Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of television

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion

The future of television

Old 16-06-2021, 11:11   #346
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
“Technical articles” ... right.

Well you know the first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club.
There’s nothing wrong with my metacognition. But I think that some are having problems with their superiority complexes.
Old 16-06-2021, 14:26   #347
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
There’s nothing wrong with my metacognition. But I think that some are having problems with their superiority complexes.
Well done, you, on picking out a couple of words from the first paragraph of the Wiki article...

Quote:
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a hypothetical cognitive bias stating that people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability.

As described by social psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger, the bias results from an internal illusion in people of low ability and from an external misperception in people of high ability; that is, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others".[1] It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from people's inability to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their level of competence.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 14:31   #348
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Well done, you, on picking out a couple of words from the first paragraph of the Wiki article...
Yes, I thought you’d see the connection. Well done, Hugh.
Old 16-06-2021, 15:57   #349
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
So, there’s hundreds of channels of pure garbage out there (not counting +1s that’s essentially cheating ) that I think most could close by 2035. Not generally because broadcasters go to the wall (they’ll all stream anyway) but there will be competing pressure for bandwidth (especially on the cable network) and satellite operators reluctant to go further in commissioning many new birds.

I’ve said before OB is right in spotting trends my issue was always “to zero” - it’s difficult for market forces alone to drive that kind of radical change in a short timeframe. Viewers are agnostic but the nudge is well under way, investment in internet connectivity continues.

A Freeview service of 15-20 HD channels (if it’s worth selling off more bandwidth) and a satellite/cable offering of a further 40-60 UHD/HD channels supplemented by on-demand/streaming is something I could envisage by 2035. I could see streamers launching IPTV channels to promote content but I don’t see this as meaningfully changing the total.
That makes sense to me apart from "commissioning many new birds." which is obviously "shows". Something else on your mind at the time of typing, jfman?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 16:04   #350
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
That makes sense to me apart from "commissioning many new birds." which is obviously "shows". Something else on your mind at the time of typing, jfman?
Satellites get called birds because they fly.

I don't see SES or Eutelsat in a hurry to match the number up there right now for the 2035 to 2050 period, but I'm sure they will continue to provide something. In particular as they can be moved to different markets as the situation evolves.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 16:14   #351
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Satellites get called birds because they fly. ;
Ah, got it, thanks.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 16:25   #352
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
<snip>

Yet Netflix are discounting to Sky customers and Amazon to Vodafone customers.

<snip>
Maybe these are getting the carrier to handle the billing side of things so you get discount if you get the content bill added to carrier bill.

The carrier can then say they can offer content at discount, content can save on all the billing side of things by passing off to carrier.
Old 26-06-2021, 11:41   #353
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I think that in the medium term Freeview will be squeezed out more and more in favour of mobile phone spectrum.

This is when satellite use will increase as will reception via streaming and 5G.

Eventually DTH satellite use will wain as it will be seen as expensive, cumbersome, old fashioned and a contributor to space junk/non environmentally friendly practices.

In the long term I believe that all* TV, even traditional cable TV who are currently trialling IPTV, will be provided over the internet.

* Maybe for a time one mux will remain for the PSB channels and for national emergency purposes only. Anyone who complains will be told that they are still able to receive what they got in the days of analogue and that anything over and above this was a bonus.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 21:09   #354
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Oh dear! It’s at times like this the viewing audience wishes that these broadcast channels were receivable via IPTV.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2021...-east-england/

[EXTRACT]

Television and radio services for more than one million people will remain off-air “indefinitely” following a transmitter fire.

The blaze hit the mast at Bilsdale on Tuesday, disrupting Freeview, DAB and FM Radio signals across North Yorkshire, Teesside and parts of County Durham.
Old 11-08-2021, 21:15   #355
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Oh dear! It’s at times like this the viewing audience wishes that these broadcast channels were receivable via IPTV.

[EXTRACT]

Television and radio services for more than one million people will remain off-air “indefinitely” following a transmitter fire.

The blaze hit the mast at Bilsdale on Tuesday, disrupting Freeview, DAB and FM Radio signals across North Yorkshire, Teesside and parts of County Durham.
Where were you around 1pm on Tuesday afternoon?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 21:42   #356
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

[EXTRACT]

Most of that can be streamed anyway
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 21:56   #357
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

They could equally have wished they had satellite.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 22:55   #358
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

[EXTRACT]

Luckily, nothing like that could happen to IPTV…

Oh, wait…

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...d-outages.html

Quote:
A new Opinium survey of 4,000 UK adults, which was commissioned by Uswitch, has claimed that 14.85 million people have been hit by a “major broadband outage” in the last year – this is said to be three times the number of the previous year’s survey (4.7 million).

Put another way, some 47% of respondents said they had experienced a loss of broadband connection (of any kind) over the last 12 months, while 60% of those people reported that their broadband cut out for more than 3 hours because of a “genuine outage” (i.e. one caused by a “power cut“, the broadband ISP, damage to cables external to a property or routine maintenance to cables external to a property).

The average home affected by broadband outages was said to have been left offline for more than 2 days over the course of the last 12 months.
Old 12-08-2021, 00:58   #359
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Where were you around 1pm on Tuesday afternoon?
I’d really rather not say…

---------- Post added at 23:58 ---------- Previous post was at 23:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Luckily, nothing like that could happen to IPTV…

Oh, wait…

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...d-outages.html
Yes, 2 days is dreadful. I hope that never happens to me.

But ‘indefinitely’ is worse, wouldn’t you agree?
Old 12-08-2021, 10:23   #360
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

An average of more than 2 days, not a max...

Quote:
The average home affected by broadband outages was said to have been left offline for more than 2 days over the course of the last 12 months
Edinburgh had an average total down time of over 7 days last year, according to the article, while Bristol had nearly 5 days.

Anyway, services are being restored.

https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2...as-caught-fire
Quote:
Engineers have partially restored some TV and radio services to 'hundreds of thousands' of homes in the region.

Last edited by Hugh; 12-08-2021 at 10:26.