Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The energy crisis

Old 02-10-2022, 10:53   #1411
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation
Re: The energy crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Bulb recommended I drop my DD from £130 to £99 last week and now they recommend I drop again to £93, so in my case my bills are only a little more than what I would have considered normal 2 years ago.
Thanks to Government subsidy....and you’ve (perhaps) got your winter fuel payment to come. Things are not as bleak as some might have us believe.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2022, 11:05   #1412
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Thanks to Government subsidy....and you’ve (perhaps) got your winter fuel payment to come. Things are not as bleak as some might have us believe.
I will be honest with you with the £400 fuel payment, the CoL payment of £324 and likely the Warm home discount I am better off for 6 months than I have been in 2 years. Although a lot of it is getting grabbed by higher grocery shopping
Old 02-10-2022, 11:27   #1413
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
I will be honest with you with the £400 fuel payment, the CoL payment of £324 and likely the Warm home discount I am better off for 6 months than I have been in 2 years. Although a lot of it is getting grabbed by higher grocery shopping
For me I put in 2k into my pension pot and it went down 2k so lost 4k in total, petrol costs alot more and so does food, luckily I have 2 weeks until my last very small mortgage payment so that likely offsets the food, petrol and elec/gas extra charges.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:49   #1414
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
We’re not going to avoid all of the pain all of the time, but in a financial pandemic Kwasinomics may be the shot in the arm that stops a viral decline . The pound has stabilised for starters.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:15   #1415
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
We’re not going to avoid all of the pain all of the time, but in a financial pandemic Kwasinomics may be the shot in the arm that stops a viral decline . The pound has stabilised for starters.
The pound has stabilised due to the BoEs intervention, nothing else
Old 02-10-2022, 14:28   #1416
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

She’ll Energy credited £66 to my account today (but they still want me to increase my Direct Debit to £307 per month…).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 14:34   #1417
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Stabilised 20% lower than it was a year ago…

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5D0D092B-E82F-440A-80E1-3CFA90ADEEF2.jpeg (28.4 KB, 80 views)
Old 02-10-2022, 14:48   #1418
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
She’ll Energy credited £66 to my account today (but they still want me to increase my Direct Debit to £307 per month…).
So they are doing it like Bulb then. Both it appears are going against what it is meant to do. I assume a man of your calibre has done the maths and pretty much knows how much you need to pay anyway? Octopus at least leaves it in the customers hands as long as they do it right
Old 02-10-2022, 16:19   #1419
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
So they are doing it like Bulb then. Both it appears are going against what it is meant to do. I assume a man of your calibre has done the maths and pretty much knows how much you need to pay anyway? Octopus at least leaves it in the customers hands as long as they do it right
Are Bulb not doing it correctly, it's going into my Bulb account as expected and my DD is going down rather than up?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...ng-support-pa/
Old 02-10-2022, 16:29   #1420
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
We are (with the £66) around £316 in credit, with another £235 being DD’ed two days before the Bill Date - ShellEnergy estimate we will be using £343 (on average), so we shouldn’t need to top up our account for a couple of months, and hopefully reduced energy usage may stretch that further.
Old 02-10-2022, 16:42   #1421
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
The BoE is independent and the Chancellor can't tell them what to do; he might have influenced them though. Besides, supporting sterling is what they do.

Quote:
The Government subsidy has saved you from an even higher DD then . Is their assessment of your usage realistic? You must have a spreadsheet calculating your per kWh and standing charges every month.

Quote:
Stabilised 20% lower than it was a year ago…
Would we be worse off if we had the euro; or their inflation?
Old 02-10-2022, 16:50   #1422
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
The BoE is independent and the Chancellor can't tell them what to do; he might have influenced them though. Besides, supporting sterling is what they do.

The Government subsidy has saved you from an even higher DD then . [b]Is their assessment of your usage realistic? You must have a spreadsheet calculating your per kWh and standing charges every month.[/]

Would we be worse off if we had the euro; or their inflation?
The Chancellor’s actions definitely did influence what they did…

ShellEnergy provide monthly and year on year usage stats/charts (bar and point charts).

Last edited by Hugh; 02-10-2022 at 16:57.
Old 02-10-2022, 17:09   #1423
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
The Chancellor’s actions definitely did influence what they did…

ShellEnergy provide monthly and year on year usage stats/charts (bar and point charts).
So, we're agreed the Chancellor knew the possible consequences of his announcement and knew he could rely on the BoE to do their job

You have no means to cross-check Shell's data and therefore challenge their dips into your bank account and you're unimpressed with the Chancellor's fiscal ability? People in glass houses
Old 02-10-2022, 17:18   #1424
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Difference being I don’t have the ability/stupidity to make the Nation’s Pension Schemes illiquid, requiring the BoE to intervene at a cost of £5 billion per day

So, we’re agreed that the Chancellor knew he could cause the Pension Schemes to go illiquid, and raise the cost of borrowing for the money to pay for the extra he was giving bankers and those earning over £155k?

Doesn’t sound very clever…

Addendum: I don’t trust Energy/Telecoms companies billing systems, having spent a reasonable proportion of my working life implementing/fixing them - in fact, my one of my last jobs before retiring was as the Head of Programmes on Billing Remediation in one of the Big Six Energy companies (my teams had to fix whatever cock-ups the new releases caused, and there were new releases monthly).

So, to set your mind at rest, I take readings from our Smart Meters on the 25th of each month (billing day), the next day I download the PDF bills and store those, and every quarter I review what I have stored against what the Utility Companies say (because, from previous experience, I have seen historical bills amended on systems), and if there are issues, I will highlight those with the Supplier (I haven’t found any with ShellEnergy).

Last edited by Hugh; 02-10-2022 at 19:09.
Old 02-10-2022, 17:51   #1425
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Seems I will be getting paid to use energy! Now the house is free of girls , my DD has been reassessed , down to £40 a month !