Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Unable to Send or Receive MMS

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Unable to Send or Receive MMS

Old 21-10-2013, 18:47   #1
smudgy
Inactive

smudgy is an unknown quantity at this point
Unable to Send or Receive MMS

I recently ported my number from Vodafone to Virgin Mobile and everything (well almost everything) seemed to go smoothly. However, I have 2 things which don't seem to working. The 1st is that my actual phone number is not displayed in the settings menu, it just says unknown (this is my second sim card and the 1st listed the number originally given to the sim). I can put up with this for the time being.

The 2nd problem, and one which is a lot more annoying, is that I am unable to send or receive mms messages. I have installed the settings from the VM website but nothing seems to work. I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy S2 running Android 4.1.2, Baseband Version I9100XXMS2, Build Number JZ054K.I9100XWLSW.

Can anyone help me sort this out?
smudgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-10-2013, 21:51   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Unable to Send or Receive MMS

And what settings are you (trying to) use?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 18:51   #3
smudgy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
And what settings are you (trying to) use?
The access point name is Virgin Media Mobile Internet:
APN: goto.virginmobile.uk
Poxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: user
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
MMS proxy: 193.30.166.2
MMS port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 30
Authentication Type: PAP
APN type: default,mms,supl
APN protocol: IPv4
Enable/disable APN: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
Old 23-10-2013, 11:58   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Hmm, all seems correct. What exactly goes wrong? Is there an error message? Can you screenshot it?
Old 23-10-2013, 12:29   #5
Mr Pharmacist
Inactive

Services: Everything.
Mr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of society

I had the same problem regarding the MMS messages when i first switched to Virgin mobile. When I spoke to them they told me to send one to myself, which i did, and it actually solved the problem. Going by my own experience it might work for you as well, hopefully!
Mr Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 19:08   #6
smudgy
Inactive

Quote:
Hmm, all seems correct. What exactly goes wrong? Is there an error message? Can you screenshot it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pharmacist View Post
I had the same problem regarding the MMS messages when i first switched to Virgin mobile. When I spoke to them they told me to send one to myself, which i did, and it actually solved the problem. Going by my own experience it might work for you as well, hopefully!
When I receive a mms message I just get a text saying that I've received a message and to go to the getmessage website. I have tried to send myself one but it tries for about 5 minutes before I get a message failed message, telling me to review the message and send again.

I have noticed that when I send it, the 3G (or H+) connection comes and goes. This is really frustrating as I have nieces and nephews around the UK and my family do tend to send a lot of pictures.
Old 23-10-2013, 21:50   #7
Mr Pharmacist
Inactive

Mr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgy View Post
When I receive a mms message I just get a text saying that I've received a message and to go to the getmessage website. I have tried to send myself one but it tries for about 5 minutes before I get a message failed message, telling me to review the message and send again.

I have noticed that when I send it, the 3G (or H+) connection comes and goes. This is really frustrating as I have nieces and nephews around the UK and my family do tend to send a lot of pictures.
I understand your frustration mate. I've found this on the virgin forums about doing a factory reset http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...s/td-p/1976932 Apart from doing that I can only suggest you call them and get some help.
Old 23-10-2013, 21:54   #8
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

If you are sending pictures and you all have smartphones use Whatsapp, it works on all mobile platforms and is free.
Old 24-10-2013, 18:15   #9
smudgy
Inactive

Quote:
I understand your frustration mate. I've found this on the virgin forums about doing a factory reset http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...s/td-p/1976932 Apart from doing that I can only suggest you call them and get some help.
It was the helpline who suggested the factory reset. It didn't solve the problem but I'm sure it cleaned some crap off my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
If you are sending pictures and you all have smartphones use Whatsapp, it works on all mobile platforms and is free.
I have Whatsapp installed but trying to explain that to my mum (who is 67 years old) would be like pulling teeth.
Old 25-10-2013, 10:51   #10
Mr Pharmacist
Inactive

Quote:
It was the helpline who suggested the factory reset. It didn't solve the problem but I'm sure it cleaned some crap off my phone.
I really don't know what you can do then smudgy, apart from calling them again and to keep doing so until the problem is resolved. Sorry mate.
Old 25-10-2013, 11:25   #11
smudgy
Inactive

Quote:
I really don't know what you can do then smudgy, apart from calling them again and to keep doing so until the problem is resolved. Sorry mate.
I called them again and they gave me some other APN settings and said to try it in a different location. This didn't work but it I also couldn't get on the internet. It isn't so much that I want to send mms messages but I would like to be able to receive them from family.

A little bit stuck as to what to try next.
Old 25-10-2013, 11:38   #12
Mr Pharmacist
Inactive

Quote:
I called them again and they gave me some other APN settings and said to try it in a different location. This didn't work but it I also couldn't get on the internet. It isn't so much that I want to send mms messages but I would like to be able to receive them from family.

A little bit stuck as to what to try next.
You might not mind being unable to send MMS messages, but you should be able to use all the functions the phone has without any problems and whenever you want. I can only suggest you keep calling, however annoying it might be to you. I'd even put a call into retentions because if you're not able to use all the functions that should be available to you, coverage permitting, you could be able to cancel your contract. The threat of that might ram home your problems to them and also the inadequate help you've received from them so far. Keep trying smudgy!
Old 25-10-2013, 11:54   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I'd try a different phone. But tbh if the internet works the MMS should also work providing the settings are correct - which they are. Sounds like VM have something borked on your account or SIM.
Old 25-10-2013, 17:57   #14
smudgy
Inactive

Quote:
You might not mind being unable to send MMS messages, but you should be able to use all the functions the phone has without any problems and whenever you want. I can only suggest you keep calling, however annoying it might be to you. I'd even put a call into retentions because if you're not able to use all the functions that should be available to you, coverage permitting, you could be able to cancel your contract. The threat of that might ram home your problems to them and also the inadequate help you've received from them so far. Keep trying smudgy!
I'm only a Sim only deal at the moment so it's a 30 day contract. I suppose I could threaten to leave but ideally I'd rather not have to go through the trouble of switching so soon.

Quote:
I'd try a different phone. But tbh if the internet works the MMS should also work providing the settings are correct - which they are. Sounds like VM have something borked on your account or SIM.
I did try a Samsung Galaxy Y and the mms failed on that as well. My number does come up as Unknown in the 'About Device' menu but when I contacted the technical team they assured me that wouldn't be a problem.

It does sound like I will have to give them another call and see if there is something that is blocked on the Sim card.
Old 27-10-2013, 18:32   #15
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
The access point name is Virgin Media Mobile Internet:
APN: goto.virginmobile.uk
Poxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: user
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
MMS proxy: 193.30.166.2
MMS port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 30
Authentication Type: PAP
APN type: default,mms,supl
APN protocol: IPv4
Enable/disable APN: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
Your settings are slightly different from the ones here, not sure if you've just done typos or not?

http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/virgin-apn-settings
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote