Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The energy crisis

Old 11-04-2023, 14:06   #2176
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: The energy crisis

brillo
Old 12-04-2023, 02:17   #2177
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
brillo
Ah - Stanley Baxter.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 11:35   #2178
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms NTL View Post
Free leccy all night yesterday....in fact negative pricing, Octopus paid you 5.73p/Kwh to use as much as you would like . Madness!
But how much was your capital outlay to allow you to use "free" electricity?
Old 12-04-2023, 13:14   #2179
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
But how much was your capital outlay to allow you to use "free" electricity?
Sorry, I do not know. I am not pro-wind or anti-wind.

I am simply delighted that Jaymoss introduced me to the Agile Octopus tariff and my energy bill is now 1/3 of what I paid Oct-Jan. Horrentus energy bills, and we were bloody cold...

Can somebody explain to me, why Octopus pay us on windy days, when there is no use of gas in generating leccy?
Ms NTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 13:29   #2180
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms NTL View Post
Sorry, I do not know. I am not pro-wind or anti-wind.

I am simply delighted that Jaymoss introduced me to the Agile Octopus tariff and my energy bill is now 1/3 of what I paid Oct-Jan. Horrentus energy bills, and we were bloody cold...

Can somebody explain to me, why Octopus pay us on windy days, when there is no use of gas in generating leccy?
Now I'm confused. I thought the Agile tariff is the one that tracks wholesale Electricity prices, I never realised the price can go negative!
Old 12-04-2023, 14:07   #2181
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of society

Quote:
Now I'm confused. I thought the Agile tariff is the one that tracks wholesale Electricity prices, I never realised the price can go negative!
The agile electricity price changes every half an hour. Every day, at around 4pm, Octopus publishes the prices (for every half an hour) for the next 12 hours. Apparently there is an auction at 3:45 every day, that they fix the prices . You can plan your leccy consumption, by doing your washing, dishwashing, drying etc at the periods that the prices are low (we use "delay" start). Several times, usually during the night leccy is 0 or below zero. Negative prices, mean that we earn money by consuming leccy, more leccy more money is credited --crazy!

The bill is many, many pages long as they charge us per half an hour, and they bill us per half an hour -very analytical.

I have a smart meter.
Ms NTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 21:23   #2182
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

If you on a v1 or v2 tracker tariff on Octopus you might get renewed on old terms. On v3 I think they being more strict as by the time that was put on the market take up sky rocketed.

---------- Post added at 21:23 ---------- Previous post was at 21:22 ----------

Quote:
It goes negative when supply is too high.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 19:09   #2183
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqSo9joCvho
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 19:18   #2184
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
What I foresee happening in the mid term is a sharp drop in electricity prices and an equally sharp rise in gas prices. This I believe will happen once the link between gas prices and electricity is broken

The logic behind my thoughts are El Gov wanting to push people towards heating with electricity instead of gas.

As someone who uses very little heating this will be awesome for me
Old 17-04-2023, 19:39   #2185
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
What I foresee happening in the mid term is a sharp drop in electricity prices and an equally sharp rise in gas prices. This I believe will happen once the link between gas prices and electricity is broken

The logic behind my thoughts are El Gov wanting to push people towards heating with electricity instead of gas.

As someone who uses very little heating this will be awesome for me
That’ll be a bit of a challenge for the 74% of households in England and Wales that have mains gas central heating as their only central heating source…

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...rea/2023-01-05
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 19:43   #2186
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
That’ll be a bit of a challenge for the 74% of households in England and Wales that have mains gas central heating as their only central heating source…

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...rea/2023-01-05
I counter with the fact el gov want to push heat pumps and are set to offer grants to encourage the switch

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...t-pushing-them

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/1...carbon-heating

https://eciu.net/analysis/briefings/...upgrade-scheme
Old 17-04-2023, 22:12   #2187
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

From your last link…

Quote:
The Government has already set a target to install 600,000 per year by 2028
There are 25 million households in England and Wales - 74% of 25 million = 18.5 million.

18.5 million / 600k = 30+ years…

Don’t get me wrong, I think we will be moving in that direction, but I don’t believe HMG will be undertaking your assertion by driving the price of gas up sharply to do this, unless, in parallel, they have a long term policy (rather than the current subsidy which runs for two years) of providing grants/subsidies for heat pump replacement installations.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 17-04-2023 at 22:15.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 00:24   #2188
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
From your last link…

There are 25 million households in England and Wales - 74% of 25 million = 18.5 million.

18.5 million / 600k = 30+ years…

Don’t get me wrong, I think we will be moving in that direction, but I don’t believe HMG will be undertaking your assertion by driving the price of gas up sharply to do this, unless, in parallel, they have a long term policy (rather than the current subsidy which runs for two years) of providing grants/subsidies for heat pump replacement installations.
The problem with these schemes is private rented properties seem to lose out, home owners sign up, landlords arent interested though, council homes get the work done so what happens to that gap? it doesnt get plugged? Supposedly the EPC legislation should deal with this but it isnt actively enforced.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:05   #2189
ianch99
cf.mega poster

This is alarming but not unexpected:

Old 02-05-2023, 12:11   #2190
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Is that factoring any subsidy though because if you factor in the subsidy we have all had the prices are not much different

Just edited the image to what we have actually had to pay like what they have actually had to pay I believe

April 22 I was paying 26p per KWH which is actually lower than the EU average according to your graph as it goes so the whole graph is flawed. If you add 12 months it is more accurate

Attached Images
File Type: png FvChT3nWIAAqdDN.png (179.7 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by Jaymoss; 02-05-2023 at 12:20.
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote