Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Elon Musk $44 Billion Twitter deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Elon Musk $44 Billion Twitter deal

Old 12-12-2022, 13:00   #256
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: [Updated] Elon Musk $44 Billion Twitter deal back on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Yeah, Twitter seems to have terminated the account.
Yup, seems free speech only works the Elon way. Here's the video on YouTube if you're interested:

Old 12-12-2022, 13:56   #257
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

I haven't done a deep dive but a quick glance down the 27 pages of the paper produced a couple of concerns. Since the research methodology that led to groupings of Rt/Lt wing bias was somewhat subjective and the authors also admit that the didn't share their raw third party media bias data, I smell a rat.
Old 12-12-2022, 14:30   #258
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
What a nice man you are

Here's a reality check for you:

Twitter admits bias in algorithm for rightwing politicians and news outlets
Very interesting, but not really relevant to what I posted.
Old 12-12-2022, 14:34   #259
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
I haven't done a deep dive but a quick glance down the 27 pages of the paper produced a couple of concerns. Since the research methodology that led to groupings of Rt/Lt wing bias was somewhat subjective and the authors also admit that the didn't share their raw third party media bias data, I smell a rat.
Bias is always going to be subjective.

Why do you not apply similar scepticism to Musk's pronouncements?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 14:59   #260
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Bias is always going to be subjective.
lol, it's got no place in a research paper

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
If you could provide the links I'm sure Ian would be falling over himself to agree with you.
All he has to do is read Musks twitter feed
Old 12-12-2022, 15:03   #261
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
lol, it's got no place in a research paper

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

All he has to do is read Musks twitter feed
I think you read the article wrong. The bias is in the algorithm, not the research paper. Let's face it, you would claim any research is fake news if it does not match your perspective so your point is moot.

I would welcome articles proving the alternate reality you seek ...
Old 12-12-2022, 15:05   #262
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://www.techdirt.com/2022/04/18/...conservatives/

Quote:
Fascinating New Study Suggests (Again) That Twitter Moderation Is Biased Against Misinformation, Not Conservatives

Social media companies are often accused of anti-conservative bias, particularly in terms of which users they suspend. Here, we evaluate this possibility empirically. We begin with a survey of 4,900 Americans, which showed strong bi-partisan support for social media companies taking actions against online misinformation. We then investigated potential political bias in suspension patterns and identified a set of 9,000 politically engaged Twitter users, half Democratic and half Republican, in October 2020, and followed them through the six months after the U.S. 2020 election.

During that period, while only 7.7% of the Democratic users were suspended, 35.6% of the Republican users were suspended. The Republican users, however, shared substantially more news from misinformation sites –as judged by either fact-checkers or politically balanced crowds –than the Democratic users. Critically, we found that users’ misinformation sharing was as predictive of suspension as was their political orientation. Thus, the observation that Republicans were more likely to be suspended than Democrats provides no support for the claim that Twitter showed political bias in its suspension practices. Instead, the observed asymmetry could be explained entirely by the tendency of Republicans to share more misinformation. While support for action against misinformation is bipartisan, the sharing of misinformation –at least at this historical moment –is heavily asymmetric across parties. As a result, our study shows that it is inappropriate to make inferences about political bias from asymmetries in suspension rates.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 15:37   #263
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I think you read the article wrong.
I didn't read the article. I skimmed the actual paper.
Old 12-12-2022, 16:05   #264
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Elon Musk booed when brought on stage at a Chappelle concert: https://twitter.com/CleoPat48937885/...14514232938497

I don't know why he wants to lean into the celebrity thing.
Vox Populi Vox Dei…
Old 13-12-2022, 14:03   #265
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Elon Musk booed when brought on stage at a Chappelle concert: https://twitter.com/CleoPat48937885/...14514232938497

I don't know why he wants to lean into the celebrity thing.
He’s by default, already celebrity status, being the worlds richest man.

The following, isn’t in direct reply to you, Damien.

All these ill conceived notions that he is racist are utterly pathetic, it’s about these lefty folk needing to stop throwing up the race card, every single time you disagree with something Musk has done, for a start, he’s historically voted Democrat, he supported Obama, he’s the worlds worst racist, if he championed a black man to be president, FFS.

Because the Dems have turned in to an extremist, woke entity, he’s shunned the Democrats and I do not blame him. He’s allowed to be who he wants to be, he’s allowed to run Twitter, how he chooses so long as it doesn’t break any laws, but these stupid attacks coming from the liberals, you need to look in the mirror, you’re the ones full of hate and division, you’re the ones, who can’t stand it when votes don’t go your way, the left ran Twitter for too long, and it went to your heads, banning folk you didn’t like, mainly conservatives, that is true fascism, you’re happy to see other side silenced, so you are the fascists, it happened, but no more.

