastling View Post
if all else fails how can i downgrade back to my original 4.11 firmware? i tried doing that through the dd-wrt page but i keep getting an upgrade failed notice (in both IE and firefox)
You'll need to do this through the Emergency Room. Unplug the router and push the reset button on the back with a small pointy object and keep it pressed while you plug the power back in and after several seconds the power light should blink. Now when you access the router, I think this resets it to http://192.168.0.1, you'll be in the ER.
mjpartyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 21:58   #150
montanajr
Inactive

montanajr is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

I tried updating the firmware on my router from the VM firmware to DD-WRT and got it all working perfectly. I then realised that I had infact used an older firmware version for the DD-WRT, so I went into the console (192.168.1.1) and went to Administration>>Firmware Upgrade and tried updating the firmware..about halfway through the update I realised I needed the D version but I was infact uploading the E version!

Basically now, the router does not work for wired and wireless connections, I cannot access 192.168.1.1 with it connected to roll back the firmware, what the hell can I do??
montanajr is offline   Reply With Quote