Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1gig Rollout getting faster

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

1gig Rollout getting faster

Old 10-12-2021, 14:58   #466
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Are there benefits switching to VIOP from the physically land line?
Not really at the moment, they basically behave in exactly the same way, just come from a different socket.
Old 10-12-2021, 15:04   #467
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
So what's it actually worth? When you add everything together, I think you'll find it's good value IF you're going to be using it all.

For someone that just has 30gb sim and broadband, you're obviously not going to see the value.
Well said, something is only 'worth' the value you place on it for how much it's used.

My 'smart' phone costs £9 a month (Tesco), I don't game on it, watch movies or sport on it, no email set up, no social media either. It's used as a phone, not a multimedia device.
My internet is 100Mb, plenty good enough for the use it gets . . . and it gets a lot of use (2 people working from home and a daughter with an iPad glued to her hands). An upgrade would just cost me more money . . for the same amount of use.
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 15:43   #468
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Are there benefits switching to VIOP from the physically land line?
Not really, Ian. But VM will be closing their copper landline network and if you want to continue taking VM phone services, you'll be forced down this route if you have a Hub 3/Hub 4.

There are downsides of IP telephony should you have a power failure at home. I can maintain my Hub 4 for a couple of hours via my UPS if I'm frugal with other stuff attached to it. But then there's always the iphone or equivalent.

Btw, I made my report here because so little is said about telephony and modem mode.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 16:28   #469
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
No, you can't fix it yourself, it has to be done remotely by VM
Thank you for that Ben. I just rang them again and a lady answered who sounded like she had a bucket on her head so I don't know if she was working from home or not.

We went through rebooting the Hub 4 and unplugging the pods but still had the green and white lights blinking. She then told me that she was putting me though to someone higher up (that knows what they are talking about?) and suggested it might be better if they replaced the pods. So as I waited to be put through, an atomated message came through asking me to enter the employee number of the person I wish to speak to. Of course,I didn't have this and the message said the person isn't available then hung me up.

I will have to call tham again on Sunday as I'm working a late night tomorrow.
Old 10-12-2021, 19:45   #470
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Not really, Ian. But VM will be closing their copper landline network and if you want to continue taking VM phone services, you'll be forced down this route if you have a Hub 3/Hub 4.

There are downsides of IP telephony should you have a power failure at home. I can maintain my Hub 4 for a couple of hours via my UPS if I'm frugal with other stuff attached to it. But then there's always the iphone or equivalent.

Btw, I made my report here because so little is said about telephony and modem mode.
That's really interesting, thanks for your perspective. I now have a Hub 5 so I am guessing that this also has the VOIP option.
Old 10-12-2021, 20:18   #471
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Not currently which is why anyone with the Hub based line haven't been on the invite list, but it will do before the full launch
Old 10-12-2021, 21:38   #472
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
That's really interesting, thanks for your perspective. I now have a Hub 5 so I am guessing that this also has the VOIP option.
Thew rear of the Hub 5 is identical with the Hub 4. Picture at https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...nd-router.html - but then you know this. You call VM support, give them the necessary details and they'll activate the telephone port.

The Hub 5 should have been supplied with an adaptor to fit the RJ11 cable that a landline phone has. Then hook up you landline phone and bingo.

Old 10-12-2021, 21:42   #473
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Thew rear of the Hub 5 is identical with the Hub 4. Picture at https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...nd-router.html - but then you know this. You call VM support, give them the necessary details and they'll activate the telephone port.

The Hub 5 should have been supplied with an adaptor to fit the RJ11 cable that a landline phone has. Then hook up you landline phone and bingo.
Hub 5 doesn't yet work with the 21CV service. No-one on it should have been sent a Hub 5 and anyone with a Hub 5 won't be offered a swap to 21CV yet.
Old 10-12-2021, 22:05   #474
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Hub 5 doesn't yet work with the 21CV service. No-one on it should have been sent a Hub 5 and anyone with a Hub 5 won't be offered a swap to 21CV yet.
Well, well, well. Good job Ben picked up on this. But I am surprised; seems regressive.

Old 10-12-2021, 22:42   #475
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

It's temporary but one of the reasons why the Hub 5 is still invite only. When it goes on general release it will work with 21cv
Old 24-12-2021, 18:06   #476
j0s0r
cf.member

j0s0r is an unknown quantity at this point

Upgraded to the 1 gig. The speeds are shit, normally I use modem mode and noticed that the speeds wasn't as fast as it should be, just put it in router mode to do the samknows speedtest.

Did another today and the download speed is terrible.

This is my current speedtest direct from the gateway.
j0s0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 18:34   #477
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

that's telling you that you are physically receiving 1gbit to your property and the shub. The speed reduction and problem lies within your network and your own equipment after the shub so you need to be looking at network cables, the nics on your client and the throughput on any intermediate switches and routers.

As an example, I knew my old Asus router would max out at 740mbits so I bought a new one which gives me 940+.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 13:14   #478
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
<snip>
As an example, I knew my old Asus router would max out at 740mbits so I bought a new one which gives me 940+.
Yes, same boat here as my existing Draytek has a max WAN throughput of 300MB. The newer version caps at 2.4GB, so an upgrade is due at some point.
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 15:20   #479
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by adduxi View Post
Yes, same boat here as my existing Draytek has a max WAN throughput of 300MB. The newer version caps at 2.4GB, so an upgrade is due at some point.
Would you be able to game the NI Protocol by choosing best price/value as between shipped from GB or shipped from Eire?

If I had 1Gig router woes (as I did two years ago), I'd get my new router immediately. In my case, I got a good as new router from ebay - mind you, not 2.5Gig. I don't have any serious LAN traffic so, for now, I don't need that.

Old 29-12-2021, 14:26   #480
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Would you be able to game the NI Protocol by choosing best price/value as between shipped from GB or shipped from Eire?

Unfortunately the newer Draytek expects the BT (in my case) to be Ethernet, i.e from the ONT. However as I'm still waiting for FTTP this newer Router is no go at the moment. They do a lower model for FTTC & VM but it caps out at 900mb.

Yes the Protocol, I don't think it would make much difference either way, as I can just drive over the border and buy in Euros. The exchange rate would have the sway on price when buying. The protocol has made no difference to me for buying anything in general.
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote