Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CAT5 ethernet wiring question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

CAT5 ethernet wiring question

Old 05-10-2011, 14:05   #1
Zilkers
Permanently Banned

Zilkers is an unknown quantity at this point
Question CAT5 ethernet wiring question

I am currently working on ideas for my engineering class, this summer i worked in IT and ended up wiring over 100 CAT5 cables for wireless access points and i found my fingers being very sore and hurting after bending and straightening the wires to fit in the caps. Straightening and putting the wires in the correct order also was the longest part of the process. I want to know if this is a common problem and if it would be usefull or helpful to design something to straighten and put the wires in the correct order for you to make wiring easier.
Thank you for any input you can provide
Zilkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2011, 14:14   #2
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: CAT5 ethernet wiring question

Please do not use bold in posts as it is the system that is used to edit or moderate by the Cable Forum Team.Thank you.
Old 05-10-2011, 14:28   #3
roger skillin
Inactive

Services: V+ XL,Broadband XXL, Phone with talk unlimited and extra TIVO box
roger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilkers View Post
I want to know if this is a common problem and if it would be usefull or helpful to design something to straighten and put the wires in the correct order for you to make wiring easier.
Thank you for any input you can provide
Well you be able to use something to put the wires in the correct order, how would a tool know what wire is where?
as for straightening them, i just use my fingers, if you find anything better please let me know .
mind you if i had a lot to do then i would just buy the cables rather than make them, dirt cheap from CPC
roger skillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 15:26   #4
ParamountPD
Inactive

ParamountPD is an unknown quantity at this point

Tip: Dont un-twist the pairs completely, slightly open up the colours on the edge of the gaps and push, they will open and slide in much quicker and neater, and with the cable staying twisted it eliminates any crosstalk

if you can develop something better than fingers and eyes to do that Job let me know ASAP, as i will instantly go in to business with you

PPD
ParamountPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 17:15   #5
Zilkers
Permanently Banned

Zilkers is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not know what could untwist wires and put the colors in the correct place, but that is the point of engineering. If i knew how to solve this problem, then there wouldn't be a problem to solve. Thanks for the help so far.
Zilkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 19:54   #6
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Presumably the patch cables that are sold commercially are assembled by some sort of machinery. I'd imagine they would have to use a colour recognition system of some description to set the wires in the right order and trim to length.

It may be worth researching the technology involved?
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote