Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hub 5 at no extra cost

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Hub 5 at no extra cost

Old 20-10-2021, 11:13   #31
gordon861
cf.member

gordon861 is on a distinguished roadgordon861 is on a distinguished road
Re: Hub 5 at no extra cost

Well the thread came back, so it looks like it was just hidden.

But of course, the VirginMedia MOD Team totally ignore any atempt to reach out to them short of sending a PM. But I can't send them a PM because the last time I did I was threatened with sanctions, despite another MOD asking me to do so.
gordon861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-10-2021, 11:18   #32
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

I wonder if the 2.5 port will be the modem mode WAN port, or if they're going to be awkward and limit that to a 1gig port
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 11:18   #33
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Any news on the manufacturer and chipset?
Old 20-10-2021, 11:38   #34
gordon861
cf.member

Only official stuff seems to be:
https://news.virginmediao2.co.uk/vir...adband-router/

For some reason MalwareBytes warns about the site though.
Old 20-10-2021, 11:40   #35
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Any news on the manufacturer and chipset?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon861 View Post
Only official stuff seems to be:
https://news.virginmediao2.co.uk/vir...adband-router/

For some reason MalwareBytes warns about the site though.
Isp review have page for it too

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...nd-router.html

Quote:
Additional Hub 5 Specs

Broadband – DOCSIS3.1/3.0 Broadcom 3390S

WiFi:
5 x Antennae
4 x 4 MiMo 5Ghz Broadcom 6715
3 x 3 MiMo 2.4Ghz Broadcom 6710
WiFi 6

Ethernet:
1 x 2.5Gbps Broadcom 54991EL
3 x 1Gbps Broadcom 3390S
Old 20-10-2021, 11:48   #36
gordon861
cf.member

Looking at that picture, what's the chances the Modem Mode is via port 1 rather than 4.
Old 20-10-2021, 12:08   #37
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Looking at that picture, what's the chances the Modem Mode is via port 1 rather than 4.
I'll be interested in hearing how you get on with the Hub 5.
Old 20-10-2021, 12:15   #38
gordon861
cf.member

It would be nice if it can replace my 10 year old ASUS Router.

I expect to be doing a lot of screen shots and photos of the manual on Monday if it arrives.
Old 20-10-2021, 12:39   #39
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I wish they would define eligible customers but I thought I read being offered to older hub 3 customers first and I was on the original trial but only on 200mbit.
If HUB 5 is part of the push to 'future-proof' then why dish it out to people on lower tiers with older hubs that are doing their job atm?

Surely eligible customers are those on 1.2Gb who might benefit from the 2.5Gb port.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 12:47   #40
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
If HUB 5 is part of the push to 'future-proof' then why dish it out to people on lower tiers with older hubs that are doing their job atm?

Surely eligible customers are those on 1.2Gb who might benefit from the 2.5Gb port.
Any controlled pilot of hardware needs to be done for a range of customers, not just the 'top tier' people.

That means that you get a good idea of how different usage performs for both the customer experience and also on the systems in Virgin Media.
Old 20-10-2021, 13:29   #41
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Any controlled pilot of hardware needs to be done for a range of customers, not just the 'top tier' people.

That means that you get a good idea of how different usage performs for both the customer experience and also on the systems in Virgin Media.
Does this mean I might get a free one for my basic 100M and Tivo?
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 15:03   #42
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
It would be nice if it can replace my 10 year old ASUS Router.

I expect to be doing a lot of screen shots and photos of the manual on Monday if it arrives.
It depends what you use your ASUS (ahem) for. If you use it as a VPN server, for example, I doubt if VM would provide a router that will do anything much more than basic routing, port forwarding, firewalling and WiFi.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 23:14   #43
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Everyone will need a Hub 3 or later in order to complete the decommission of the cable analogue phone network.
I see the reason for this but can't think it's a good idea.

It may well be true these days that most people have mobiles and the coverage is good where they live, and that they are on a deal which means that calling VM from the mobile to report a fault is both possible and not crippling with their tariff (e.g. they aren't still on PAYG).

But when the old cable phone network is removed, or turned off as they're not gonna remove the cables in houses, making and receiving phone calls will be dependent on VOIP which means that if the internet is down then this won't work either. And you're not gonna call faults to have a chat so will only be able to do it at this time

And sure this is a minority case but it'd need installing in principle a broadband connection in people's houses who have say for example VM phone (with maybe TV as well) but no BB if they have no computers or smartphones/ipads and surely in the short term this is also going to be expense for VM with all the engineer visits to install the termination point for a hub purely to use VOIP as well as the replacement handsets they'll need if existing ones can't be terminated (or used via an adapter) with a normal phone socket.

nffc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 01:38   #44
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

That's all already happening as some areas are already moving to Hub only based lines.

Customers who don't have Virgin Fibre still get a Hub 3 (or possibly a 4) but without any active broadband service, only the phone sockets are active.

Anyone who needs an engineer visit will get one

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/hom...one/switchover

Last edited by BenMcr; 21-10-2021 at 01:42.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 08:38   #45
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
That's all already happening as some areas are already moving to Hub only based lines.

Customers who don't have Virgin Fibre still get a Hub 3 (or possibly a 4) but without any active broadband service, only the phone sockets are active.

Anyone who needs an engineer visit will get one

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/hom...one/switchover
Yes, but the dependence on a working internet connection to use the landline phone is a big flaw (admittedly, I think Openreach are planning something similar) when the internet connection is down. It means you'd have to use a mobile.

nffc is online now   Reply With Quote