Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Homeplug or Extender?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Homeplug or Extender?

Old 10-01-2014, 13:33   #1
chrisjones
Inactive

Services: 100mb BB TiVo 500gb TV L Phone - Evening / Weekends
chrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to chrisjones Send a message via MSN to chrisjones Send a message via Yahoo to chrisjones
Homeplug or Extender?

Hi,
I've got my newly bought Asus RT N66U router working pretty well all around the house except for one tricky spot to the rear of the property, annoyingly where my office is!
I've been looking at Homeplugs and extenders, ideally I'm looking to increase the download speed, am I better with a set of Homeplugs or an extender?
chrisjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2014, 01:55   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Homeplug or Extender?

Both.

Plug the extender into the homeplug.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:23   #3
chrisjones
Inactive

chrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to chrisjones Send a message via MSN to chrisjones Send a message via Yahoo to chrisjones

Is that not a little OTT?
Old 11-01-2014, 07:45   #4
Mr Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones View Post
Hi,
I've got my newly bought Asus RT N66U router working pretty well all around the house except for one tricky spot to the rear of the property, annoyingly where my office is!
I've been looking at Homeplugs and extenders, ideally I'm looking to increase the download speed, am I better with a set of Homeplugs or an extender?

I have both, I use the home plugs for my office PC and the extender to get signal into my garage so I can watch football etc on my I pad.

The home plugs seem to give a more stable experience whereas with the extender I have to resync with my router from time to time. My home plugs are belkin which are a plug socket as well, which is handy and my extender Is a net gear one.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:05   #5
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

I use TP link Homeplugs which are a better choice as they are in effect a wired connection and give a faster, more stable connection that wireless
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:44   #6
chrisjones
Inactive

With regards to the homeplugs, do they tend to give a decent download speed?

With my current set-up, I'm getting full signal to the laptop, however (in that one room only) it's only getting around 35mbps download from my 60mb connection.
Old 12-01-2014, 15:56   #7
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

On my measly 30meg, I get 30 Meg through the Homeplugs
progers is offline   Reply With Quote