Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Unable to register a My Virgin Media account

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

TV socket used for Virgin

Old 23-01-2022, 17:50   #1
huaraz
cf.member

huaraz is an unknown quantity at this point
TV socket used for Virgin

Hi Forum,

I see that the Virgin TV socket is a big "box" i.e. has replaced the standard TV/FM Aerial socket. Is this only to convert the coax female plug with a F-plug i.e. there is no additional splitter filter in it ? If so could I just use an adaptor like https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-c...-10-pack/39772 on exiting aerial sockets ( assuming I connect the Virgin cable on the basement distribution ) ?

Thank you
Markus

Last edited by huaraz; 23-01-2022 at 18:02.
huaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-01-2022, 16:31   #2
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one
Re: TV socket used for Virgin

TV/FM diplexer/isolators are a throwback to analogue days & are now obselete. The boxes now only contain safety isolators.

Using your own wiring & connectors is another matter. Be aware that the network can be disrupted by ingress from Freeview TV, DAB radio & 4/5G mobile phone signals. DIY wiring has & still does cause a lot of network problems especially if these signals gets back to the street amplifier, resulting in other customers getting degraded services.

Due to the above its against VM T&Cs to make your own mods to their coax, so you do so at your own risk.

Last edited by nodrogd; 27-01-2022 at 16:53.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 21:24   #3
huaraz
cf.member

huaraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. But if I don't share the socket with freeview aerial signals just use the cabling would there be an issue ?

Markus
huaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 22:37   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

If the existing Virgin cable is completely disconnected from the Virgin network so you’re literally just re-using old cable that is already in your house to connect with a Freeview aerial, there’s no issue. The cable is coaxial, same as you would use for Virgin, sky or Freeview. It’s just a higher quality than you would need to buy if you were starting from scratch.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 11:42   #5
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

You don’t say what you are trying to do. Can VM cabling be used for Freeview? Yes, but only if it is completely disconnected from the drop coming in from the street cabinet. Can I use my own cabling/connectors to distribute Virgin TV through the house? As per my post above, this risks a network noise issue & should not be considered.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote