Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The energy crisis

Old 02-05-2023, 21:28   #2206
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: The energy crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
According to the graph that you originally posted. At that point in time all I had in front of me was the average price that you posted !! see what I mean about you always wanting a fight?

Plus very few people will be paying 39p Look at your bill tell me what you are paying please

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

This graph has the EU average looking around 28p and the UK prices 32p for me anyway so not far off. The new cap prices will be around the same price as the graph you originally posted from July

Your graph clearly shows the EU average way over the 25 p line so not the 23p you are now posting to justify your BS

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 21:13 ----------

Just for reference I do not think I stated the UK is paying the same as the EU average. i think all I actually did was modify the graph you posted to show realistic figures for the UK as in what we pay.
I am the same as most people are paying and that is 33.2p Kwh.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2023, 21:57   #2207
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post

Octopus give us a little bonus it is not much I pay 32.4p with is a tiny bit lower than the rest of the area plus they give us 5% off the standing charge which again isn't much.
Old 02-05-2023, 22:08   #2208
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:

Octopus give us a little bonus it is not much I pay 32.4p with is a tiny bit lower than the rest of the area plus they give us 5% off the standing charge which again isn't much.
I will be moving to Octopus later in the year to take advantage of there EV tariff.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 22:10   #2209
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I will be moving to Octopus later in the year to take advantage of there EV tariff.
Good move they seem to have their heads screwed on
Old 02-05-2023, 22:12   #2210
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I’m with Shell, and it’s 32.364p.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 22:13   #2211
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I’m with Shell, and it’s 32.364p.
Areas have different rates. It confuses me why but some have lower unit higher standing some the other way round
Old 02-05-2023, 22:46   #2212
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Access to the local distribution network has different costs in different parts of the country, reflecting the different costs of running it. The Scottish Highlands LDN (owned by SSE) is particularly expensive, being very rural and exposed and serving relatively few customers. IIRC Merseyside and North Wales (MANWEB back in pre-privatisation days) is also relatively expensive because it has a double whammy of exposed rural lines in north Wales and an unusually complex urban system in Liverpool.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 22:53   #2213
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Access to the local distribution network has different costs in different parts of the country, reflecting the different costs of running it. The Scottish Highlands LDN (owned by SSE) is particularly expensive, being very rural and exposed and serving relatively few customers. IIRC Merseyside and North Wales (MANWEB back in pre-privatisation days) is also relatively expensive because it has a double whammy of exposed rural lines in north Wales and an unusually complex urban system in Liverpool.
Makes sense
Old 03-05-2023, 09:33   #2214
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
According to the graph that you originally posted. At that point in time all I had in front of me was the average price that you posted !! see what I mean about you always wanting a fight?

Your graph clearly shows the EU average way over the 25 p line so not the 23p you are now posting to justify your BS
Old 03-05-2023, 09:41   #2215
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
This is alarming but not unexpected:

This surprised me as I am paying around 33p per kWh so I decided to have a look at the source - https://www.energypriceindex.com/price-data and you know what, it might be right!

The prices quoted add on VAT and standing charge data so what the chart shows is average monthly use in kWh plus a months standing charge plus VAT divided by the average monthly use in kWh to reflect the total cost to the consumer which is probably a more accurate measure
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:50   #2216
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
This surprised me as I am paying around 33p per kWh so I decided to have a look at the source - and you know what, it might be right!

The prices quoted add on VAT and standing charge data so what the chart shows is average monthly use in kWh plus a months standing charge plus VAT divided by the average monthly use in kWh to reflect the total cost to the consumer which is probably a more accurate measure
No the price quoted is the price without the government cap which brings it down to your 33p and should include vat ( mine does) the standing charge is only around 50p a day so if you use 10KWH of electric a day that would add 5p to the KWH cost making it nowhere near the 60+p in the graph. You would have to use less than 2 KWH in a day for it to work out

---------- Post added at 09:50 ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 ----------

Quote:
Have you looked at your bills yet ? please post the figures when you do
Old 03-05-2023, 12:14   #2217
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
No the price quoted is the price without the government cap which brings it down to your 33p and should include vat ( mine does) the standing charge is only around 50p a day so if you use 10KWH of electric a day that would add 5p to the KWH cost making it nowhere near the 60+p in the graph. You would have to use less than 2 KWH in a day for it to work out[COLOR="Silver"]
Yep, I see your point - the prices are worked out before any caps or refunds. I just looked at my past bill and it came out at just under 37p/kWh. The proper report shows this in table 4.

An interesting chart in that report is on page 8 where energy costs are compared with other household costs. Here, the UK sits 4th after Czechia, Italy and Cyprus. Oh to live in Norway with the lowest relative costs...
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 13:01   #2218
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of society

The above is theoretical. You should be joining the queue for Agile Octopus and Gas tracker.
Today: Leccy 18p/Kwh (average), Gas 4.8p/Kwh (postcode GU15)

Wholesale gas price today, 2.9p perKwh ...too much gas and no capacity for storage (somebody said in another forum)
Ms NTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 14:19   #2219
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Yep, I see your point - the prices are worked out before any caps or refunds. I just looked at my past bill and it came out at just under 37p/kWh. The proper report shows this in table 4.

An interesting chart in that report is on page 8 where energy costs are compared with other household costs. Here, the UK sits 4th after Czechia, Italy and Cyprus. Oh to live in Norway with the lowest relative costs...
You link confirms what I have been saying i.e. the UK has one of the highest Electricity prices even when adjusted for rebates, see Figure 9: "All-in electricity end-user price including VAT (PPS) for EUR-15, variable contracts only" which shows the UK on 40.37 (c€/kWh) and the EU-15 average on 28.49 (c€/kWh)
Old 03-05-2023, 14:34   #2220
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
You link confirms what I have been saying i.e. the UK has one of the highest Electricity prices even when adjusted for rebates, see Figure 9: "All-in electricity end-user price including VAT (PPS) for EUR-15, variable contracts only" which shows the UK on 40.37 (c€/kWh) and the EU-15 average on 28.49 (c€/kWh)
It also confirms what I have been saying and that is your first graph was totally inaccurate