Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | how to make tv 'smart' so i can beam content from tablet/mac over wifi?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

how to make tv 'smart' so i can beam content from tablet/mac over wifi?

Old 02-03-2014, 12:04   #1
wakkaday
cf.addict

wakkaday is an unknown quantity at this point
how to make tv 'smart' so i can beam content from tablet/mac over wifi?

i have hd sony tv but it doenst have wifi etc
is there a way i can add something to the tv, so i can beam stuff over wifi from my tablet android or macbook to the big screen

like screen mirroring without cables etc

thanks in advance
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2014, 12:13   #2
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads
Re: how to make tv 'smart' so i can beam content from tablet/mac over wifi?

Perhaps a media box like a WDTV live? Or as you have a Mac an Apple TV box may or may not be more intuitive with your other Apple devices, someone else will probably know.

I can add pretty much anything on the network as a content source with the WDTV, click send to WDTV or whatever it is when watching Youtube etc.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 15:05   #3
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

For android, you have got Chromecast being available from March in the UK, once some more app devs get their apps compatible might be well worth it (especially for £40 or so)

HTC do a media player, Xbox has a UpnP media player, there's Miracast too, all work with varying degrees of success. I've tried most things.

I'm holding out for Chromecast as it should be able to screen mirror, play any media from any app in due course, whereas the solutions mentioned earlier only have mixed success, especially in playing songs or different formats in video files
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 17:54   #4
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Apple TV for the Mac stuff.
Old 02-03-2014, 20:00   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Our Samsung Smart TV didn't have Wi-Fi built in, but we added a USB wi-fi card.

I do have a Raspberry Pi and was looking to add that to my non-smart TV., But I might get a chromcast for it and use the Pi for home security/automation.
Old 03-03-2014, 15:55   #6
wakkaday
cf.addict

wakkaday is an unknown quantity at this point

yeh my cousin has an lg tv and they have a wifi dongle (it has smart stuff intergrated, but you need to connect the wifi dongle or ethernet) which they have done

and i was able to beem stuff across from my andoroid tablet using some apps

and on youtube it has a special icon to transfer to across to the tv screen which makes it very easy

what i liked about this set up was i didnt have to change the channel / hdmi port or anything it was done automatically, thats what i am looking for?

i would ideal want a device cross platform that could do it over the wifi if not miracast...

definately an android tablet / phone and possibly macbook with an app

thanks guys...

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:52 ----------

will you be able to windows / mac with chromecast?
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote