Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] NTL and wireless...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] NTL and wireless...

Old 07-10-2006, 19:38   #1
lordsi86
Inactive

Services: NTL 4 meg BB Cable tv and phone
lordsi86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Random DC'ing

Hi I have got NTL cable BB and a belkin router to share the connection to the other ppl i share my house with. my pc is connected via the wired connection and they use the wireless. for some reason they are being constantly disconnected every 5-10 mins or so... the cabled connection works fine and stays connected for longer... but it still does it occasionally. I know other people around my area are having the same problem with ntl and linksys or belkin routers... any ideas would be greatfully appreciated cos its a royal pain at the mo!

cheers

Simon
lordsi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2006, 19:57   #2
lordsi86
Inactive

[Merged] Frequent Wireless & NTL Disconnects

Hi,

does anyone have ntl and a wireless router and wireless connections that are constantly disconnecting and reconnecting.... I have 4 meg ntl and a belkin router... i am sure it is not a router fault becuase the house down the road has 10 meg BB and a linksys router and are having the same problems. on the wired connection it dc's less often.... after hours... but the wireless connections are disconnecting and require manual reconnection every 15 mins or so and it is getting very irritating!

if anyone can shed some light on how to fix this problem i would be very greatful for any help!

cheers
Old 08-10-2006, 20:00   #3
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star
Re: HELP! Please... this is driving me mad

Are you sure the Belkin and Linksys aren't on the same wireless channel? which could cause issues if they are within range of eachother.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 20:22   #4
lordsi86
Inactive

no no these particula ones are far out of range... but would that have an effect. i am living in a student area so chances are any other networks mite be on the defualt channel.... that would be why the cable connection is not affected...?
Old 08-10-2006, 20:25   #5
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Yes, it's worth changing the channel, domestic wireless stuff like cordless phones can also cause glitches...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 22:18   #6
lordsi86
Inactive

[Merged] NTL and wireless...

Hi, i've posted here before and you have all been extremely helpful. its still the same problem that has never gone away i just got fed of of fighting with it and just accepted constant problems to save my laptop from going out the window.

i have a Belkin Wireless G plus router model f5d7231-4, and and NTL 250 modem with 4 meg BB. i have one pc wired to the router which works fine. there are also 3 laptops in my house which connect wirelessly. these PC's cannot hold the connection for any useful length of time. the wireless network itself dissapears. the only problem is the wired connection still remains, and if the CM is not plugged in the network is totally stable and fine with no dc's.

originally (for about 4 hours) the CM was plugged straight into the PC and i had no problems whatsoever. i have spent so much time on this my brain is turning to mush.

all the laptops are set up to auto configure ip add etc
the router is set to dhcp
i have tried talking to NTL tech support who suggested all the usual things, downpower and repower etc, checking network settings etc etc. there final solution was to try the CM direct to PC and see if the connection still drops which it doesnt. they now insist it is a router problem. even tho the network alone works fine and i have even tried a different router, the linksys WRT54gS. which had the exact same problems.
i have also had a long talk with a belkin support chap in india, who did his best to help but i cudnt understand a damn word he said.

in my search i recently came across a page that told me how to get to the modem settings. i foudn the event log and this is part of what was shown. (i am hoping this is the problem - seeing the word critical cant be a good sign).

Tue Jan 09 22:01:14 2007 Tue Jan 09 22:01:14 2007 14 Critical(3) 82000500 Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... Time Not Established Time Not Established 4 Critical(3) 68000300 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response. Time Not Established Time Not Established 1 Critical(3) 68000100 DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received Time Not Established Time Not Established 2 Critical(3) 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out Time Not Established Time Not Established 73 Critical(3) 85000100 No UCD's Received - Timeout Time Not Established Time Not Established 2384 Critical(3) 84000100 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q... Tue Dec 12 01:00:56 2006 Tue Dec 12 01:00:56 2006 1 Critical(3) 85000100 No UCD's Received - Timeout
there is still more but i dont want this post to go on too long. if anyone can help me i would greatly appreciated. I have had NTL for 6 months and and a hairstring away from cancelling it all as i have never had it working correctly.

Simon
Old 09-01-2007, 23:05   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: [Merged] NTL and wireless...

I've merged some of your previous posts so as to try and avoid some of the ground that may have been covered before.

If the wireless connection disappears are you sure there isn't some local interference. Is the wireless secure?

With a few PCs is there any heavy use anywhere that could be saturating the connection, especiually the upstream - i.e. p2p type usage?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 23:17   #8
Jacquesb
cf.addict

Services: VM phone , 2xV6 (Full house XL), ViViD200 Optical fibre BB. Stream - Netflix, iPlayer,
Jacquesb is an unknown quantity at this point

Simon

I have pretty much the same setup but the cable modem is a Terrayon (I think) with the Belkin 54g and it worked and has stayed working straight out of the box. I do have an intermittent but recurring problem with a PC which is wirelessly connected - the signal strength is always low and from time to time it loses the connection and I have to disable and re-enable the network card.

I'm pretty sure my problem is just with that PC - the 2 x laptops and Nokia tablet which also use the network are fine as long as they are in range.

Do you have any issues with signal strength?

J
Jacquesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 23:30   #9
lordsi86
Inactive

there are times of heavy usage on the pc but the problem is all the time, even when p2p hasnt been used for days. the laptops are very lightly used as the connection doesnt stay for long enough for p2p and cuts out for maybe 15-30 seconds when playing online games. signal strength is good-to-exellent in all the rooms where the laptops are. yes the network is secured, and i have tried changing the channel of the wireless on several occasions to try and rule out interference.

S