Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys WRT54GS Router and Belkin 802.11g Wireless Card

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linksys WRT54GS Router and Belkin 802.11g Wireless Card

Old 07-07-2006, 15:49   #1
xkennyx
Inactive

Services: XL Broadband, XL TV & Phone.
xkennyx is an unknown quantity at this point
Linksys WRT54GS Router and Belkin 802.11g Wireless Card

Hi There,

I Recently bought a linksysWRT54GS router and a Belkin 802.11g Wireless Card, i have set the network up fine but the only problem is i have a 10 MB Connection on my cable modem, but the most i am getting on my wirless pc is 4MB. does anyone have any ideas what the problem is?? i was told i should be able to have a full 10MB connection on the wireless computer effortlessly but i am only getting 4MB max.

Thanks
Kenny
xkennyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2006, 16:58   #2
Mr J
Inactive

Services: NTL 10mb
Mr J is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Linksys WRT54GS Router and Belkin 802.11g Wireless Card

What speed are you transmitting the signal at?!?

You should have few different options for the wireless broadcast speed - 1mbps through to 128 on the Wireless / advanced wireless options link.

See if that helps any.
Mr J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:55   #3
xkennyx
Inactive

Hey,
I have tried your suggestion of playing about with the transmission speeds, i have tried it on the highest setting of 54MBPS and i still get a 4MB connection instead of a 10MB connection. no other computers are on in the house and these are my speed results:

Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:54:26 UTC

1st 512K took 1156 ms = 442.9 KB/sec, approx 3649 Kbps, 3.56 Mbps
2nd 512K took 1032 ms = 496.1 KB/sec, approx 4088 Kbps, 3.99 Mbps
3rd 512K took 1000 ms = 512 KB/sec, approx 4219 Kbps, 4.12 Mbps
4th 512K took 1047 ms = 489 KB/sec, approx 4029 Kbps, 3.93 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 3996 Kbps, 3.9 Mbps.

I would like these results to be up in the 8-10MB area. if anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kenny
Old 10-07-2006, 17:54   #4
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

Is your speed any better if you connect the modem directly to the computer ?

Also, try a different channel to broadcast on in the wireless settings...
Old 10-07-2006, 17:59   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Bit of a co-incidence that your are only getting 4MB max. Are you certain your modem is running at 10meg?

Do you get 10meg through the router if you connect wired?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 19:16   #6
xkennyx
Inactive

yeah i have 10MB running on my modem and when i connect to the modem wired i get 10MB.

i want 10mb wirelessly tho. hmm
Old 10-07-2006, 19:33   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Wonder if there is some conflict that the Belkin card is not reacting properly to the Linksys. Try looking in the Linksys settings for choice between the b and g speeds - set it to g - and see if the Belkin plays ball then.

I assume you have the latest drivers for the Belkin? Is the Belkin USB or PCI card, if the former it is attached to a USB 2 port?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2006, 14:22   #8
xkennyx
Inactive

The Belkin Is A PCI Card.

I have the computer downstairs connected wired to the modem via the router and i get 10MB when using that one, but when i come to use this one i am still recieving a 4MB connection. hmm iv tried numerous things but still no luck.

thanks
kenny