Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless - icon showing turned off?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless - icon showing turned off?

Old 04-09-2007, 18:45   #1
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch
Wireless - icon showing turned off?

I've got the Netgear DG834G and my icon in the system tray is showing as turned off - although its not because i'm posting this using the wireless

Anyone got any ideas?? Possibly some spyware??

Thanks in advance
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2007, 19:04   #2
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Re: Wireless - icon showing turned off?

Which icon do you mean? The icon for your wireless NIC's utility software or the Windows icon?
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 19:18   #3
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Is it a laptop? if so, do you have a switch on the front/side of your machine or do you enable/disable by means of a Function/F key combination?

edit... scratch that, I've read your post again and I should have gone to specasavers
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 20:26   #4
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Which icon do you mean? The icon for your wireless NIC's utility software or the Windows icon?
Its the intel software wireless utility icon in the system tray, still showing as off

EDIT: Just refreshed my wireless connection and its showing as working again now, very weird!
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 21:03   #5
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbiatch View Post
Its the intel software wireless utility icon in the system tray, still showing as off

EDIT: Just refreshed my wireless connection and its showing as working again now, very weird!
May be something to do with the DG834G PnP capability...

See here. I used to have one & it didn't always show up in the PnP devices view.
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 21:54   #6
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of

My Mum gets this happening with the Belkin PCI wireless card & software in her desktop connecting to her Sky Netgear router.
The icon will keep going red and saying disconnected, but it's clearly still working as the internet is fine.
It will go back to green & connected after a few minutes, or after a refresh of the networks.

I just told her to ignore it and only call me when it really isn't working!
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 23:38   #7
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbiatch View Post

My pcs do that all the time perticually vista even on the wired connection.

the systray icon is sometimes very slow to change I will have sometimes managed to open up thunderbird and will be downloading emails from the server and signed onto windows live messenger before vista notices its on-line

Had a friends PC running XP that was being used with a cheapo generic Wireless adaptor that would usually tell you that it had no network connection.

Yet it was perfectly possible to surf the internet on this machine with no problem, and the status leds on the Adaptor showed a connection it was just windows that was inisiting it wasn't connected.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote