Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BT Infinity

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

BT Infinity

Old 02-04-2014, 14:34   #1
Berbatov
Inactive

Berbatov is an unknown quantity at this point
BT Infinity

Will BT/PlusNet ever boost Fiber Optic speeds like Virgin Media - They seem to be well behind VM.

Edit
===

Just saw this: http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...aster-internet
Berbatov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2014, 14:53   #2
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BT Infinity

Download speed is literally only half the story. Virgin Media has 152mbit services available in some areas, but their upload speeds are still limited by how cable technology works.

The fibre to the cabinet network that BT are rolling out might "only" give you 80 Meg down but it offers 20 Meg upload which is very useful for uploading images/videos/skype chats and the like.

Your link is for the limited/experimental rollout of Fibre to the premises (FTTP) links. These involve running a fibre directly to your house/office. The speeds are damned fast, but the coverage areas are VERY limited, the install work very involved and you have to have a battery backup to keep your phone line working in a power cut.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 15:01   #3
Berbatov
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
Download speed is literally only half the story. Virgin Media has 152mbit services available in some areas, but their upload speeds are still limited by how cable technology works.

The fibre to the cabinet network that BT are rolling out might "only" give you 80 Meg down but it offers 20 Meg upload which is very useful for uploading images/videos/skype chats and the like.

Your link is for the limited/experimental rollout of Fibre to the premises (FTTP) links. These involve running a fibre directly to your house/office. The speeds are damned fast, but the coverage areas are VERY limited, the install work very involved and you have to have a battery backup to keep your phone line working in a power cut.

Most people like myself really only care about download speeds. With BT Infinity, I'm only getting 30Mb - Why don't BT try to improve broadband speeds and get it closer to 'up to 76Mb' for people who are getting less that half the max speed (76Mb)?

Unfortunately I don't have Virgin Media in my area...
Old 02-04-2014, 15:26   #4
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berbatov View Post
Most people like myself really only care about download speeds. With BT Infinity, I'm only getting 30Mb - Why don't BT try to improve broadband speeds and get it closer to 'up to 76Mb' for people who are getting less that half the max speed (76Mb)?

Unfortunately I don't have Virgin Media in my area...
If you only get 30mb it's likely you live far from the cabinet. They have Vectoring in trials atm that is supposed to help people further away from the cab reach nearer top speeds, then if all goes well perhaps also increase the speed cap http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...sp-speeds.html
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 15:28   #5
Berbatov
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
If you only get 30mb it's likely you live far from the cabinet. They have Vectoring in trials atm that is supposed to help people further away from the cab reach nearer top speeds, then if all goes well perhaps also increase the speed cap http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...sp-speeds.html

No, the cabinet is only round the corner - '20 meters away' according to the BT engineer,
Old 02-04-2014, 15:31   #6
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Are you using wifi during your speed tests or a proper ethernet cable?
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 15:49   #7
Berbatov
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
Are you using wifi during your speed tests or a proper ethernet cable?

I'm using an ethernet cable. With wifi I get 25Mb...
Old 02-04-2014, 16:11   #8
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Then there's something else wrong. If you are truly only 20m from the cab you should be getting max speeds.

If i were you i'd be checking the cab round the corner really is the FTTC cab and if it's not then look for where it really is. Also check the wires you are using, swap any ethernet cables out with spares.

Also, have you been turning the openreach modem off at night? It needs to be left on 24/7 or the system thinks there's a fault when it keeps getting turned off and lowers your speed.
Old 02-04-2014, 16:36   #9
Berbatov
Inactive

Quote:
Then there's something else wrong. If you are truly only 20m from the cab you should be getting max speeds.

If i were you i'd be checking the cab round the corner really is the FTTC cab and if it's not then look for where it really is. Also check the wires you are using, swap any ethernet cables out with spares.

Also, have you been turning the openreach modem off at night? It needs to be left on 24/7 or the system thinks there's a fault when it keeps getting turned off and lowers your speed.

I leave my modem and router on 24/7.

On the BT Infinity site it says I should get '32-41Mb'.
Old 02-04-2014, 17:45   #10
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Then you're not 20m from the cab.
Old 02-04-2014, 17:59   #11
Berbatov
Inactive

Quote:
Then you're not 20m from the cab.

I am, because when I had a fault with my broadband, the engineer had to go to the cabinet and when he came back he said "the cabinet is just around the corner."
Old 02-04-2014, 19:33   #12
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

But the wire isnt
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 21:12   #13
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berbatov View Post
I am, because when I had a fault with my broadband, the engineer had to go to the cabinet and when he came back he said "the cabinet is just around the corner."
People say lots of things. If it was, as the engineer supposedly said, 20m round the corner then you'd have seen it with your own eyes. I would put money on it not being as your estimates are so far off that it's really hard to believe that the wire is taking THAT much of the long way round.
Old 05-04-2014, 20:01   #14
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

a) Get the line stats off your modem
b) Go here, enter your postcode, and find your cab number
c) Go here, enter your full address and copy *all* the results (blank out your address if paranoid).

Also the reason speed isn't boosted as high or often on FTTC is because it is limited by your line length and quality. That isn't improving anytime soon.

If you are desperate, FTTPoD is becoming widely available, letting you have 300Mbps+ speeds anywhere you can get FTTC now, you just have to pay for the line to be installed...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote