Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | More than one Ethernet or Wireless Adapter

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

More than one Ethernet or Wireless Adapter

Old 30-01-2009, 22:43   #1
RozT
Inactive

RozT is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy More than one Ethernet or Wireless Adapter

Hi

I cannot connect wireless to the internet from my laptop with my new Belkin n1 router but a netbook and Xbox can.

Explorer diagnosics tells me this machine has more than one Ethernet or more than one wireless adaptor.

I presume this is my previous router (Texas Sitecom) but have been unable to uninstall through add and remove software or on the disc supplied with the original router.

Any advise welcome!

Kind regards
RozT
RozT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-01-2009, 22:51   #2
zing_deleted

Re: More than one Ethernet or Wireless Adapter

try it hard wired first. Your wireless adapter will either be using windows networking or its own app have you checked that to see if it is detecting your wireless network?

you should only ask once

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87...er-novice.html
Old 30-01-2009, 22:54   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Also in your devices manager you should be able to select VIEW >> HIDDEN DEVICES..you might find the device hidden in there even though it's not plugged in... If it is there just right click and either DISABLE or UNINSTALL
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 01:34   #4
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Are you sure it doesn't have 2? Some do, mine does.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 19:45   #5
keyholder
Inactive

Services: basic fone & L BB,
keyholder has a spectacular aura about themkeyholder has a spectacular aura about themkeyholder has a spectacular aura about themkeyholder has a spectacular aura about them

arhh you have the same modem i have , so i might be able to help you

right firstly, its got nothing to do with your internet / Cable modem! And with you getting full strenght and recieving 130mbps your connected in wireless N mode. whilst other devices are using G

right if you follow these steps hopefully u will get online

1.) make sure your Belkin router is set to Wireless G mode not N! http://192.168.2.1 In the WIRELESS section under CHANNEL & SSID .yes N is faster but the modem dont like using N and g together! dont know why mine dont either.

2.) your laptop , sounds as if you got vista on it. you need to go here.
Start > Network. @ the top youll see >> network & sharing centre<< click on it.
Then on your left youll see " Manage Wireless networks " click on that
, Now youll be given a list of wireless networks on ur pc. now manually delete them all. As this will conflict with attempted new settings. Its a vista crap thing as it stores all old and current wireless conections you have had.

3.) use windows to search for your wireless now. hopefully now you should be able to conect to your router and internet.

If you still cant conect to the internet but u can your router then try this .. Manually set up a conection instead of windows doing it automatcialy

i.e Basically you have to configure the ip address yourself with these details.

ip - 192.168.2.6 << say 6 for example. it could range from 1 to 254
subnet - 255.255.255.0
gateway - 192.168.2.1

i suggest these steps as thats what i had to do to get my mothers laptop online that also uses wireless N as well as me, but the other 3 pc's use G

Good luck of course come back if your still stuck

---------- Post added at 19:45 ---------- Previous post was at 19:44 ----------

also you do not need to installed the softwar that came with the router
keyholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 22:09   #6
RozT
Inactive

RozT is an unknown quantity at this point

At last after several weeks of frustration I have back my wireless connection.

Thank you keyholder the clue was in the modem not being able to handle N1+G. I went to the Belkin Router site as you suggested to change the connection to G unfortunately the only option I had was n+g or off.

So I left things alone at that end but unistalled the USB N1 adaptor, I typed in the manual connections as you suggested but was unable to connect to the internet. I returned the settings to obtain IP automatically and I connected but a low and falling connetion speed which was the reason I bought the USB adapotor in the first place.

Another thing I have learnt from this site is get the router in the best position and so I moved it out from the wall area with excellent results. I now have a constant 54.0 Mbps connection and I am very happy.

Thank you to all who responded to my cry for help Kymmy (I didn't know about hidden devices) GrahamM & Keyholder. A big thank you to all of you your help was really appreciated.

I am going to be hanging around here for a while in my quest to go from amateur to expert. It may be a very long tine............

Thanks again
Roz
RozT is offline   Reply With Quote