Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of television

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion

The future of television

Old 04-03-2021, 00:14   #16
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Sadly Chris I think the future of TV is very bleak!!!
It is not all down hill but I agree that it is not what it once was. With all the streaming services out there now there is too much emphasis on quantity over quality and banging out as many new series and movies as possible. I have said it many a time before, I have got enough tv series to keep me going for a few decades without having anything new to watch. Since xmas I have rewatched Lost, ST Enterprise and I am currently on the second season of SG Universe. When I have finished it Jeremiah is next on my list. People always criticise repeats and want something new to watch but I would rather have one superb series like The Expanse than 20 mediocre ones which either get cancelled or you half watch while you are playing on your phone. TV is meant to be something you enjoy and not just something to pass the time.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2021, 06:32   #17
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Yea I hear ya General!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:01   #18
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
So ... everyone back to 1981 then?
Channel 4 was the start of the decline...
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:59   #19
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
So ... everyone back to 1981 then?
Yes please

My thumb has blisters from endlessly clicking through about 100 channels in search of something remotely interesting . . and if I do find something the adverts appear 20 seconds later

If we stopped making 90 channels of dross, the money saved could be used to produce better quality programs on what's left.

Another huge advantage would be the amount of no-name 'celebrities' who would suddenly find they have to get a bloody job instead of being paid to be on TV shows that are simply a filler between adverts.

*first post since returning from a self imposed exile for a month or so
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:23   #20
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Not sure of your point?

You stated

If someone intends not to use something after a date (2027), surely that precludes using it from 2027 until 2035?
I did not say 'immediately afterwards', Hugh. The article I was referring to said the Beeb was planning to do this in the 2030s, after the next licence fee review.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:27   #21
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I did not say 'immediately afterwards', Hugh. The article I was referring to said the Beeb was planning to do this in the 2030s, after the next licence fee review.
And yet still no link ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 13:14   #22
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I think I know where the 2035 date has come from; i've been told that this is when the contract for Arqiva to supply transmission facilities for the BBC expires. I've read an article by the BBC that says that the BBC intend to move over to internet delivery long term. I'll see if I can find it, if not i'll ask a contact who will know. There are now more people with some sort of internet access capable of streaming live TV available to them than there is Freeview coverage. I doubt it's a coincidence either that the two largest ISP's (Sky & BT) are also broadcasters.

In practice, I think that one PSB DTT mux will remain for some time after the rest of the frequencies have been sold off to the mobile phone companies. I imagine that people who complain about this will be told that they still have more channels than the analogue system that DTT replaced at DSO.

The internet isn't perfect and they will need to be able to get messages out to the public in an emergency, don't know if this is still the case, but there was a provision in the law that allows the Government to make the BBC the mouthpiece of the Government in such an emergency.

I think that, long term, this will apply to satellite delivery too. Sky have just signed a new contract with SES for their satellite capacity for another five years. This is much shorter than their previous agreements.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 04-03-2021 at 13:22.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 14:08   #23
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You are indulging in casuistry....

Someone states today "I won’t drink any alcohol after today".

Next day, someone spots them having a beer, and they say "I didn’t mean immediately after yesterday!".

Sure, Jan...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 14:24   #24
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
And yet still no link ...
There's this one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2014-0...r-the-internet
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 15:59   #25
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
A very interesting technical document, but with no proposed 'switch off' date for Freeview - whether 2027, 2035, or any other date Old Boy may or may not have floated at some point in this long and meandering discussion.

As there is an ambition to eventually get high-speed data connections into every British home, IP delivery makes sense in the long run. There are various logistical challenges to overcome though, not least of which is ensuring the national grid has enough juice to power data networks that would be working exponentially harder than they do today.

And, lest we forget, if BBC One transmits its schedule over IP, with the News at 6, something with Nick Knowles at 8, drama at 9 and the news again at 10 ... that is still linear TV, regardless of what they're using to get the programme from their studio to your home.
Old 04-03-2021, 16:26   #26
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Something from another thread last year, but relevant to this.

The future of DTT from The House of Lords Select Committee on Communications and Digital - 1st Report of Session 2019 - published 5th November 2019.

https://publications.parliament.uk/p...muni/16/16.pdf

Pages 64-65
Quote:
250. Digital UK argued that DTT was necessary to safeguard the universal free availability of public service broadcasting. It noted that the future delivery of all TV through the internet was “conceivable” but it highlighted a number of challenges for this prospect. Broadband is still not universal: 13 per cent of adults do not have it. Broadband is associated with a monthly subscription contract which undermines the notion of ‘free TV’. It is also not as reliable or secure, and the internet TV industry is still developing.

251. Digital terrestrial television (DTT) will remain a major way for people to access linear television. The Government and Ofcom must ensure the continued provision of free spectrum for PSB output through DTT.
Their bold italics, not mine...

The relevance is that, at the moment, if you have a TV and an aerial (indoor or outdoor), you can watch Freeview TV at no extra expense, and with very little fuss (except for occasionally retuning the TV, and sometimes fiddling with the aerial if internal).

At the moment, 82% of the UK population have Broadband Access (not Internet Access, as people can have that through their smartphones) - under the IPTV delivery method (be it broadcast channels or SVOD, it's irrelevant), anyone without Broadband would be denied access to Freeview TV.

First issue, additional expense in purchasing Fixed Broadband so you can watch Freeview TV.

Next, if, like a lot of people, you have multiple TVs in your house, again, all you currently need is an aerial socket, or like me, the TVs in our bedroom and one of the other bedrooms just have a set-top aerial. If we had IP/Broadband delivered TV, people would need the wifi to be good enough, or network sockets, in those rooms.

Second issue, additional cost in setting up appropriate network/wifi connectivity to other TVs - especially in older houses with thick walls.

Then, what happens if the Broadband goes down? - no TV.
At the moment, if our Broadband goes down, we just go to the Digital channels, and carry on watching (if the programme is on Freeview, obviously). Or, over-utilisation or interference in your area could affect the quality of the programmes you are watching, due to the bandwidth being negatively affected/disrupted - remember the story late last year about a village having 18 months of slow speeds because of an old TV?

Third issue, if you lose your internet connection (or have it degraded), poor quality or no Freeview TV.
Old 04-03-2021, 17:23   #27
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

This supports my view that one mux will remain for PSB channels for the foreseeable future; that doesn't neccesarily mean that Freeview will deliver anywhere near the number of channels it does today though.

In fact, the number of channels will reduce either this year or next year when Com7 is closed.
Old 04-03-2021, 17:58   #28
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
A very interesting technical document, but with no proposed 'switch off' date for Freeview - whether 2027, 2035, or any other date Old Boy may or may not have floated at some point in this long and meandering discussion.

As there is an ambition to eventually get high-speed data connections into every British home, IP delivery makes sense in the long run. There are various logistical challenges to overcome though, not least of which is ensuring the national grid has enough juice to power data networks that would be working exponentially harder than they do today.

And, lest we forget, if BBC One transmits its schedule over IP, with the News at 6, something with Nick Knowles at 8, drama at 9 and the news again at 10 ... that is still linear TV, regardless of what they're using to get the programme from their studio to your home.
Are you sure? I thought the definition was...

Quote:
Linear TV is live in the sense that we are watching it as it is being broadcast. That’s why it is often described as ‘live TV’.
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=1615
Old 04-03-2021, 18:17   #29
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Nope. Those particular goalposts were shifted so far even the pie shop was offside.
Old 04-03-2021, 18:47   #30
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I don't understand the last two posts, aren't they the same thing ie linear TV is linear TV whether broadcast over the internet or the airwaves?