Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Do Virgin Mobile disable any features on their handsets?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Do Virgin Mobile disable any features on their handsets?

Old 24-04-2009, 13:11   #1
bikeman
Inactive

bikeman is an unknown quantity at this point
Do Virgin Mobile disable any features on their handsets?

Hi

Thought I'd try here rather than VM cust svces... I am about to purchase a Nokia E63 on a VM contract. It does everything I want but I am concerned that I wont get the full spec and VM may have crippled the handset in some way. Specifically I want to have wifi and use the nokia voip client (via my home network) to both make and receive calls.

Does anyone know whether VM disable stuff on their handsets - I'd hate to be stuck in a contract for 18 months which doesn't deliver what I want.

Thanks
bikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-04-2009, 13:37   #2
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
Re: Do Virgin Mobile disable any features on their handsets?

Well nothing is disabled on my nokia 5800, other than that I can't say.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 13:42   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Nor on my N73 - in fact it wasn't even branded/network locked!
Old 30-04-2009, 09:50   #4
bikeman
Inactive

no contract for me...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/93...elieve-it.html
Old 08-05-2009, 11:22   #5
vmuser027
cf.addict

vmuser027 is on a distinguished roadvmuser027 is on a distinguished road

Nope, my 5800 is not branded, not got a virgin sticker on it, nor has anything been locked. I am freely able to put my old 3 PAYG sim card into it and it works perfectly.
vmuser027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 19:36   #6
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Nothing disabled on any of the 4 handsets I have had from them.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:08   #7
bikeman
Inactive

Thanks for all the replies. What's interesting is several of you said that your handsets were unlocked as well.
Old 26-05-2009, 20:03   #8
chunkeymonkey
Inactive

chunkeymonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
Thanks for all the replies. What's interesting is several of you said that your handsets were unlocked as well.
Yes,

Depends on where the stock comes from, I work for Virgin Mobile and there doesnt really seem to be much of a pattern.

What I have noticed is at launch many handsets seem to be unlocked (my first C902) for example had VM firmware but was not locked and the phone was branded cybershot not with the Virgin Logo.

Little after launch they came in locked and branded but in a normail SE packaging then after all that they came loacked, branded and even packaging was branded.

Weird!
chunkeymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 20:10   #9
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

hi chunky since you stated you work for vmobile maybe you,or any one with experience can advise me
i have a pay as you go with orange and am thinking of going with vm mobile (i already have full tv bb20mg and land line)
a) what do you think is the best deal i could get
b)what is the network like for coverage

thanks
Old 26-05-2009, 20:31   #10
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
hi chunky since you stated you work for vmobile maybe you,or any one with experience can advise me
i have a pay as you go with orange and am thinking of going with vm mobile (i already have full tv bb20mg and land line)

thanks
Coverage checker http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/ukCov...k.howdoi.sm235
Old 26-05-2009, 20:33   #11
chunkeymonkey
Inactive

Quote:

thanks
Coverage is a tricky one! Depends on so many things, atmospheric conditions etc best bet is to use the coverage checker at virginmobile.co.uk

Also best deal depends on useage and handset required! The £8.50 deal is very good value but make sure it offers what you need!

Dont forget we offer you a 28 day Money Back Guarantee as long as the phone is returned as new with box etc.
Old 26-05-2009, 20:56   #12
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkeymonkey View Post
Coverage is a tricky one! Depends on so many things, atmospheric conditions etc best bet is to use the coverage checker at virginmobile.co.uk

Also best deal depends on useage and handset required! The £8.50 deal is very good value but make sure it offers what you need!

Dont forget we offer you a 28 day Money Back Guarantee as long as the phone is returned as new with box etc.
cheers for that chunky just been on vm site looking at the 8.50 deal i only want a phone to make phone calls don't need bells or whistles so that does look like a good deal
Old 26-05-2009, 21:02   #13
chunkeymonkey
Inactive

Quote:
cheers for that chunky just been on vm site looking at the 8.50 deal i only want a phone to make phone calls don't need bells or whistles so that does look like a good deal
No worries! The U600 has been very very popular on that tariff! It's the U600i version which has better software and also is available in exclusive red colour!
Old 26-05-2009, 21:05   #14
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkeymonkey View Post
No worries! The U600 has been very very popular on that tariff! It's the U600i version which has better software and also is available in exclusive red colour!
I have the grey one and it is a good phone and easy to use and it is on Virgin, and I like Natter
Old 26-05-2009, 21:08   #15
chunkeymonkey
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
I have the grey one and it is a good phone and easy to use and it is on Virgin, and I like Natter
Ahhh Natter! What would I do without it! Mind you having said that, trying to get them to answer my email was like getting blood from stone when I wanted to redeem my triple red!

I guess its because its now avail to V Media too!

Do you use your own Natter or do you get it via a family member?