Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Updated: Boris resigns as party leader

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Updated: Boris resigns as party leader
Closed Thread

Old 24-08-2022, 14:08   #4171
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Updated: Boris resigns as party leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I think Boris was a one-off. If the next PM screws up in this regard, the press will have no mercy. She's throwing herself on their mercy.

I just hope that this is a sincere start to the eradication of diversity officers/structures on the public payroll.

---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:53 ----------

More like virtue signallers, Papa.
I’d rather be a "virtue signaller" than a "vice supporter"…

Anyhoo, not sure it’s virtue signalling to point out that your bestest buddy supports the abolition of an important checks and balances role that tries to ensure that Ministers follow the rules…

https://assets.publishing.service.go...April_2021.pdf

Quote:
Ministers’ interests
Under the Ministerial Code (7.2), “it is the personal responsibility of each Minister to decide whether and what action is needed to avoid a conflict or the perception of a conflict, taking account of advice received from their Permanent Secretary and the independent adviser on Ministers’ interests”.

Ministers are required, upon appointment to each new office, to provide a full list of interests which might be thought to give rise to a conflict (7.3). The independent adviser scrutinises all declarations and provides advice on the handling of interests (7.4). He is also able to provide advice on the handling of interests on an ad hoc basis.
So if this goes ahead, the person checking if newly-appointed Ministers have conflicts of interest will be the person who appointed them, so no conflict of interest there, then…

What’s next - she’’ll be signing off her own expenses?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Advertisement
Old 24-08-2022, 14:09   #4172
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think Boris was a one-off. If the next PM screws up in this regard, the press will have no mercy. She's throwing herself on their mercy.

I just hope that this is a sincere start to the eradication of diversity officers/structures on the public payroll.
I don't think an ethics adviser is the same type of role as a diversities adviser.

Truss is now showing some worrying Johnsonesque traits with regard to accountability and has been called out by many on her honesty eg about her schooling.
https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/liz-truss...undhay-school/
Old 24-08-2022, 14:15   #4173
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I don't think an ethics adviser is the same type of role as a diversities adviser.

Truss is now showing some worrying Johnsonesque traits with regard to accountability and has been called out by many on her honesty eg about her schooling.
https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/liz-truss...undhay-school/
I'm not going to defend her. My Truss vote is given under protest and in the hope that JR's influence will assist good outcomes.

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I’d rather be a "virtue signaller" than a "vice supporter"…

Anyhoo, not sure it’s virtue signalling to point out that your bestest buddy supports the abolition of an important checks and balances role that tries to ensure that Ministers follow the rules…

https://assets.publishing.service.go...April_2021.pdf

So if this goes ahead, the person checking if newly-appointed Ministers have conflicts of interest will be the person who appointed them, so no conflict of interest there, then…

What’s next - she’’ll be signing off her own expenses?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
The first "crisis" of this type will be fairly decisive.

I don't think she'll be any good as PM but I'd not be worried if an ethics advisor was not on the payroll.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 24-08-2022, 14:26   #4174
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

The point of the Ministerial Advisor is prevention - isn’t it better to avoid a crisis with appropriate checks and balances, rather than be disappointed/aggrieved when someone breaks the rules and is caught out (or worse, gets away with it because the good governance is no longer in place).
Old 24-08-2022, 15:34   #4175
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
The point of the Ministerial Advisor is prevention - isn’t it better to avoid a crisis with appropriate checks and balances, rather than be disappointed/aggrieved when someone breaks the rules and is caught out (or worse, gets away with it because the good governance is no longer in place).
If someone breaks the rules, they can be sanctioned by their manager (including the PM) so long as the PM is not Boris.

Old 24-08-2022, 15:53   #4176
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
If someone breaks the rules, they can be sanctioned by their manager (including the PM) so long as the PM is not Boris.
Surely you would prefer us not to get to this stage by the PM taking advice to prevent it happening from an expert ethics adviser?
Old 24-08-2022, 16:01   #4177
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Surely you would prefer us not to get to this stage by the PM taking advice to prevent it happening from an expert ethics adviser?
I would prefer that we get back as soon as possible to a normal hierarchical (but collaborative) managerial system.

Old 24-08-2022, 16:15   #4178
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
"us" being who exactly?
Not you, I think, Ian!

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:12 ----------

Quote:
IMHO the only good advice he can give Truss is to call an election. Anything else is just padding out the inevitable and will keep the Conservatives out of power for longer as they will be remembered as the party of low ethics, high fuel prices and a recession.

