Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Zoom adsl modem router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Zoom adsl modem router?

Old 04-03-2007, 08:19   #1
gardenz
Inactive

gardenz is an unknown quantity at this point
Zoom adsl modem router?

I am setting up a system for my nieces and would be grateful if someone could tell me if I could reuse my old Zoom adsl modem router as a 'Router only'.They have ntlworld already and I was hoping to keep costs down by being able to reuse the Zoom with their cable modem.Or must i buy a dedicated cable router,many thanks
gardenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2007, 08:50   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Zoom adsl modem router?

ADSL routers do not work with DSL very well, a new DSL router would be around £30 max.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:10   #3
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
ADSL routers do not work with DSL very well, a new DSL router would be around £30 max.
Coffee not ready yet Paul?

You might wanna rephrase that...
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:07   #4
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Why? Yes it's possible to have the ADSL router act more as an access point for the network but the easier route would be getting a router designed to cover the job properly for the connection. You can get DSL routers relatively cheaply these days and buying a wireless router now will help future proof the setup a bit.
Standard 4 port routers can bought cheaply enough now:
Dabs
Komplett
and obviously wireless are a little more money
Komplett
Komplett2
The one we have
By the way we would need to know the model of the zoom router you have before we could tell you if it's possible to use it as a switch/ access point.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:19   #5
gardenz
Inactive

gardenz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank-you for replies, the model is x5 5554
gardenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:23   #6
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

You mean Cable surely Paul, not DSL?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:29   #7
Paul K
Inactive

Oh that bit, a lot of cable routers are also DSL routers but yes I meant cable router.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:37   #8
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Oh that bit, a lot of cable routers are also DSL routers but yes I meant cable router.
Correct, but at the end of the day, anything that outputs Ethernet could be connected to the WAN Port, I've connected it to another router before
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:53   #9
simbr
Inactive

Services: ntl Phone, ntl Digital TV, ntl Cable (10 Mbps)
simbr is a name known to allsimbr is a name known to allsimbr is a name known to allsimbr is a name known to allsimbr is a name known to allsimbr is a name known to allsimbr is a name known to allsimbr is a name known to all

A cable router is just a router. A DSL router has a built-in modem so has no WAN port (at least, I've never seen one that does). You could use it as a switch and DHCP server on a network, but you could not route traffic through it or use NAT.
simbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 15:29   #10
tomvass83
Inactive

tomvass83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the above router. i connected the feed from the modem into the LAN one port and then my computer into the LAN 2 port which worked perfectly. i however couldn't get the second computer to run through the LAN 3 port though.

any suggestions???

regards
tomvass83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 00:29   #11
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvass83 View Post
I have the above router. i connected the feed from the modem into the LAN one port and then my computer into the LAN 2 port which worked perfectly. i however couldn't get the second computer to run through the LAN 3 port though.

any suggestions???

regards
because its acting like a switch rather than a router.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote