Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Oscar nominations 2022

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Oscar nominations 2022

Old 24-02-2022, 20:47   #31
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Oscar nominations 2022

yup, they reckon they are going to film the award just before the televised ceremony starts but it won't be the same. Either nobody will be there audience wise or people will be in the process of being seated and it just isn't the same. You are being recognised and acknowledged as being a leader in your field of expertise and after all that work and effort you went to for the film, the effort you went to fly to and attend the ceremony, get excited and dress up and you are very much an after thought who is being rushed on and off stage as fast as possible. It is a slap in the face. If they can't present the awards with equal merit and provide them with the respect they deserve then they should just remove them altogether.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-02-2022, 21:00   #32
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

They could cancel the whole thing for me.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2022, 11:59   #33
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I have watched all the films nominated for the major categories and below is the list of peeps I would like to see win. I must say this year's selection was very much a mixed bag. There were some films I was surprised with and were very entertaining and I thoroughly enjoyed such as CODA and there were other films which I thought were a complete snooze fest, couldn't understand why anyone would watch them and was just constantly looking at the clock throughout.

The problem I have got this year for the first time is that I am really struggling with the acting categories. I have always looked at them and thought "Fred and Joe don't deserve to be nominated" but it hasn't been a problem because I have always had an obvious and clear choice to choose from but this year I look at the nominees and nobody has blown me away. To make it worse the one person who I would like to win, Emilia Jones from CODA, isn't even flipping nominated. The same goes for Denis Villeneuve as best director. Wtf!

My preference in most of the categories is Dune and it isn't because it is a mainstream film, was one of my favourite films last year or a blockbuster. Having watched all the nominated films I genuinely believe that Dune was the higher achiever and was far superior in the categories it was nominated in. As an example, it is laughable that The Tragedy of Macbeth is sitting next to Dune for Production Design. The one category I am struggling with is Visual Effects because all the nominees, in comparison to every other category, are worthy contenders and I would happily see them win. Once again though when you consider on balance the range of effects shots and variety used in the film, Dune was the clear standout for me.

What do you think?

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Jessie Buckley (The Lost Daughter)

Best Costume Design
Dune (Jacqueline West)

BEST SOUND
Dune

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Dune (Hans Zimmer)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Dune (Eric Roth, Jon Spaihts & Denis Villeneuve)

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Don’t Look Up (Adam McKay & David Sirota)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Troy Kotsur (CODA)

BEST FILM EDITING
Dune (Joe Walker)

BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING
The Eyes of Tammy Faye

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Luca

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
“Dos Oruguitas” — Lin-Manuel Miranda (Encanto)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Dune (Greig Fraser)

BEST FILM EDITING
Dune (Joe Walker)

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
Dune (Zsuzsanna Sipos & Patrice Vermette)

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
Dune

BEST ACTRESS
Jessica Chastain (The Eyes of Tammy Faye)

BEST ACTOR
Andrew Garfield (Tick, Tick … Boom!)

BEST DIRECTOR
Steven Spielberg (West Side Story)

BEST PICTURE
Dune (it's not going to win so CODA is my runner up)
Old 28-03-2022, 05:50   #34
General Maximus
Ran Away

Well I can't complain. I didn't like the look and feel to the ceremony but I think this is the best year for winners for me. Nearly every category went in the direction I wanted it to which is a first. I am thrilled that Dune won so many categories. Let's hope they are saving Best Picture and Best Director for Dune 2.

Kudos to Will Smith
Old 28-03-2022, 07:57   #35
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

AppleTV+ becoming the first streaming service to have a Best Picture winner almost by accident after Netflix has intentionally tried so hard for years - i.e the Irishman - is pretty funny.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 09:07   #36
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

And the award for the best live action punch goes to Will Smith.
Old 28-03-2022, 09:18   #37
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
AppleTV+ becoming the first streaming service to have a Best Picture winner almost by accident after Netflix has intentionally tried so hard for years - i.e the Irishman - is pretty funny.
That's because CODA was genuinely a well balanced good film. The Irishman was way too long and boring.
Old 28-03-2022, 09:56   #38
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
That's because CODA was genuinely a well balanced good film. The Irishman was way too long and boring.
Yup, and it wasn't created to be 'Best Picture'. Just a decent film that Apple saw and got the rights to.

