Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL - DNS out of date???

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL - DNS out of date???

Old 15-10-2006, 00:36   #1
NEONKNIGHT

Question NTL - DNS out of date???

I've been trying to connect to the BETA version of Phantasy Star Universe on the xbox360 without any luck for 16 hours - until now!!! The problem has been resolved by changing the DNS from Automatic to Manual on the network settings on the xbox360 to:

Primary 4.2.2.1
Secondary 4.2.2.2

Why is this? I read on the Sega forum (where a user worked out the answer to the connection issues, god bless him) that NTL are to blame for using 'out of date DNS tables' as are a great deal of other ISP's. Not sure what this means exactly but is this the case? and should NTL be doing something about this?
Advertisement
Old 15-10-2006, 01:28   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: NTL - DNS out of date???

DNS updates are automatic, that's how the system works. What domain are you actually trying to connect to ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 17:26   #3
NEONKNIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
DNS updates are automatic, that's how the system works. What domain are you actually trying to connect to ?
No idea but here's where the info comes from:- http://boards.sega.com/psu/viewforum...2be4eafe17bcf2

Not being a tech wizzard in such matters but reading through the connection issue sticky thread it may be due to Sega and their strict policy protocol - something they need to iron out before the game is released?
Old 15-10-2006, 21:40   #4
Valerie
Inactive

Services: VM 10 (well >4!) Meg via modem, M tv pack, 1 phone line
Valerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of light

I couldn't access dell's website until I changed my dns servers to the same as neonknight, which makes me think somethings wrong somewhere...
Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2006, 07:51   #5
NEONKNIGHT

Question Re: NTL - DNS out of date???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
I couldn't access dell's website until I changed my dns servers to the same as neonknight, which makes me think somethings wrong somewhere...
I don't really know how these things work but I have to agree that something somewhere is wrong.

Another thing I don't understand is that when the DNS if left to automatic it looks more like an IP address! and nothing like the settings that were given to correct my particular problem.

Old 16-10-2006, 08:12   #6
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Erm a DNS Server will be an IP Address because without DNS your computer cannot work out Internet Names into IPs
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2006, 08:30   #7
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

A simple guide to the DNS system is here...

I think the telling phrase is 'A well behaved DNS server needs to query the root name servers only once every 48 hours for each particular TLD....'

Perhaps NTL's DNS servers have some sort of glitch?
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2006, 16:12   #8
NEONKNIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
Erm a DNS Server will be an IP Address because without DNS your computer cannot work out Internet Names into IPs
When I looked at the automatic setting for the DNS is showed 192.168.*.*** etc, the 'work around' to get to connect to the beta server the number format was different Primary 4.2.2.1 secondary 4.2.2.2

---------- Post added at 16:12 ---------- Previous post was at 16:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
A simple guide to the DNS system is here...

I think the telling phrase is 'A well behaved DNS server needs to query the root name servers only once every 48 hours for each particular TLD....'

Perhaps NTL's DNS servers have some sort of glitch?
That's what I think, there is definately something wrong somewhere
Old 17-10-2006, 19:50   #9
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEONKNIGHT View Post
When I looked at the automatic setting for the DNS is showed 192.168.*.*** etc, the 'work around' to get to connect to the beta server the number format was different Primary 4.2.2.1 secondary 4.2.2.2

These are the NTL DNS server IP's, not 192.168.*.***
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 19:51   #10
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssUnderground View Post

Unless he had them pointing at his router.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 20:04   #11
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

They would still be the same, whether automatically assigned or manually assigned. I found this out when I started assigning static IP's to PC's on my LAN.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 20:10   #12
NEONKNIGHT

Quote:

Sorry you're right, I mis-typed. As you say they begin 194.168.4.100 etc
Old 17-10-2006, 20:20   #13
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
They would still be the same, whether automatically assigned or manually assigned. I found this out when I started assigning static IP's to PC's on my LAN.
I know what you mean, but for instance, i have a PC of mine pointing to my router for DNS which does just fine
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 20:23   #14
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

I suspect the problem is at Sega's end. As NTL use the same DNS servers for pretty much everyone, there would be a lot more than one member complaining on here if it was totally b0rked.

Also, I had to laugh out loud when I read the following
Quote:
If your connections slow down at irregular rates power cycle your modems. This is a byproduct of prolonged Static DNS usage.
Which, in my experience (having used Static DNS at work for nearly 10 years) is just plain wrong.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 20:52   #15
NEONKNIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
I suspect the problem is at Sega's end. As NTL use the same DNS servers for pretty much everyone, there would be a lot more than one member complaining on here if it was totally b0rked.

Also, I had to laugh out loud when I read the following

Which, in my experience (having used Static DNS at work for nearly 10 years) is just plain wrong.
Thanks for the info Stuart. From the sega forum there was a lot of NTL users who couldn't connect but some could I believe. As you say, the problem is probably at Sega's end. Just hope its corrected before its released, after all it was a BETA version.

One thing that I liked about the game was that it was the first game I've played where PC gamers and Xbox360 gamers could play at the same time.