Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | DOS ATTACK,should I be worried

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

DOS ATTACK,should I be worried

Old 21-10-2009, 13:34   #1
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age
DOS ATTACK,should I be worried

Hi Ladies and Gents, Ive just nipped home at lunchtime to see if I'd had a reply from some of the guys on the vm newsgroups, and while I was mooching I had a quick look at the router logs.

It showed a dos attack on port 80 at the weekend, whilst I wasnt using the internet I might add.

Should I be concerned.

any advice for a relative novice.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-10-2009, 13:37   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: DOS ATTACK,should I be worried

If the port's closed on your router (ie. rejecting inbound traffic on that port, or better still dropping inbound traffic on that port), and if your router is sufficiently robust to handle that amount of traffic directed at a single port, then I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 13:54   #3
pabscars
Inactive

pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
If the port's closed on your router (ie. rejecting inbound traffic on that port, or better still dropping inbound traffic on that port), and if your router is sufficiently robust to handle that amount of traffic directed at a single port, then I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Chances are it may be open due to the port forwarding/triggering ive done for the xbox and ps3, the router is the one supplied by vm "netgear WNR2000" I think.

I also have spi turned on
Old 21-10-2009, 13:56   #4
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

I agree with Rob M. This stuff happens and this at least proves that your router is doing it's job properly.

I'd check your router settings and see if there is any facility for 'remote management' or words to that effect. If it has that function make sure it's switched off.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 13:58   #5
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

They shouldn't open port 80 inbound unless you're running a web server of some sort on them.
Old 21-10-2009, 14:06   #6
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
I agree with Rob M. This stuff happens and this at least proves that your router is doing it's job properly.

I'd check your router settings and see if there is any facility for 'remote management' or words to that effect. If it has that function make sure it's switched off.
Thanks for that, I will check when I get home later on, I do recall seeing something for remote management but Im not sure what its set too.

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

Quote:
They shouldn't open port 80 inbound unless you're running a web server of some sort on them.
No, No web server ( whatever they are ), are dos attack like one off attacks, or can they happen over prolonged periods.
Old 21-10-2009, 14:31   #7
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
Thanks for that, I will check when I get home later on, I do recall seeing something for remote management but Im not sure what its set too.

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

No, No web server ( whatever they are ), are dos attack like one off attacks, or can they happen over prolonged periods.
it's very likely a port scanner of some description. Port 80 should be closed and your routers firewall should of kicked in anywho.

DDOS attacks can last for days an be every 10 seconds, if the "hacker / software" knows what they are doing. Seems like the attack wen't ment for a webserver as is was taketing port 80 httpd. Nothing to worry about.
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 14:40   #8
Dai
Inactive

Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze

Port scan seems a likely option. A serious DDOS attack involves packet volumes in excess of 100/second and can get up to the thousands if a botnet attack is occurring.

Probably just someone casually probing.
Old 21-10-2009, 14:42   #9
webcrawler2050
Inactive

webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age

Port scan is very very likely.
Old 21-10-2009, 14:47   #10
Raistlin
Inactive

You'll normally find that port scanners scan a range of ports, not the same port multiple times. A DOS is normally caused my sending massive amounts of traffic to a single socket, which is what the OP seems to be describing. If they were seeing a port scanner I'd expect to see them complaining of lots of ports being scanned not just port 80.
Old 21-10-2009, 14:52   #11
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Quote:
You'll normally find that port scanners scan a range of ports, not the same port multiple times. A DOS is normally caused my sending massive amounts of traffic to a single socket, which is what the OP seems to be describing. If they were seeing a port scanner I'd expect to see them complaining of lots of ports being scanned not just port 80.
It could be both to be fair.
Old 21-10-2009, 15:27   #12
pabscars
Inactive

Thank you all for your responses, its all a bit alien to me I,m afraid, I will have another mooch tonight and see if there is any more evidence.

Just one more question if I may,

Would these attacked influence my connectivity in anyway, because up until Thursday of last week, my connection had been very stable all week, yet since then its been all over the place.

Ive been having issues with slow speeds for some time, but like I say it had been rock steady for a week and now its back (worse than before) to being pants, so just wondered if there may be a connection?
Old 21-10-2009, 15:28   #13
Raistlin
Inactive

If the connection to your router is being flooded with packets, and if your router is attempting to process them all (instead of just dropping them without trying to do anything with them), then yes it could affect your connection speed.
Old 21-10-2009, 17:03   #14
Dai
Inactive

Going back to your router logs for a moment, you say they show attacks to port 80. Do they also indicate the attacking IP address?

It would be useful to know if all the hits originate from one IP or if they are coming from a range. If they are from different addresses a couple of examples would be interesting.
Old 21-10-2009, 17:07   #15
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
Going back to your router logs for a moment, you say they show attacks to port 80. Do they also indicate the attacking IP address?

It would be useful to know if all the hits originate from one IP or if they are coming from a range. If they are from different addresses a couple of examples would be interesting.
It's likely it's coming from a "budget" rented server or some script.

if you can paste a bulk of your logs. The able here, will be able to see instantly.

And yes, if your router is under heavy DDOS then yes, speed will be effected