But these fascist and racist homophobe accusations need to stop, because it’s utter bullshit.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 16:57   #266
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I know but he seems to want to reveal the actual celebrity part. Attending Hollywood events, going out with pop stars and doing walk-ons at comedy gigs.

Quote:
The following, isn’t in direct reply to you, Damien.

Quote:
Because the Dems have turned in to an extremist, woke entity, he’s shunned the Democrats and I do not blame him. He’s allowed to be who he wants to be, he’s allowed to run Twitter, how he chooses so long as it doesn’t break any laws, but these stupid attacks coming from the liberals, you need to look in the mirror, you’re the ones full of hate and division, you’re the ones, who can’t stand it when votes don’t go your way, the left ran Twitter for too long, and it went to your heads, banning folk you didn’t like, mainly conservatives, that is true fascism, you’re happy to see other side silenced, so you are the fascists, it happened, but no more.
It's not just them though, is it? It's members of the right who couldn't stand when votes didn't go their way so stormed congress trying to overturn the results of an election and posing threats to elected politicians, it's a right-wing group who tried kidnapping the Democratic Governer of Michigan,, it's the right who are members of Q Anon and Pizzagate conspiracies. These were hateful people. All of this is more serious than banning people on Twitter.

It's just extremists and America breaking apart.

Incidentally, I still don't think it matters who's banned from Twitter. People on the right may have been banned, but now people who posted white nationalist content are back. It's legal in America and Musk can do what he wants besides that. I don't especially fancy seeing that content in my feed so I'll use it less. No great loss to Twitter or me. Same as when I stopped using Facebook as much.

What I would say to people who are angry that Twitter could ban people then do you want Government intervention now? If not, and Musk can do as he likes, then it also stands that the previous Twitter owners could do what they like as well?
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 17:44   #267
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Not anymore it seems

Quote:
Elon Musk no longer world's richest man.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63963239

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 17:56   #268
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Wow, the Richest man in the world is now French! First the World Cup and now this.

Tesla has gone down 10% in a week. Ouch.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 18:24   #269
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Wow, the Richest man in the world is now French! First the World Cup and now this.

Tesla has gone down 10% in a week. Ouch.
Down 50% in the last year…
Old 13-12-2022, 21:40   #270
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I know but he seems to want to reveal the actual celebrity part. Attending Hollywood events, going out with pop stars and doing walk-ons at comedy gigs.

It's not just them though, is it? It's members of the right who couldn't stand when votes didn't go their way so stormed congress trying to overturn the results of an election and posing threats to elected politicians, it's a right-wing group who tried kidnapping the Democratic Governer of Michigan,, it's the right who are members of Q Anon and Pizzagate conspiracies. These were hateful people. All of this is more serious than banning people on Twitter.

It's just extremists and America breaking apart.

Incidentally, I still don't think it matters who's banned from Twitter. People on the right may have been banned, but now people who posted white nationalist content are back. It's legal in America and Musk can do what he wants besides that. I don't especially fancy seeing that content in my feed so I'll use it less. No great loss to Twitter or me. Same as when I stopped using Facebook as much.

What I would say to people who are angry that Twitter could ban people then do you want Government intervention now? If not, and Musk can do as he likes, then it also stands that the previous Twitter owners could do what they like as well?
Well I’m, on Twitter every day, and I haven’t seen any increase in far right or white nationalist content in my feed. But the constant trans-ideology and vitriol against JK Rowling continues as normal.

The recent Twitter exposés, just prove that Twitter suppressed information at the behest of the FBI and the Incoming Biden administration. Twitter exec in charge of “misinformation” was a very left wing ideologue. Yoel Roth,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-context.html

The question is if Twitter was like this, what about Facebook & Google!

The reason why the machine is now going after Musk is because of what he’s sitting on.

This story is potentially massive, certainly in the public interest and two exposés have come out…….but………not even on the Sky news front page.

Two Elon Musk/ Twitter stories make it to the BBC, both negative to the current regime.

1) Musk no longer worlds richest man
2) charities dismay as Twitter disbands Safety group, although proven that this “safety group” was nothing of the sort.

The thing is anyone on the centre/ centre right, that might have batted away conspiracy ideologues in the past, may look at all this and start thinking differently.