Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL 250 & Belkin F5D5231uk4 problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL 250 & Belkin F5D5231uk4 problem

Old 06-07-2006, 11:49   #1
rendrag
Inactive

rendrag is an unknown quantity at this point
NTL 250 & Belkin F5D5231uk4 problem

Hi, I wonder if anyone could help me. I recently switch from ADSL to Cable and received an NTL 250 cable modem. As my previous router was an integrated ADSL modem varient, I also got a new router, the Belkin F5D5231uk4 4 port wired Cable/DSL router.
This works fine for general browsing and email etc, but I have problems when playing various online games. When playing through the router I get lag spikes and disconnects. If I plug the modem directly into th ecomputer, its fine.
It was pointed out to me there have been problems with the Firewalls on some modems, DoS and PoS protection, identify valid traffic incorrectly, and blocking the data. I've tried turning off the routers Firewall, but no joy.
Anyone get any ideas? Or perhaps can recommend a router that works, via wire, when using the NTL 250 and games like World of Warcraft.

Thanks for your help.
rendrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2006, 19:26   #2
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb
Re: NTL 250 & Belkin F5D5231uk4 problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendrag
Anyone get any ideas? Or perhaps can recommend a router that works, via wire, when using the NTL 250 and games like World of Warcraft.

Thanks for your help.
I have used the Linksys BEFSR41 for nearly 3 years with no problems what so ever considering I download and play online games all the time.
Old 19-07-2006, 12:23   #3
Ogre
Inactive

Ogre is an unknown quantity at this point

Having the same problem matey :'(
Just changed to 10mb AOL Cable Modem with Belkin 4 port router and WAS a full time WoW player during the summer periods but now it disconnects every 5mins :/ Not fun...
(Belkin F5D5231-4) and the new Cable modem thingy. Tried too many things - changing to static IP or turning off DHCP etc etc - but to no avail
-Thanks.
Ogre.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 12:33   #4
rendrag
Inactive

I have given up on the Belkin, and got a Linksys WRT54GS, which works fine with WoW.
Old 19-07-2006, 12:46   #5
Ogre
Inactive

Ogre is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah. Ok... hmmm.
I got one spare i think :P I'll try
Problem with that was i think (if it was a Linksys one), it gave me incredible amounts of lag...
Well, we'll see.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2006, 08:39   #6
rendrag
Inactive

The latency of the WRT54GS seems to be comparable to when I was using ADSL and a Netgear router. I'm not using the Wireless side, in fact I've turned that off.
Old 17-02-2007, 12:38   #7
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I've got this router which I have given to my sister, to the router I've connected a Belkin Wireless Access Point (F5D7130)

When I connect to the router via the IP it does not find the WAP, but If I use the wireless connection it finds the wireless connection that the PC is using, not the WAP is.

I've done a reset on both items but still nothing.

I can browse the web wirelessly but with out protection. I tried the belkin website but I cannot find the info I need.

What is the default IP for the WAP?