Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Problem obtaining ip address

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Problem obtaining ip address

Old 04-09-2009, 15:54   #1
Morpheus1972
Inactive

Morpheus1972 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Problem obtaining ip address

Hi all,

I recently upgraded to the VM 50mg service, router and modem is now a black shinny jobbie, everything is perfect with the exception of my psp and ps3, for some reason the intermitantly keep dropping offline so i check it by doing a connection test on the ps3 it fails at obtaining ip address, it simply says FAILED, and when i do the connection test on the psp it says communication with the server failed . A DNS error has occured (80410402) ....However, it does not do this all the time, sometimes you can switch on and they will both work wireless no problem. My ps3 works great wired.

Before the new 50mg I had a 20meg and that had no problems wireless with PS3 and PSP

So im at a bit of a loss and would appreciate any thoughts or idea's

Thanks
Morpheus
xx
Morpheus1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2009, 18:50   #2
Morpheus1972
Inactive

Re: Problem obtaining ip address

Gutted, no one can assist...Boo Hooo
Old 05-09-2009, 19:23   #3
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

That's a router issue, not a service speed related issue. First step is to ensure all devices are using the same wireless channel, preferably one that isn't chockablock with other networks. Has your router changed recently? Or had any config changes?
Old 05-09-2009, 20:15   #4
Morpheus1972
Inactive

Hi Bender thanks for the reply, i have everything on the same channel and i have done nothing different other than upgraded from the 20mg to 50mg. Im at a total loss as sometimes it works fine but for most of the time i get nothing unless wired

Morph
Old 05-09-2009, 20:17   #5
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus1972 View Post
Hi Bender thanks for the reply, i have everything on the same channel and i have done nothing different other than upgraded from the 20mg to 50mg. Im at a total loss as sometimes it works fine but for most of the time i get nothing unless wired

Morph
Which router do you have?
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 20:29   #6
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

now they are all on the same channel, how good is the signal between the devices and the router?
Old 05-09-2009, 20:43   #7
Morpheus1972
Inactive

100% signal strength, the router is Netgear wireless N router WNR2000
Old 05-09-2009, 20:50   #8
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
100% signal strength, the router is Netgear wireless N router WNR2000
If you are having connection issues with the router then you will need to call the 50Mb support line so they can resolve this issue for you.

50Mb support line number.

0800 052 0431
Old 05-09-2009, 20:55   #9
Morpheus1972
Inactive

thanks ill give them a call and see what happens, just as a longshot i noticed in ps3 forums they mention setup of DMZ ip address aint got a clue what it means..lol
Old 05-09-2009, 20:56   #10
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
thanks ill give them a call and see what happens, just as a longshot i noticed in ps3 forums they mention setup of DMZ ip address aint got a clue what it means..lol
I am not sure who you will get on the 50Mb line at the moment, if not happy with who answers wait till after 0800 on Monday morning.
Old 05-09-2009, 21:08   #11
Morpheus1972
Inactive

What an interesting conversation, I found it hard to understand and if im not mistaken i was talking to an asian lady who by the sound if it was reading for a set of pre written questions/answers.... and after a few minutes she adviced that the problem was clearly with my PS3 and not VM...........................Hummmm !!!!
Think i will keep reasearching until i find the solution. Thanks folks for your assistance and taking time to write back.
Morph
Old 05-09-2009, 21:16   #12
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
What an interesting conversation, I found it hard to understand and if im not mistaken i was talking to an asian lady who by the sound if it was reading for a set of pre written questions/answers.... and after a few minutes she adviced that the problem was clearly with my PS3 and not VM...........................Hummmm !!!!
Think i will keep reasearching until i find the solution. Thanks folks for your assistance and taking time to write back.
Morph
As I said above call on Monday after 0800.
Old 05-09-2009, 21:20   #13
Morpheus1972
Inactive

thoughts exactly the same..lol...thanks again for your help