Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky One to close

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Sky One to close

Old 28-07-2021, 20:46   #1
murfitUK
cf.addict

murfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to all
Sky One to close

Sky have announced that Sky One will close in September, to be replaced with two channels Showcase and Max.

Personally I don't really watch much on Sky One (only Macgyver and SWAT at present).
Wonder if Max will become an additional paid-for channel on VM like Atlantic is?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-channel.html
murfitUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-07-2021, 21:23   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Sky One to close

Nope

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...&postcount=977
Old 28-07-2021, 23:42   #3
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
To help customers easily find programmes that they love and to discover new shows, we’re making some changes to our portfolio of TV channels and on demand destinations.
What complete bull.

Sky One has existed for 30+ years, I think people can easily find their programmes.

I havent watched anything on Sky for years, but I still have it listed in Digiguide - its not exactly hard to find anything.
Im sure people can use similar systems if they dont have DG.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 00:37   #4
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
What complete bull.

Sky One has existed for 30+ years, I think people can easily find their programmes.

I havent watched anything on Sky for years, but I still have it listed in Digiguide - its not exactly hard to find anything.
Im sure people can use similar systems if they dont have DG.
thought oh digiguide not heard of that so had a look and it costs, think I will stick with pog ( I am one of those other people hehehe )
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 12:41   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Well I'm currently watching Supergirl, Legend of Tomorrow and Prodigal Son.

If I lose these I'd be royally peed.

---------- Post added at 11:41 ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 ----------

Then there are the NCIS series.
Old 13-08-2021, 13:19   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post

CinemaHD Android app is your friend.
Old 13-08-2021, 23:19   #7
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

If I understood it correctly, you wont, they will be on .. somewhere ...

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 11:24   #8
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

These programmes will be on Sky Max, presumably.
Old 14-08-2021, 12:03   #9
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

Supergirl is on its final season. Prodigal Son has been cancelled so that's the same. Once their current run is done there aren't any more to miss.

I can't find where I read it but I recall it saying the superhero series would be on Showcase. Until WB launches its streaming services in UK I don't think you (or I, I watch it too) have to worry about losing access to DC's Legends Of Tomorrow.

Sky Showcase and Max will be available on all platforms Sky1 is currently on, so you won't lose access to remainer of their runs, some of them may have ended before the change happens anyway (I watch neither Supergirl or PS so am not sure how far through they are).

As for NCIS, it will probably end up on one of the other channels that currently show the franchise. 5USA would be my 1st guess given they have a parent company in common. Sky Max would be my 2nd guess as I think NCIS LA will move to that from Sky1.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 14:11   #10
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the rough

No the Superhero shows will be on Sky Max ,

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

It's the Simpsons that is staying on Sky Showcase.

Also I presume in future live football (like last night) will be on Sky Showcase with the Movies Sky One used to air on Sky Showcase aswell.

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 14-08-2021 at 14:17. Reason: Added
TimeLord2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 15:52   #11
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

As I understand it, Sky Showcase is showing content taken from other Sky channels. The same principle as Sky Sports Main Event.

I didn’t think that anything on Sky Showcase would be exclusive to that channel, but maybe Sky is only loosely applying that principle.

I guess we’ll see when the listings are published.
Old 14-08-2021, 16:53   #12
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 View Post
No the Superhero shows will be on Sky Max ,

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

It's the Simpsons that is staying on Sky Showcase.

Also I presume in future live football (like last night) will be on Sky Showcase with the Movies Sky One used to air on Sky Showcase aswell.
I'd read that about The Simpsons, I wonder what I read that I misunderstood about the Superhero shows.

Yeah, that was my interpretation about the likes of football and movies too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
As I understand it, Sky Showcase is showing content taken from other Sky channels. The same principle as Sky Sports Main Event.

I didn’t think that anything on Sky Showcase would be exclusive to that channel, but maybe Sky is only loosely applying that principle.

I guess we’ll see when the listings are published.
Of the many things I read, and obviously subsequently partially misremembered, the bit that mentioned The Simpsons did so with the suggestion that shows whose future with Sky was uncertain and unlikely to continue, would be on Showcase, whilst the rest would be on Max, Max basically being Sky1 in all but name and EPG position.

Though I too understood it to be the equivalent of Main Event, the implementation can surely only be loose as whereas sport events are one-offs, Showcase will have episodes of Series. If they only ever had a schedule of Episode 1's, amongst the one-off sport and movies, then it's possible people would avoid the channel as they'd go straight to the other channel in question instead, as outside of sport and movies everyone who has one Sky Entertainment channel has them all (on Satellite at least) anyway. I could be wrong, maybe most people won't think like that.

I'm expecting whole series, but just their Series 1 as a taster to get you hooked. So maybe they'll show say Series 1 in the lead up to Series 4 starting on its relevant Sky channel, tell you that Series 2 and 3 are On-Demand in a Boxset and time it such, scheduling-wise, that you'll probably have finished those by Series 4 starting on the relevant Sky channel.

Like you say, we'll soon say. Listings are normally a few weeks ahead so we'll likely find out early this week.
Old 14-08-2021, 18:37   #13
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the rough

RE: Prodigal Son last episode (I don't watch it either) is the day Sky One basically becomes Sky Max unlike Lucifer I don't see that show being revived.

Not sure about the whole series but Code 404 is on both Sky Showcase and Sky Comedy at the same time on 1st of September.
TimeLord2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 11:09   #14
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Some information on the listings here:

https://www.mediamole.co.uk/entertai...se_459089.html
Old 15-08-2021, 12:04   #15
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Some information on the listings here:

https://www.mediamole.co.uk/entertai...se_459089.html
Thanks OB.

A lot of Sky Max simulcasting there.