Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How long can I use my ntlworld email address for?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Thunderbird Login failed

Old 25-01-2024, 10:51   #1
gus0898uk
cf.addict

gus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enough
Thunderbird Login failed

Hello all
I use Mozilla Thunderbird for my emails, and for some unknown reason a small window appears saying login failed. I am from the analogue era but I have looked at a couple of youtube videos, and not too much seems wrong with my account settings, 465 and 993.

My emails are coming through fine in My VM.

My email address ends ntlworld.com if that makes any difference.

TIA
gus0898uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-01-2024, 11:00   #2
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Thunderbird Login failed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus0898uk View Post
Hello all
I use Mozilla Thunderbird for my emails, and for some unknown reason a small window appears saying login failed. I am from the analogue era but I have looked at a couple of youtube videos, and not too much seems wrong with my account settings, 465 and 993.

TIA
Been having issues with one of my Hotmail accounts and Thunderbird. Strange that the other Hotmail account is ok.

My ntlworld.com account seems to be fine, as I received an email today@9:43 about the delay to the PTSN phone switchover.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2024, 13:46   #3
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Hello all

TIA
If you are using a new device or have reinstalled Thunderbird then there is a new(ish) password requirement when using all third party apps. Only VM webmail and legacy logins on third party apps still allows ongoing access with the original passwords. VM are distancing themselves from e-mail use and apparently plan to end the service at some point.

Details in this post on the VM community forum

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...e/td-p/5325085
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2024, 17:22   #4
gus0898uk
cf.addict

gus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enough

Thanks very much daveeb, I will look into the community forum.

It's not the end of the world if I leave Thunderbird and just use VM email, but you know what it's like for us old'uns to change our ways.
Old 25-01-2024, 17:39   #5
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I like to use a mail client (Thunderbird) because I then have a local copy of all sent and received mail. Useful if the ISP withdraws from the market.

No issues at the moment with @virgin.net and @ntlworld.com
Old 25-01-2024, 21:33   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I have used Outlook on my PC since 2000.
Initially Outlook 2000, and then Outlook 2003 (which I still run).
[ I got the install disk from work ]

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2024, 22:07   #7
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Thanks very much daveeb, I will look into the community forum.

It's not the end of the world if I leave Thunderbird and just use VM email, but you know what it's like for us old'uns to change our ways.
It's not that difficult to do, my daughter did it unwittingly during the lost e-mail debacle in June last year. I'm not sure if you need a different password for each third party app you use or if the one you get serves all but it comes in an XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX format where XXXXX is a random proper word.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2024, 10:39   #8
gus0898uk
cf.addict

I am in dialogue with the community forum without much success, it seems that lots of folk are having problems with VM email at the moment.
There seems to be one section on the VM broadband/email pages stating that ntlworld, blueyonder etc are being dumped, is this correct?
I still get my VM emails on my Android as good as gold, but I seem to hit a brick wall when trying to sort passwords out on VM for VM and VM email. It doesn't help when you are unable to use old passwords..
Old 31-01-2024, 13:54   #9
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I dont think they are being dumped, but they are no longer being assigned, which means their usage will dwindle, and eventually die out.

Old 01-02-2024, 01:33   #10
gus0898uk
cf.addict

Just so I can prepare for the day when I can no longer use my ntlworld email, what is the best option for the future so people/companies who have always contacted me on ntlworld.com can still contact me.

This is if I have not contacted them first.
Old 01-02-2024, 05:22   #11
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Get a none ntl email, and change it on all your company accounts (and tell your friends/family).
This is what we are slowly doing for my wife as I dont plan on keeping NTL much past the end of 2024 (when my contract is up).