Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus

Old 01-12-2021, 23:24   #61
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
I personally think the back to normal was a mistake. I believe they shoudl not have lifted mask rules and to a degree some from of social distancing should have been left in place. I am of ill health and will not go into a pub or a busy market and tbh I avoid shopping as much as I can. A week ago Monday I went to Aldi and it quite busy and I was the only one without a mask. It was like covid did not exist. Well it has not gone anywhere and it is still killing people a hell of a lot more than the flu

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

no some people do not give a toss about others. Why should I give a toss about them so make em wear a mask and fine em if they refuse I am all for it
Fully understand your health conditions, but you do have a choice not to go to a pub or a busy place (I would agree about avoiding crowds in general).

But this is again a situation of projecting ones own issues onto others. The majority of people are healthy and shouldn't be treated as though they are sick when a minority could take precautions, such as avoiding crowds, wearing surgical masks, if they feel they are at risk of being with others.

A fair amount of these "underlying conditions" may also affect people who have colds, flu, etc. Now I do totally agree that people who have an illness which they can spread to others should stay at home as much as possible, but we don't need mask mandates for this.

That argument also conveniently swerves those who are exempt from wearing a face covering, and aren't simply being cocks about it. And not all of those are physical - if someone was assaulted, and held over their mouth to prevent them shouting for help, that attack could traumatise them and a face covering may well trigger them.

nffc is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2021, 23:26   #62
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I personally think the back to normal was a mistake. I believe they shoudl not have lifted mask rules and to a degree some from of social distancing should have been left in place. I am of ill health and will not go into a pub or a busy market and tbh I avoid shopping as much as I can.
And I’m not, and while I sympathise about your health, I will not curtail my lifestyle because of it.

Quote:
no some people do not give a toss about others. Why should I give a toss about them so make em wear a mask and fine em if they refuse I am all for it
And around we go. You can’t fine them.
Old 01-12-2021, 23:27   #63
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

But Covid has been shown to have no respect for healthy or not healthy. The figures posted in the other thread show how the majority now going into hospital are unvaccinated. Just imagine how many less there would be if everyone had the vaccine? If everyone was vaccinated then yes only those with health issues would need to take care.
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 23:32   #64
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
But Covid has been shown to have no respect for healthy or not healthy.
That’s just plain incorrect sorry.

There are some people of course that are healthy and younger that may become seriously but it is a very small number. The exception does not make the rule.

Quote:
The figures posted in the other thread show how the majority now going into hospital are unvaccinated.
No shit? What are the odds?

Quote:
Just imagine how many less there would be if everyone had the vaccine? If everyone was vaccinated then yes only those with health issues would need to take care.
I don’t disagree
Old 01-12-2021, 23:38   #65
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Seems like the WHO have changed their tune somewhat on their earlier statement regarding omicron only causing mild symptoms

https://apple.news/A68kie14ISImbZjJQnnIUEQ
Old 01-12-2021, 23:44   #66
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
You can’t run the world or your life on the pre-cautionary principle, I mean you can try. I don’t think it’ll work out for you though.
How is your car insurance, your house & contents insurance, your life insurance, and your holiday insurance?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 23:54   #67
nffc
cf.mega poster

nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Seems like the WHO have changed their tune somewhat on their earlier statement regarding omicron only causing mild symptoms

https://apple.news/A68kie14ISImbZjJQnnIUEQ
Seems to me it's just going to take a couple of weeks before they know for sure.

Old 02-12-2021, 00:20   #68
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
How is your car insurance, your house & contents insurance, your life insurance, and your holiday insurance?
That paranoid stuff is just for people who cower under the stairs
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:11   #69
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Do any of those require you to wear a mask ?
Do any of them (supposedly) prevent transmission of a virus, or possibly make you ill.
(Granted, the price of some of them might make you feel faint).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:23   #70
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Fine and totally irrelevant to the discussion thanks.

Hope that helps
Old 02-12-2021, 08:39   #71
nffc
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I get the point there but the analogy doesn't really work, nor do many analogies you can pull off it.

You have to insure your car, you don't have to insure holidays or homes, though it's a good idea to.

If you're trying to equate having holiday insurance to wearing a mask, then is there a situation where someone going on holiday with no insurance can get themselves in a situation where the lack of insurance causes them an issue on holiday and their situation directly causes a situation for others who are on holiday whether they have insurance or not. That's an equivalent analogy to someone who has covid and goes somewhere without a mask on and infects other people (which will happen whether or not they are wearing a mask), It doesn't happen and though mask wearing, like holiday insurance, is a good idea for now at least.

Insuring your car does protect others though because your insurance won't need to pay out if you have an accident which isn't your fault, it will be the other party's. But I still don't see the direct parallel between any of this and mask wearing.

If they were really bothered about getting tabs on omicron they would be encouraging people to do LFTs before leaving the house, if they test positive then you need to isolate until confirmed by PCR, which they'd then have to sequence. In that case, there's probably less need for masks anyway if these people have tested negative.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:36   #72
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Maybe they just don’t want to wear one?

I don’t see why?

If there were any principles mask mandates wouldn’t have been reintroduced.

Belated reply, good morning btw

1. That's fine, but as has been covered elsewhere we all have to do things which we don't want too, or make little legal sense.

2. If people feel so strongly and want to intentionally break the law with their 'protest' then why would they not accept the consequences of doing so rather than cowering behind medical reasons that aren't applicable to them.

3. Why not?

---------- Post added at 08:36 ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc View Post
I get the point there but the analogy doesn't really work, nor do many analogies you can pull off it.

You have to insure your car, you don't have to insure holidays or homes, though it's a good idea to.

If you're trying to equate having holiday insurance to wearing a mask, then is there a situation where someone going on holiday with no insurance can get themselves in a situation where the lack of insurance causes them an issue on holiday and their situation directly causes a situation for others who are on holiday whether they have insurance or not. That's an equivalent analogy to someone who has covid and goes somewhere without a mask on and infects other people (which will happen whether or not they are wearing a mask), It doesn't happen and though mask wearing, like holiday insurance, is a good idea for now at least.

Insuring your car does protect others though because your insurance won't need to pay out if you have an accident which isn't your fault, it will be the other party's. But I still don't see the direct parallel between any of this and mask wearing.

If they were really bothered about getting tabs on omicron they would be encouraging people to do LFTs before leaving the house, if they test positive then you need to isolate until confirmed by PCR, which they'd then have to sequence. In that case, there's probably less need for masks anyway if these people have tested negative.
You don't have to insure your car at all, however you do need to insure it to legally drive it on a public road.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:35   #73
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Oh for heaven's sake just wear the damned mask and wear it OVER your nose.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:51   #74
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
Oh for heaven's sake just wear the damned mask and wear it OVER your nose.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:03   #75
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post

If you don't want to wear a mask, perhaps you could stay at home and order online instead. Thus, allowing the majority who have no issue whatsoever with wearing masks to go about their business in shops etc.