Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

[GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Old 26-03-2010, 18:32   #1
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age
Post [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

I wanted to put together this to compliment a couple of threads that are around about how to go about flashing your Virgin DIR-615 D2 to dd-wrt firmware. There are other guides about the web - if you'd rather use them then fine

I'm not explaining why you would want to do this so if your happy with what you've got, don't go messing. For those that want to read more about dd-wrt read up at http://www.dd-wrt.com.

Quote:
I've done this twice and both times have been fine but you do this at your own risk. I will not take responsibility if you mess it up! Note I have only tested it on the Virgin supplied DIR-615 running the D2 firmware - No idea if it will work on others. Also note this guide may be outdated with new firmware versions but it work for me and I am happy with it.
You will need two files to do this as you will be flashing the router twice:
1. dlink-revb-factory-webflash.bin
2. dir615d2-revb-ddwrt-webflash.bin

Quote:
Do not flash your firmware whilst connected via Wireless. Always connect via a cable!
Quote:
Your IP addressing may be different to mine. Know what yours is before proceeding.
1. Connect to your router via LAN cable
2. Open your router homepage (eg http://192.168.1.1) and log in
3. Select Firmware Upgrade within the Application menu
4. Use the file: dlink-revb-factory-webflash.bin (NOTE: Ensure you use the FACTORY one)
5. Wait about 3 minutes whilst the new firmware is uploaded and the router restarts (NOTE: Do not interrupt this process)
5a. Set your network card to the following IP settings:
IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1
6. Open you new firmware homepage (NOTE: this will be http://192.168.1.1)
7. You should have the standard dd-wrt page. Create a username and password and save changes.
8. Select Firmware Upgrade within the Administration menu
9. Select the second file: dir615d2-revb-ddwrt-webflash.bin
10. Again wait until this has finished uploading and your router restarted (NOTE: Do not interrupt this process)
11. Change IP Addressing back to 'Automatic'

You should now have a fully functional dd-wrt on your router. Enjoy!
Remember to run through configuration on how to connect to the Internet and setup your Wireless Connection again.
12. Connect to your shiny new dd-wrt firmware (http://192.168.1.1) and configure to your hearts content!

If you need any help using dd-wrt refer to the dd-wrt homepage or post here and I'll pop on now and then and try to help.
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-03-2010, 20:03   #2
darren.b
cf.addict

darren.b has a spectacular aura about themdarren.b has a spectacular aura about themdarren.b has a spectacular aura about themdarren.b has a spectacular aura about them
Re: [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Didn't work. After step 5 I can no longer access the router or the internet.

I guess I'm in the market for a new router then. Probably a good thing anyway
darren.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 20:09   #3
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age

Try setting your computer IP settings manually to 192.168.1.2 then try

IP: 192.168.1.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Can you access it now?
Old 26-03-2010, 20:11   #4
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

Just a quick question here
The DD-Wrt firmware does it have same HNAP Vulnerability as the Dlink firmware itself?
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 20:19   #5
Acathla
cf.mega poster

I think the HNAP Vulnerability is within Dlink's firmware so my personal thoughts would be no, dd-wrt won't be affected but I'm not 100% certain.
Old 26-03-2010, 20:39   #6
darren.b
cf.addict

darren.b has a spectacular aura about themdarren.b has a spectacular aura about themdarren.b has a spectacular aura about themdarren.b has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acathla View Post
Try setting your computer IP settings manually to 192.168.1.2 then try

IP: 192.168.1.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Can you access it now?
Yes

The router IP had also changed. I'll flash it with the second file and get back to you.
Old 26-03-2010, 20:45   #7
Acathla
cf.mega poster

ace!

Mods, any way you can give me permission to edit my first post and keep it up-to-date with changes that the good people of Cable Forum find?
Old 26-03-2010, 21:09   #8
darren.b
cf.addict

After flashing for the second time, I set the IP back to "automatic" and it's back in business. A million thank yous
Old 26-03-2010, 22:31   #9
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
ace!

Mods, any way you can give me permission to edit my first post and keep it up-to-date with changes that the good people of Cable Forum find?
Nope, we cannot do that, but you can PM someone with the changes.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 01:09   #10
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Rather than PM a mod, can the next mod to see this add/replace the following steps to post #1. Thanks.

12. Connect to your shiny new dd-wrt firmware (http://192.168.1.1) and configure to your hearts content!
Old 27-03-2010, 10:20   #11
jellyfish
Inactive

jellyfish is an unknown quantity at this point

once you apply the ddwrt firmware, you will not want to go back to the "official" firmware

one of the reasons I did this was to set up a VPN to my home network, so now I can VPN onto my network and access resources at home from any place
jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 10:54   #12
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Rather than PM a mod, can the next mod to see this add/replace the following steps to post #1. Thanks.

I'll do that for ya, in future though please do as requested and PM a mod to stop the thread getting cluttered with repeat information
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 11:54   #13
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Can I ask, being an owner of said router, is there any real advantage to this third party firmware change?
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 00:45   #14
Acathla
cf.mega poster

If your happy with what your router does now then no, no real advantage.
If you wish it did more then, yes massive advantage!

Read up on what you can do with dd-wrt and if you want some of it then flash - else stick to what you have.

Personally, my DIR-615 was unusable until I flashed.
Old 28-03-2010, 02:34   #15
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Well I decided to give it a try, and the process worked fine - now running dd-wrt.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote