Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | USB A or B

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

USB A or B

Old 04-08-2005, 21:09   #1
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
USB A or B

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at this item on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...PcY_BIN_Stores

I need to connect 1 laptop and 1 desktop PC to a single printer.

I'm assuming that this will do the job but not sure what the difference between USB A and B are?

Am I right in thinking that the USB A is the big D shaped connector and that the B is the Flat (standard) connector? Is that right
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2005, 21:11   #2
Roy MM
Inactive

Services: NTL cable 20mb Broadband, V+ package.
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Roy MM
Re: USB A or B

Why not just do a share printer on your network? i have all three PCs sharing my printer.
Roy MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 21:12   #3
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Not for my machine.

The laptop is a work laptop which is on loan to someone, they need to use their own printer though and don't want to be constantly unplugging things.

Connecting the work's laptop to their machine as a network is not an option (unfortunately).
Old 04-08-2005, 21:13   #4
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

not big D small D shape
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 21:16   #5
Raistlin
Inactive

Ahh right, ok, thanks for that.

So it's the standard sort of size connection like you might find on an MP3 player or camera, that sort of thing?
Old 04-08-2005, 21:19   #6
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at this item on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...PcY_BIN_Stores

I need to connect 1 laptop and 1 desktop PC to a single printer.

I'm assuming that this will do the job but not sure what the difference between USB A and B are?

Am I right in thinking that the USB A is the big D shaped connector and that the B is the Flat (standard) connector? Is that right
Short answer - no, its the other way round - USB A is the flat one and USB B is the "D" shaped one.

This should do the job, as it comes with usb A-B cables..

My assumption is that the switch has 4xUSB B connectors for systems to connect to, and one USB A for the printer - that means that all the cables are the same - USB A-B (or a standard USB printer Cable)

HTH

Zovat
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 21:20   #7
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovat
HTH
It does indeed

Thanks very much
Old 04-08-2005, 21:21   #8
zovat
Inactive

zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua
not big D small D shape

Sorry to correct Angua - but the USB cables are:

Flat : Type A
Big D: Type B
Little D: mini (as used in cameras etc)

see :http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/connecters.html for more info

Zovat
Old 04-08-2005, 21:28   #9
Raistlin
Inactive

Hmmm...

Now I'm really confused

The details for that box say:

Quote:

Connector PC Side: USB Type B.
Connector Switched Output: USB Type A
So.....

The PC lead goes like this:

PC (A) > Switch (B)

And the printer looks like this

Printer (B) > Switch (A) (which is the lead that comes with the printer anyway)

Does that look right?
Old 04-08-2005, 21:43   #10
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovat
Sorry to correct Angua - but the USB cables are:

Flat : Type A
Big D: Type B
Little D: mini (as used in cameras etc)

see :http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/connecters.html for more info

Zovat
I meant same size as one is a similar size to the other not the D being bigger;

like D and I as opposed to D and I.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 21:44   #11
homealone

Quote:
Hmmm...

Now I'm really confused

The details for that box say:

Quote:

Connector PC Side: USB Type B.
Connector Switched Output: USB Type A
So.....

The PC lead goes like this:

PC (A) > Switch (B)

And the printer looks like this

Printer (B) > Switch (A) (which is the lead that comes with the printer anyway)

Does that look right?

you should have

computer 1 (A) to switch (B)
computer 2 (A) to switch (B)

printer (B) to switch (A)

then you can choose which pc will print, using the switch.
Old 04-08-2005, 21:46   #12
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
you should have

computer 1 (A) to switch (B)
computer 2 (A) to switch (B)

printer (B) to switch (A)

then you can choose which pc will print, using the switch.
Great, thanks very much
Old 04-08-2005, 21:55   #13
homealone

Quote:
Great, thanks very much
no problem, I just hate you, because a similar thing for a parallel port printer, a few years ago, including cables, was well over £50

- I may even still have it - hmm, never got into ebay ....
Old 04-08-2005, 22:09   #14
zovat
Inactive

Quote:
no problem, I just hate you, because a similar thing for a parallel port printer, a few years ago, including cables, was well over £50

- I may even still have it - hmm, never got into ebay ....
Old 04-08-2005, 22:10   #15
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
no problem, I just hate you,