A shrewd move would be to let Starmer win and govern during the recession. Then five years down say "We told you they couldn't be trusted with the economy" and win another three terms.
The more you guys come out against Truss, the more I want her to win!

---------- Post added at 16:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:13 ----------

Quote:

Just like she judged having an affair which broke up a marriage was OK?
Well, some of us don't want a politically correct moralist in charge. We want a human.

Are you sure you are not without your faults, Hugh?
Old 24-08-2022, 16:23   #4179
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
<SNIP>

Well, some of us don't want a politically correct moralist in charge. We want a human.

Grammatically/semantically, Hugh cannot be without his faults.

Old 24-08-2022, 16:36   #4180
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Nice to see Boris in Ukraine today.

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-joh...e-day-12680447
Old 24-08-2022, 16:39   #4181
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The more you guys come out against Truss, the more I want her to win
We're just pointing out the red flags. If you decline to see them there's not much anyone can do about it.

Quote:
No one has asked for the Prime Minister to be politically correct, just that they appoint an ethics adviser given that it is good practice and ethics (not ambush by cake or the war in Ukraine) was the reason for the downfall of the last PM.

Quote:
We've all got our faults, old Boy. Which is why in senior roles, it's useful to have advisers and to heed their advice.
Old 24-08-2022, 16:52   #4182
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
I agree. Can't we bring this boring 'contest' to a finnish in a dance off between Rishi, Liz and Sanna Marin? We'd have the winner today
Old 24-08-2022, 17:12   #4183
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Not you, I think, Ian!

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:12 ----------

The more you guys come out against Truss, the more I want her to win!

---------- Post added at 16:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:13 ----------

That’s an interesting* interpretation - so someone who doesn’t have an affair and doesn’t break up a marriage is "a politically correct moralist"?

Mind you, you were/are a vociferously sycophantic Johnson supporter, and he has the morals of a alley-cat, making his mistresses pregnant and having an affair whilst his wife underwent cancer treatment, and was fired twice for lying, so I suppose that’s your baseline for acceptable behaviour.

I have many faults, but having affairs and breaking up marriages aren’t amongst them - ymmv.

*totally against Tory "family values"
Old 24-08-2022, 17:37   #4184
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
We're just pointing out the red flags. If you decline to see them there's not much anyone can do about it.

No one has asked for the Prime Minister to be politically correct, just that they appoint an ethics adviser given that it is good practice and ethics (not ambush by cake or the war in Ukraine) was the reason for the downfall of the last PM.

We've all got our faults, old Boy. Which is why in senior roles, it's useful to have advisers and to heed their advice.
If you thought about it, you could name many sorts of advisor. I'm sure that as PM, Liz Truss does not need an advisor for every pettyfogging decision she makes.

And certainly not one who goes around advising on conflicts of interest. I would have thought that was pretty self evident. We need to cut all the waste in government, not add to it.

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:24 ----------

Quote:
That’s an interesting* interpretation - so someone who doesn’t have an affair and doesn’t break up a marriage is "a politically correct moralist"?

Mind you, you were/are a vociferously sycophantic Johnson supporter, and he has the morals of a alley-cat, making his mistresses pregnant and having an affair whilst his wife underwent cancer treatment, and was fired twice for lying, so I suppose that’s your baseline for acceptable behaviour.

I have many faults, but having affairs and breaking up marriages aren’t amongst them - ymmv.

*totally against Tory "family values"
Sorry, did you mean 'yet'?

---------- Post added at 17:37 ---------- Previous post was at 17:26 ----------

Quote:
We want to prevent another nuclear war. Does she need to appoint an advisor for that?

We want to prevent more boats coming across the North Sea. Does she need another advisor for that?

We want to prevent more terrorist attacks. Does she need another advisor for that?

The truth is, there are many things we need to prevent, and many things to address, but we rely on the guy at the top to make these decisions and bring in expertise as required.

All the overkill seems to be a deliberate attempt to frustrate and slow everything down. We have a lot of issues to resolve in a very short time. The PM needs to be freed up to deal with things as she sees fit. If she gets it wrong, the GE will judge her on any failures.
Old 24-08-2022, 17:38   #4185
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
If you thought about it, you could name many sorts of advisor. I'm sure that as PM, Liz Truss does not need an advisor for every pettyfogging decision she makes.

And certainly not one who goes around advising on conflicts of interest. I would have thought that was pretty self evident. We need to cut all the waste in government, not add to it.
No one's suggesting Truss needs an advisor for every decision she makes. But an ethics adviser seems pretty essential given the ethical issues Johnson's team has failed the electorate on.
Closed Thread