Whereas Netflix spent ages trying to work out the best formula to win it and going after big names with big budgets.
Old 28-03-2022, 10:22   #39
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Yup, and it wasn't created to be 'Best Picture'. Just a decent film that Apple saw and got the rights to.

Whereas Netflix spent ages trying to work out the best formula to win it and going after big names with big budgets.
OTOH whether or not they win an Oscar, the fact that they aspire to be in that tier means Netflix’s TV movies are a cut above what you expect for the type.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 10:32   #40
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
OTOH whether or not they win an Oscar, the fact that they aspire to be in that tier means Netflix’s TV movies are a cut above what you expect for the type.
I've heard it described as HBO want to become Netflix and Apple want to become HBO.

They've made very good commissioning decisions so far. CODA isn't actually an 'Apple film' as they purchased the rights to it at Sundance (i.e it was already made and sold to them as a finished product) but that others passed in their hunt for Oscar-bait films is a good reflection on whoever Apple pays to make these decisions.
Old 28-03-2022, 13:03   #41
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
good reflection on whoever Apple pays to make these decisions.
yup, Apple seem to have a very unique eye or vision for tv, very analogous to what HBO used to be. Everything Apple make or stream exudes quality and is a cut above the rest. CODA is the first film of theirs I have seen (I know they didn't make it) but you look at series like For All Mankind, See and Foundation and they are just superb. You come away from them with the impression that every single person involved is 110% invested it, it is more than just a job to them, they want it to be perfect and anything less than that isn't good enough.
Old 28-03-2022, 14:17   #42
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
yup, Apple seem to have a very unique eye or vision for tv, very analogous to what HBO used to be. Everything Apple make or stream exudes quality and is a cut above the rest. CODA is the first film of theirs I have seen (I know they didn't make it) but you look at series like For All Mankind, See and Foundation and they are just superb. You come away from them with the impression that every single person involved is 110% invested it, it is more than just a job to them, they want it to be perfect and anything less than that isn't good enough.
Watch Wolfwalkers if you can, excellent film. IMO The best thing on AppleTV+

Old 28-03-2022, 15:08   #43
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Agreed. They aren’t interested in making filler so far as I’ve seen to date. Not all of it is to my taste but it’s clearly all very carefully made. Plus, they’re committed to multi-national talent, so we’re treated to the excellent work of film makers and actors from all over the world, who we might not otherwise have got to know. They also seem to trust the people they commission. The likes of Ted Lasso, for example, could have been a train wreck if those in California doing the commissioning had decided they knew best. But they have clearly allowed their American star to be cast adrift in a British sit-com world, rather than an American parody of one.

(And, though we only watched the first ep for nostaligia’s sake, their re-boot of Fraggle Rock is superb. Lovingly and respectfully done, making good use of advances in TV making without changing stuff just because they could).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 15:49   #44
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

I wish they would knock off the use of Apple products in shows set in contemporary times though. It's very distracting on Ted Lasso when everyone seems to be using a Mac and iPhone with the logo well displayed.

---------- Post added at 14:49 ---------- Previous post was at 14:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Agreed. They aren’t interested in making filler so far as I’ve seen to date.
I wonder how much of this is simply the path they are forced to take with no back catalogue to draw from and Netflix/Amazon already having purchased rights in bulk and how much is how they perceive their brand. Making AppleTV+ a place for the stuff you actively want to seek out and watch rather than a place to go to throw something on when you're bored.
Old 28-03-2022, 16:56   #45
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Watch Wolfwalkers
I'll take your word for it and try and watch it this week. Probably Thursday. I am going to break my garden rule; the only animated stuff I have ever watched (and will watch) is Disney and Pixar. The two exceptions to that are the Clone Wars and Avatar: The Last Airbender. This experience is either going to reinforce and solidify that position or encourage me to be more flexible in the future.